Quantcast
Mexico - Cancun or Riviera Maya? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico - Cancun or Riviera Maya?

Default Mexico - Cancun or Riviera Maya?

I know there are a lot of threads on Mexico, but I am looking for some specific feedback.

I am looking at going for 1 week with my family (7 year old and 1 year old).

Looking for which place has the best beach (something similar to Negril in Jamaica) and a good hotel, preferably with a good pool/lazy river.

Anyone got any recommendations? Are the beaches in Cancun better than the Riviera Maya? I am open to all locations. This is our first time to Mexico.

Thanks.

Cancun and Riviera Maya are within one hour of each other. Some resorts that list to be in Riviera are actually only 20mins from the Cancun airport. Alot more options for family based resorts in the Mayan side though, check out Now Resorts. There is Now Jade and Now Sapphire which are really nice

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Cancun will get you smaller beach front space. I’d choose playa del Carmen as it’s not to far from Cancun, as the hotels will have a bigger property. To me Cancun is if your going to party, playa or the Mayan is more for relaxing.

My Ride
    This and that.

I am headed to Cancun on the weekend but have been to Playa Del Carmen and Riviera Maya before. If you’re going with young kids I am guessing you’re looking for a relaxing family holiday? If that is the case then pick the other two over Cancun. Better/bigger resorts, nicer/bigger beaches and lesser rowdiness.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am headed to Cancun on the weekend but have been to Playa Del Carmen and Riviera Maya before. If you’re going with young kids I am guessing you’re looking for a relaxing family holiday? If that is the case then pick the other two over Cancun. Better/bigger resorts, nicer/bigger beaches and lesser rowdiness.
    X2

Lived in Playa del carmen been to cancun a few times as well the beaches will be the same

Find a resort that will be children friendly and stick to it.

Find one closer to playa and you are closer to Tulum for a day trip.

There is tons of hotels, I had a friend work at Bahia Principle and always talked about how good the hotel is, also had a few friends stay at it and never heard anything bad about it. need akumal where you can also go snorkling with the turtles (https://www.traveladdicts.net/2016/0...a-turtles.html)

Where cancun is just a big strip and all the kids go to party (The city itself is nothing special)

They do have a super baller movie theater though called Cinépolis VIP cancun - Movies in English usually.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    G37X

Cancun!

If those are your 2 options then its the Mayan without question.

IF you left the kids at home you could consider Cancun. BUt the resorts in the Mayan will be better for you and your kids.

Those are not my only options, I just tried to narrow it down since there are so many choices. I am open to anything really.

My Ride
    Eclipse

The beaches on the East of mexico are WAY nicer than the West so stay on the East

With that Puerto Plata (dominican) beaches much nicer than Punta Cana (Not sure How they are after the hurricanes now) (Might of mixed this up I forget maybe google it)

I'd personally lean towards Mayan Riviera and try to stay around Akumal/Puerto Aventures (Maybe find a rental here not a hotel)

You have so many things to see with kids cenotes, tulum, Chickenitza can also head to Cozumel for snorkling even though I have never done it i heard it's pretty nice...

Just find a hotel around that location on sale which is kid friendly.

Been to Puerto Vallarta it was pretty nice as well, can look into Los Cabos

I was NOT a fan of Mazatlan, i'd stay away from there...

Pretty much best way to decide with kids is where the best deal is with good reviews on the hotel but if you have like Oasis Cancun vs Bahia Principle in Riviera Mayan at the same price go to Bahia..

All the 4.5star+ Hotels will be the same for the most part it will depend on if you want to go visit any attracti
    Last edited by Kobe; 02-20-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I’ve always thought punta Cana was nicer then puerto plata. I’ve stayed at punta Cana many times and the beaches are fantastic, I’ve never been to puerto plata

My Ride
    Eclipse

I think your right it was Puerto Plata that has shit beaches and Punta Cana that had nice ones... it was a long time ago though...

My Ride
    Horse

Grand Bahia Principe chain in Riviera Maya is great. I've gone there few times with my kids. Cancun is not as kid friendly.

If you want a good beach I'm not sure id suggest Cancun or Maya riviera. I just got back a few days ago. I flew into Cancun and stayed in the mayan riviera. We stopped at the beaches in Cancun as well. The entire area is affected by horrible sea weed right now.

Not the resorts fault but if you want a good beach this may ruin your trip. My resorts beach was amazing as well as the hotel itself but the sea weed made swimming in the ocean pointless. It made the beach stink.

The resort also had a big machine driving up and down the beach all day to address the sea weed issue.

The beaches are not always affected by this as I've been in the area before without the sea weed issue. Question to ask is when are you going? I don't know enough about the sea weed issue if it's only certain times of the year that will have this problem

My Ride
    This and that.

Damn I guess we are going to be dealing with lot of sea weed in Cancun next week.

Damn I guess we are going to be dealing with lot of sea weed in Cancun next week.
    I've been to 15+ resorts and never once had an issue with sea weed before so this was a new experience for us. We love to swim in the oceans but the ocean was ridiculous due to the sea weed. It was very windy the entire time we were there so it's probably bringing the sea weed in.

I kept thinking shit was attacking me as I tried to float around and swim.

We still had an amazing time.. it's almost better with a bit of a wind happening when its +30 out.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

definitely some sargassum, but that's pretty standard for the Gulf..

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-cancun-playa

it could be so much worse...
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I have been to both, and going back for new years so I have been doing a bit of research.
    Best hotel Ive stayed at is the Hyatt Ziva Cancun, Beach is great tons of pools and restaurant, Hotel is top notch but its also super pricey, and it includes a Dolphin area some people love it some people hate it.
    Since the prices for new years are INSANE, ive been looking for playa hotels, I think I want to book on the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Wave pool Lazy River and nice beach. The Iberostar quetzal/tucan also looks nice.
    Tripadvisor reviews and forum are awesome source of info

My Ride
    Eclipse

You will be fine at the resort they clean it up at like 6am every day, it comes in overnight when the tides are higher...

My Ride
    This and that.

Sitting at the airport. Will report back on our return.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I have been to both many times and I prefer the beaches in cancun, but we leave for the Mayan in less then two weeks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast