Quantcast
Alberta spent $27.4M in taxpayer subsidies to 15 elite private schools last year - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta spent $27.4M in taxpayer subsidies to 15 elite private schools last year

My Ride
    95B

Default Alberta spent $27.4M in taxpayer subsidies to 15 elite private schools last year

This is nuts. How is this is acceptable???
    Alberta spent $27.4 million of public funds on subsidies to the province's 15 most expensive private schools last year, according to information obtained in a freedom of information request to Alberta Education from a progressive advocacy group.

Progress Alberta said that funds that currently go toward the province's most elite private schools could instead pay for six new schools, 109 new playgrounds or 272 teachers' salaries.

"Public dollars should remain with public schools, for the greater good," said Barbara Silva, of Support our Students Alberta, a public education advocacy group.

One of the schools receiving public funds, Strathcona-Tweedsmuir School, charges between $15,000 and $22,285 per student per year, on top of a $3,500 registration fee for new students, $800 to $1,000 for student uniforms, and $2,570 for bussing, among other fees.

Public dollars should remain with public schools, for the greater good.
    - Barbara Silva, of Support our Students Alberta
    The school received $3,634,765.42 in taxpayer subsidies in the 2016-2017 school year, according to the documents obtained by Progress Alberta.

All of the schools listed charge more than $10,000 per year in tuition.

Silva said she believes that cutting funding to private schools likely wouldn't have parents clamouring to return to the public system.

"Especially when you're considering the elite programs, those families are looking for an alternative experience," she said, listing smaller classrooms, more gyms, more comprehensive access to musical instruments, and more expensive and frequent field trips as a few of the perks private school students enjoy.

"I think most private school parents are completely unaware that their kids even get public dollars in government funding," she said.

But axing funds to the private system would impact more than just the elite schools.

John Jaegersma, executive director of the Association of Independent Schools and Colleges Alberta, said it's a misconception that all private school families are wealthy, as tuition can vary significantly between the wealthy schools listed and others in the private system.

"Eighty-two per cent of the families in our schools have a lower household income in Alberta than the provincial average," he said.

'It's not about dollars, it's about equity'
    He also said private schools cater to different cultural and faith backgrounds, as well as learning philosophies like Montessori or Waldorf, that aren't served by the public system.

"It's not all about dollars. It's also about equity," he said. "To try and undermine that with a pretentious argument that there's money to be saved, it's pretty unfortunate."

Statistics show that private schools don't actually out-perform the public system, Silva said, and any differences in achievement do relate directly to the parents' socioeconomic status.

She said she'd like to see a shift in attitude toward the public system, and have private students return to public schools.

"I think that would pressure the government to fund the system even better," she said.

Petition circulating to stop funding
    Stephen Magusiak, a volunteer with Progress Alberta, visited the Alberta Teachers' Convention in downtown Calgary on Thursday to collect signatures on a petition calling on the provincial government to stop funding private schools.

He said that the rationale that private schools exist to cater to students that slip through the cracks isn't valid, as the funding could enable public schools to help those students and reduce large class sizes.

"It should not fall on the private sector to take care of special needs students and the like," said Magusiak.

"Hopefully with $27 million a year in funding a year freed up, more attention could be paid to special programs."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...dies-1.4538215

My Ride
    Silverado

Fire teachers

fire nurses

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Did the students that go to these schools receive more, less or the same amount per student compared to students in the public, catholic and charter school systems?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Did the students that go to these schools receive more, less or the same amount per student compared to students in the public, catholic and charter school systems?
    My daughter goes to a Charter school and they get more funding per student compared to Public school. That is only because the kids that are in charter school are coded.

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    My daughter goes to a Charter school and they get more funding per student compared to Public school. That is only because the kids that are in charter school are coded.
    Westmount? No, they don't. They get less per student. Gifted coding adds zero dollars.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Westmount? No, they don't. They get less per student. Gifted coding adds zero dollars.
    Westmount Yes. I was told that they get more because of IPP. I could be wrong.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

At least the kids are gifted

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

They get the same or less. Double coding might get your more. My kid isn't double coded, so I have no idea.

I find it ironic that you posted this considering your kid goes to a charter school and gets special funding. Sure it is a "public" school, but you could live across the street and not be able to go there.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    They get the same or less. Double coding might get your more. My kid isn't double coded, so I have no idea.

I find it ironic that you posted this considering your kid goes to a charter school and gets special funding. Sure it is a "public" school, but you could live across the street and not be able to go there.
    As you said charter school is a public school. They don't get any special funding. Charter school is not a privately owned business where as private schools are. So how it is fair to take your tax dollars and put it towards a privately owned business?

My Ride
    ute

What are the total tax bills of the parents who send their kids to these schools. What percentage of the public coffers do they fund?

Yes, you are wrong.

My Ride
    95B

Yes, you are wrong.
    A funded student who is assessed and identified as having a mild, moderate or severe disability or who
    is gifted and talented as defined in the Special Education Coding Criteria. It is a mandatory requirement
    for any student with special education needs to have an Individual Program Plan (IPP). The IPP is
    intended to create meaningful and successful learning opportunities that use the programs of study as a
    starting point of instruction

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I always thought a school got extra funding for all coded students with an IPP, no matter which code that was. Isn't that the phone point of coding and setting up IPP's? They sure are a hassle for the teachers and school administration.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ My wife seems to indicate that that is the case. Won’t go into details but she just went through a big hoopla between admin and a set of parents over their kid being coded. Admin wanted the funds.

The CL at my high school also noted it was the case, I had the gifted “code” and ipp from elementary all the way through and admin always indicated that it was a ploy to increase funding despite them doing sfa for me about the code.

I think overall it is a bit more complicated that “more funding for coded kids” as a general rule but the ipp basically exists to justify to admin to grant your kid extra attention. Which costs money.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

As you said charter school is a public school. They don't get any special funding. Charter school is not a privately owned business where as private schools are. So how it is fair to take your tax dollars and put it towards a privately owned business?
    the ndp gives lots of our money to green energy companies.

A funded student who is assessed and identified as having a mild, moderate or severe disability or who
    is gifted and talented as defined in the Special Education Coding Criteria. It is a mandatory requirement
    for any student with special education needs to have an Individual Program Plan (IPP). The IPP is
    intended to create meaningful and successful learning opportunities that use the programs of study as a
    starting point of instruction
    Thank you Mr. Cut and Paste. Where does it say in there that there's extra money attached?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I always thought a school got extra funding for all coded students with an IPP, no matter which code that was. Isn't that the phone point of coding and setting up IPP's? They sure are a hassle for the teachers and school administration.
    No this is wrong. Call up the Principal of Westmount or the administrator of the GATE program.

My Ride
    95B

Thank you Mr. Cut and Paste. Where does it say in there that there's extra money attached?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to get into a piss match with you. I simply posted what read. If you information which contradicts that that is fine.
    Thanks for pointing out the C&P. No one else Noticed it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

As for this specific issue with private schools. Why shouldn’t education tax dollars that parents pay be able to be used toward funding part of their students at private schools.

How is this any different than picking public or catholic for your taxes? Would it make people happier if there was a third option to allocate to private of your choice?

As long as per student funding is the same I see no problem with this.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

As long as per student funding is the same I see no problem with this.
    that's my opinion. My kids go to public school, but I have no issue with the funding following the student to the family's school of choice.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So how it is fair to take your tax dollars and put it towards a privately owned business?
    I'd hate for you to find out how much this happens across all businesses. From straight dollars to tax breaks and incentives, tons of tax dollars goes towards private businesses, including mine.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast