Quantcast
Garage heating alternatives? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage heating alternatives?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another issue I should have mentioned is I don’t have 220 to run a high wattage electric heater. Sucks, the person before us built a beautiful insulated garage but wasn’t a car guy or DIYer so didn’t equip it beyond the bare minimum. I figure if I go to the trouble to run 220 out there I might as well go the little extra to do gas.
    This was the big reason I went with gas. 1 electric heater wasn't enough to keep my insulated 2 car garage warm in the winter and 2 would pop the fuse.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This, this is the life of the true baller.
    And a baller that wants rusty cars Also, we're talking about a temperature to work on cars at. When I work on cars, 20*C is way too warm if doing any serious work.

Thermall coveralls at 10*C J-hop? Jesus man, maybe you just shouldn't work on your car in the winter, probably should wear painters coveralls and tape up your wrists so no dirty salt water gets on you

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Whoa tons of great responses. I’ll have to spend more time reading them tonight.

Another issue I should have mentioned is I don’t have 220 to run a high wattage electric heater.
    Why would you need 220?? A 15 amp breaker can run a single 1200w heater, are all of your outlets on ONE breaker? They certainly shouldn't be, I guess in theory they could be but I doubt it. Buy two 1200w heaters, 10 amps each, ran on outlets on different breakers. Problem solved.

Edit-
    Keep in mind, I'm just bugging you about these things. Just some of the responses we are getting are very... Mar like :p
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 02-16-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Haha no worries, I was thinking back to your 2400w heater for heating a 24x24, mine is only slightly smaller than that. Need to remeasure though, I keep forgetting. I think it’s 22x22 or 22x20

One on each might work.

Edit: totally missed your 10C comment haha. Yea man, I’m getting super soft. But yea 10C in the garage with thermal converalls would feel like +20 haha.

I did an oil change recently on my truck in the alley at -15, that was shit
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-16-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Got a south facing window?

DIY solar air to air or air to water - using solar panels to power up a 12v washer pump or small fans - kept my garage in btown fairly comfortable. Just set them into the slider Windows and tuck taped.
    No south facing window (only one north facing non-opening window I currently have covered up).

But I did seriously consider some sort of solar heating!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Why would you need 220?? A 15 amp breaker can run a single 1200w heater, are all of your outlets on ONE breaker? They certainly shouldn't be, I guess in theory they could be but I doubt it.
    It's entirely possible. I have two friends with garages (one attached, one detached) that are are fed from a single 15A/120V breaker. Mid-2000s builds.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

And a baller that wants rusty cars
    Ballers don't keep winter beaters long enough to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    It's entirely possible. I have two friends with garages (one attached, one detached) that are are fed from a single 15A/120V breaker. Mid-2000s builds.
    Single breaker for all my outlets in the garage as well. Thought that was the norm.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Single breaker for all my outlets in the garage as well. Thought that was the norm.
    Yea actually thinking about it now I may be on a single breaker too. Again another great feature when a garage is built without the intent to run stuff in it
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-16-2018 at 05:12 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Who needs that much power for junk and Christmas ornaments.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My recommendation: definitely insulate and vapour barrier the attic (I believe you mentioned the walls were already insulated and vapour barriered). And pay attention to the seal on the garage door(s). That way, whatever you decide to do for heat will not be lost to the outdoors or up into the attic.

I'm currently using a mix of portable propane torpedo heater and 240 volt 4800 watt electric heat. Both my garages have sub-panels in them (60 amp), so it was no problem wiring in the appropriate receptacle.

I use the 30 pound propane tanks off my travel trailer for the propane heater when needed to take the chill off, then use the electric heater as my primary heat source. Can't run the propane heater too much as it pumps CO into the air, as well as some moisture (not good when staining wood), and it's fairly loud when running full out.

Electric heater from Can Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0522638p.html
    (Princess Auto sells refurbished ones like this for $20 cheaper)

Mr. Heater propane torpedo from Princess Auto: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8264541e
    (I bought mine years ago, on sale, at a much cheaper price than they are now. Also, I probably wouldn't buy as powerful a heater if I bought it again.)

I will be going to a ceiling-hung natural gas heater sometime this year because I will be doing quite a bit of mixed work in my garage throughout the year: some metal/welding, some wood work, general repairs to things like lawn mowers, snow blowers, small appliances, etc. A ceiling hung NG is much more suited for that.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Why not just run a duct to the garage and heat the garage using the same furnace that's already heating the rest of the house?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Why not just run a duct to the garage and heat the garage using the same furnace that's already heating the rest of the house?
    uh... building/fire code?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I can get deals on Modine "Hot Dawg" and others. I made the mistake once running a 5 or 10kw ouellet elect forced air heater for a month = $500+ electric bill lol. I saved tons of money digging the trench for the gas line myself. Tee'd off for my bbq also, cost around $650 including permit for the fitter!

What you need are 2 or 3 of those oil filled electric heaters. My grandpa used them in his garage and kept it quite warm.
    Run them on low all the time, play with the thermostats after 24 hrs. They don't use a lot of current and hold/radiate heat for a long time. Maybe a few newish used from kijiji?

I think honeywell maybe makes the safest one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ga...-0435994p.html
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I just renovated my garage and upgraded to a Reznor, I have the old furnace for sale on kijiji and I'll take any offer rather then throw it in the garbage. It's an extremely simple gas fired heater that does not require any wiring as it has no fan. Nothing wrong with it, it works great. Somebody take it away!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humid...ationFlag=true
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    KTM

Doesn't everyone who has a garage heater do this? What's the point otherwise?

I haven't worn a jacket all winter. T-shirt, hop in car. Heated garage at home and heated garage at work. 20C year round FTW.
    Hahahaha same here. Its the best- toss a spare winter jacket in the trunk and I wear a spring jacket or nothing. Underground parking is awesome.

....... also radiant head FTW

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    Certain that is illegal and not safe. Garage fumes (c02) can enter house is the reason I think.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Doesn't everyone who has a garage heater do this? What's the point otherwise?
    haha word man, my garage is 20c all winter long
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    haha word man, my garage is 20c all winter long
    Way easier to do that with a rear detached, the family uses the garage door 15 times a day at my house haha. I settle for about 10 degs and crank it when working!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    Way easier to do that with a rear detached, the family uses the garage door 15 times a day at my house haha. I settle for about 10 degs and crank it when working!
    Our garage is open a lot too sometimes left open for a bit losing all heat. Close the door, 10 mins later, back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post

What you need are 2 or 3 of those oil filled electric heaters. My grandpa used them in his garage and kept it quite warm.
    Run them on low all the time, play with the thermostats after 24 hrs. They don't use a lot of current and hold/radiate heat for a long time. Maybe a few newish used from kijiji?
    All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Given the same power input, all put out the same amount of heat. That is, an oil filled heater isn't more electrically efficient than a coil heater. One main disadvantage of the typical oil heaters, is that the heat rises vertically and goes straight to the ceiling. A forced air electric heater blows the air across the floor and as such, distributes the heat much more efficiently.

Another misconception is that oil heaters are better because they emit heat for a period of time even after they're turned off. That is meaningless, as they take an equivalent time to heat up and start producing heat.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Given the same power input, all put out the same amount of heat.
    Seth said a smart thing. Totally agree with the physics of this statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

And a baller that wants rusty cars
    Drains and a dehumidifier FTW.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast