Quantcast
Vacation Suggestions with a 5 month old baby - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vacation Suggestions with a 5 month old baby

I find people who complain about the food at a resort go to a low quality resort and actually expect amazing food.

When I got to lower level resorts the food usually sucks.

When I have paid for much better resorts the food is much better.

But hey, I actually do research and prepare accordingly.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find people who complain about the food at a resort go to a low quality resort and actually expect amazing food.

When I got to lower level resorts the food usually sucks.

When I have paid for much better resorts the food is much better.

But hey, I actually do research and prepare accordingly.
    Maybe. I'm one of the ones that complained about food, but also did research and spent the money for a nicer resort (nearly $2k/pp).

Leave your kids at home with grandparents and put the money you would've spent on them for a trip they won't remember or appreciate into a RESP.

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    We went to PV last Aug when our little one was 7 months old. It was his first plane trip and he was actually quite the relaxed little bugger even in the summer heat. It was the 3.5 y/o daughter that whined every single day and refused to sleep on the plane even though she even said she was tired. She had flown a handful of times before too so it wasn't like it was her first time flying.

Anyway, we stayed at a 4.5 star AI with direct access to the beach. The place was called Sunset Plaza (https://www.hotelsunsetplaza.com/en) and was a newly renovated facility right in the heart of PV (not north into Nuevo Vallarta). Within walking distance to everything too! The building itself was only some 12 stories tall with some 8 units per floor (all with full kitchens but we opted for the AI package) so fairly small resort, and 100% of the rooms directly faced the ocean. Our 10th floor suite had better views than even our honeymoon suite some 8 yrs ago to St. Lucia and for less money! The food was absolutely amazing too (before kids, we were self-proclaimed foodies). The best part, FREE (no hidden costs) room service!!! I did tip well though. We had many meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) directly on our balcony while watching the beach festivities either starting up or watching the sunset directly in front of us. We stayed in a full suite, which costed about $5,000 (taxes in) for all flights, full AI, on our full week there. But they had the standard rooms (still directly ocean front) for $3,500 taxes in. Keep in mind, there were 3 flight tickets for us, so OP I'm sure you can easily get under your $1,500/person all in price. Now that I'm reminded of it, I think I might start looking into returning for another trip there! By the way, we met a few families there who were there on their 3rd, even up to 5th trip to the same place (and these are ones WITHOUT a timeshare)!

Here are a photos from the balcony:
    Attachment 81261
    Attachment 81262
    Attachment 81263
    awesome - thanks for this.

did some research on tripadvisor and almost all the recent reviews are 5/5... don't see that too often at all. It's around 1600pp for 7 days but i think we can stretch the budget considering how promising it looks. ocean view from every room is awesome.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

When our daughter was 11 months old we went with another couple to Mexico. It was an enjoyable trip. Keep it mind you will not be as flexible with a little one by your sides. If you like to suntan you might need to stay in the shades more than you liked. If you like to drink and play water volleyball having a baby with you will reduce the amount of time you can do that.
    Reality it's no different in general we need to put our LO's needs ahead of many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Leave your kids at home with grandparents and put the money you would've spent on them for a trip they won't remember or appreciate into a RESP.
    the vacation is for us, not for the kid....we don't care whether he remembers the trip or not. But being 5 months we can't leave him away from us for a week.

there aren't additional costs as far as i'm aware. Flight is free for him if he sits on our lap and i can't imagine the resort charges extra for < 1 yr olds

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    awesome - thanks for this.

did some research on tripadvisor and almost all the recent reviews are 5/5... don't see that too often at all. It's around 1600pp for 7 days but i think we can stretch the budget considering how promising it looks. ocean view from every room is awesome.
    We would have given them 6 stars if we could. Trust me, you will not be disappointed, even if you feel it stretches your budget a bit. The food is the same for whichever room package you get anyway, which again, was amazing! You will probably even be recommending the place to everyone you know afterwards (yes, even those food complaining Beyonders... )!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

[QUOTE=mo_money2supe;4714374]We went to PV last Aug when our little one was 7 months old. It was his first plane trip and he was actually quite the relaxed little bugger even in the summer heat. It was the 3.5 y/o daughter that whined every single day and refused to sleep on the plane even though she even said she was tired. She had flown a handful of times before too so it wasn't like it was her first time flying.

Anyway, we stayed at a 4.5 star AI with direct access to the beach. The place was called Sunset Plaza (https://www.hotelsunsetplaza.com/en) and was a newly renovated facility right in the heart of PV (not north into Nuevo Vallarta). Within walking distance to everything too! The building itself was only some 12 stories tall with some 8 units per floor (all with full kitchens but we opted for the AI package) so fairly small resort, and 100% of the rooms directly faced the ocean. Our 10th floor suite had better views than even our honeymoon suite some 8 yrs ago to St. Lucia and for less money! The food was absolutely amazing too (before kids, we were self-proclaimed foodies). The best part, FREE (no hidden costs) room service!!! I did tip well though. We had many meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) directly on our balcony while watching the beach festivities either starting up or watching the sunset directly in front of us. We stayed in a full suite, which costed about $5,000 (taxes in) for all flights, full AI, on our full week there. But they had the standard rooms (still directly ocean front) for $3,500 taxes in. Keep in mind, there were 3 flight tickets for us, so OP I'm sure you can easily get under your $1,500/person all in price. Now that I'm reminded of it, I think I might start looking into returning for another trip there! By the way, we met a few families there who were there on their 3rd, even up to 5th trip to the same place (and these are ones WITHOUT a timeshare)!

