Quantcast
2009 imac black screen wont' boot up - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2009 imac black screen wont' boot up

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

it's an iMac, therefore completely irrelevant whether its a GPU or logic board failure. Either way, the machine is trash.

You should try ram but I doubt that's the issue.

For a 3.5" drive you definitely need something with external power, whether its a dock or an enclosure. I have a POS powered dock that I keep around for this purpose. Startech i think and cost around 30 bucks.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Thanks 300havoc and killramos. I did take the ram out and powered it on - there was a loud tone but nothing else as the screen stayed black. I tried the safe mode before but it just stayed black. I'll try it again and report back. Good to know about the dock vs enclosure. Would this be the similar to what you have: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10292172.aspx?
    marching to the beat of my own drum.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    it's an iMac, therefore completely irrelevant whether its a GPU or logic board failure. Either way, the machine is trash.
    Ya, that's what I've been trying to say.

It's a 7-8 year old computer that's at the end of its lifespan. Don't put it a dime into it, as it will just be a further money pit.

And yes, a 3.5" drive needs a separate power supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aragingbull View Post
    Thanks 300havoc and killramos. I did take the ram out and powered it on - there was a loud tone but nothing else as the screen stayed black. I tried the safe mode before but it just stayed black. I'll try it again and report back. Good to know about the dock vs enclosure. Would this be the similar to what you have: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10292172.aspx?
    Yes, that enclosure is fine. It will come with the power adapter.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 02-18-2018 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I wouldn't replace parts on it, if thats what you mean. For a 2009 it isn't worth it to repair IMO. From a troubleshooting/repairing standpoint however, it does matter if it's a GPU or logic board failure. The GPU is a seperate part, and disconnects from the logic board. Cost wise, the GPU is cheaper than a logic board to replace if fixing the machine was the desired outcome. I agree that if the outcome is just getting the files off the device, it dosn't matter where the issue is.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly the enclosure I picked up. Works great for me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I definitely want the files off the hard drive but if I can salvage the imac, I would. I saw the price of a GPU on ebay and it's kinda pricey so if the safe mode doesn't work, I'm gonna head to bb for the hard drive enclosure.
    marching to the beat of my own drum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2