Do they have high chairs and cribs for your room?

the vacation is for us, not for the kid....we don't care whether he remembers the trip or not. But being 5 months we can't leave him away from us for a week.

there aren't additional costs as far as i'm aware. Flight is free for him if he sits on our lap and i can't imagine the resort charges extra for < 1 yr olds
    We had to take our 5 month old to Mexico for a wedding and since he was still on the boob at the time it was super easy and probably one of the most relaxing vacations we've been on since we had kids. They sleep a lot at that age and when he is awake they aren't really moving around much.

Unless you plan on leaving the resort to go sight seeing (so you don't need to travel as far each time), and to do stuff I don't think it really matters what resort you go to.
    ---

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by RawB8figure View Post
    We went to PV last Aug when our little one was 7 months old. It was his first plane trip and he was actually quite the relaxed little bugger even in the summer heat. It was the 3.5 y/o daughter that whined every single day and refused to sleep on the plane even though she even said she was tired. She had flown a handful of times before too so it wasn't like it was her first time flying.

Do they have high chairs and cribs for your room?
    Yup, both were available upon request (no additional charge). The crib was even a full wooden crib too, not your standard pack 'n plays other hotels use. They even changed the bedsheets in the crib daily too!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

We took our 5 and half month old daughter to Royalton Riviera Cancun back in December, this is our 2nd time at this resort and loved it each time. Newer resort (2 years old).

She slept most of the time and when she was awake all she wanted to do was be in the pool. Food is amazing (including the buffet), rooms are quite large (pay a little more for ocean view with terrace Jacuzzi) so you can relax in the evening with the little one. Cost was $1600/person with sunwing. If you decide to fly with sunwing, i would pay for the Elite for express check in. Each time we were leaving Cancun, the line was about an hour wait.

Quote Originally Posted by friedn00dles View Post
    We took our 5 and half month old daughter to Royalton Riviera Cancun back in December, this is our 2nd time at this resort and loved it each time. Newer resort (2 years old).

She slept most of the time and when she was awake all she wanted to do was be in the pool. Food is amazing (including the buffet), rooms are quite large (pay a little more for ocean view with terrace Jacuzzi) so you can relax in the evening with the little one. Cost was $1600/person with sunwing. If you decide to fly with sunwing, i would pay for the Elite for express check in. Each time we were leaving Cancun, the line was about an hour wait.
    Did you get the diamond club? was it worth it? We are probably going to book this resort any tips or recommendations?

My Ride
    Silverado

Easy to tell here who has no idea about kids but still feels the need to input hahah.

Did you get the diamond club? was it worth it? We are probably going to book this resort any tips or recommendations?
    you finding decent pricing for this one? when I looked into it, lowest I could find was 2100 pp for 7 days in March but maybe it's a high demand season with spring break.

we ended up booking sunset plaza for 6 days... came out to around 1550 pp for the regular room. will inquire when we check in to see how much more it will be for the 1 bedroom with Jacuzzi. 3 weeks away, can't wait!! thanks for the suggestions everyone

Yup, both were available upon request (no additional charge). The crib was even a full wooden crib too, not your standard pack 'n plays other hotels use. They even changed the bedsheets in the crib daily too!
    what did you do for baths? we're using a little infant tub thing but don't want to pack that. may just buy a cheap one there if we need to.

also did you find you needed a stroller / car seat for your baby? we are considering just not bringing them at all... it would just be the ride from airport to resort without a car seat and thinking to just carry him in the baby sling around the resort

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Awesome, glad you made the jump. You won't regret it!!

Right...forgot the standard rooms didn't have tubs. We had a suite that had the jacuzzi in it so we just had nightly bubble baths with the kids. They loved it! We have since learned to take showers with our little guy by holding him up in one arm while using the handheld sprayer on him; you could always try that method.

We took along out travel stroller, which is really just a fancy umbrella stroller. The wife picked it up used for like $40. We did also bring the front carrier along too but don't forget, we've got two kids, so the stroller was handy for the older one. Around the resort, you won't even need the carrier/stroller but if you venture out, the carrier will make you sweat like you've never sweat before. If you have a travel stroller, bring it. We didn't bring along any car seats for either. I just kept the little guy in the carrier on me while sitting in the back of the transport to/from the resort/airport. It's only a 5 min ride anyway. We also went offsite a few times to the Malecon and to swim with dolphins. Did the same thing each trip, just strapped the little guy into the carrier. Their driving style is more aggressive than here but it's what I called control chaos. Aggressive drivers but with control and skill. Way better than you'll ever find here.

By the way, the price difference between the standard room and the suite was ~$1,500 total for us, so that comes out to just over $200 CAD more per night. Bit of a premium but we loved having the kids in a separate room than us for some ba-chicca-wow-wow privacy...and the jacuzzi, yes, the jacuzzi....
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 02-25-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Never went Diamond Club, Didnt really see the need for it as the resort is very large and you wont have trouble finding pool side cabana's or beach chairs.

Avoid Building 9 (far walk)
    Building 7 & 8 facing the main pool is very loud at night due to the daily shows.
    i recommend building 7 or 8 facing their other pool/ocean.

what did you do for baths? we're using a little infant tub thing but don't want to pack that. may just buy a cheap one there if we need to.

also did you find you needed a stroller / car seat for your baby? we are considering just not bringing them at all... it would just be the ride from airport to resort without a car seat and thinking to just carry him in the baby sling around the resort
    i would recommend this travel stroller. https://www.amazon.ca/Summer-Infant-...ravel+stroller
    Last edited by friedn00dles; 02-26-2018 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I never thought about asking the hotel/ resort for a crib... I did this today for our trip to Mexico... life saver... thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2