Quantcast
Another garage question - electrical capacity? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another garage question - electrical capacity?

Default Another garage question - electrical capacity?

So I’m an absolute moron when it comes to understanding electrical systems so looking for some advice/guidance on setting up my garage.

What I really want to figure out is if I can run higher wattage LED light bars (2) that put out about 11,000 lumens each, and draw 148watts each for a total of ~300watts draw.

I took a look and unfortunately my garage is on a single 15amp circuit. I am trying to figure out if I can run these light bars without pushing the circuit too far.

All the wiring - out to the current light sockets and I assume wall sockets in the garage is 14/2 wiring which seems from my research to be sized appropriate for a 15amp circuit.

My total max draw with these LED bars installed would be:

3 exterior bulbs, I think 100watts each = 2.5amps
    Wired impact gun = 8.5 amps
    Potential LED bars = 148w*2/120 = ~2.5 amps

For a total of 13.5 amps.

This seems a little on the high size but I should be OK right? Is there a rule for the max one should draw on a regular basis? When I use the impact gun its not like I’m sitting there for a half hour, maybe 10 minutes at a time kind of thing.

I am thinking I can gain some room by switching the 3 outdoor lights to 100w equivalent LEDs which should draw about 20w each and reduce the total max draw to 11.5 amps, that makes me a bit more comfortable.

Obviously I probably won’t be running the outdoor lights when I’m working inside but I’m trying to account for all possible scenarios.

Is there anything I’m overlooking here? Am I good to go with replacing my current light sockets with two 148w LED light bars?

Finally, I can’t find at all what the draw of the garage door opener is. Anyone know how to figure this out? It is a 1/2hp unit but the website gives nothing for current draw specs. I believe the 1/2hp rating would be the output power? I can convert that to watts and I get 373 watts which converts to a 3.1 amp draw. So I can say 3.1amps minimum draw but probably draws more than that due to losses?

Sorry for the poorly formed questions!

My Ride
    Trucks

My spice drawer has more power available to it than your garage. I would definitely work on fixing that before anything else. I’m guessing you don’t have a breaker panel in your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My spice drawer has more power available to it than your garage. I would definitely work on fixing that before anything else. I’m guessing you don’t have a breaker panel in your garage.
    Haha no doubt.

No unfortunately no sub panel.

Beautiful garage structurally but piss poor electrical wise.

Is the wiring sheathed/fishable on newer builds or will it need to be ripped up?

I can see a sheath on the wiring where it comes out of the garage but no idea if that is run the whole way
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-19-2018 at 05:54 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I'm not sure what breaker amperage my garage uses but I'll have 2 LED lights, 1 regular incandescent bulb, 1 fan and sometimes a grinder, bench grinder or a welder and never have an issue.

My other idea (as 22,000 lumens may be a lot of overkill), is to run 4 of these: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4...000823032.html

Would these (when linked) be in parallel or series? If parallel I add the power and divide by 120 to get the current draw right so 4x35/120 =1.2 amps?

Also I would prefer to replace my light sockets with 3 prong plugs than try to strip the light wires and wire them up, what exactly do I do for ground?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    My other idea (as 22,000 lumens may be a lot of overkill), is to run 4 of these: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4...000823032.html

Would these (when linked) be in parallel or series? If parallel I add the power and divide by 120 to get the current draw right so 4x35/120 =1.2 amps?

Also I would prefer to replace my light sockets with 3 prong plugs than try to strip the light wires and wire them up, what exactly do I do for ground?
    How large is your shop? I have 2 and will be putting in a 3rd 48" led light and my shop isn't very big and those 2 lights put out a ton of light. And its nice in the dead cold they will power on unlike your tube lights.

If you want to convert your single bulb socket to something you could use this https://www.amazon.com/KINGSO-Splitt.../dp/B01EFM8SIO and then use LED bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    How large is your shop? I have 2 and will be putting in a 3rd 48" led light and my shop isn't very big and those 2 lights put out a ton of light. And its nice in the dead cold they will power on unlike your tube lights.

If you want to convert your single bulb socket to something you could use this https://www.amazon.com/KINGSO-Splitt.../dp/B01EFM8SIO and then use LED bulbs.
    It’s small, just a 20x22 (I think) garage. What light bars are you running?

I currently have similar to what you’ve posted (but just a two bulb) but would like light bars/panel for a bit more spacially consistent lighting. It’s pretty good but where the light socket is when I have the hood up the engine is in shadow.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

It’s small, just a 20x22 (I think) garage. What light bars are you running?

I currently have similar to what you’ve posted (but just a two bulb) but would like light bars/panel for a bit more spacially consistent lighting. It’s pretty good but where the light socket is when I have the hood up the engine is in shadow.
    My shop is about the same size and I have 2 of the 48" lights from Costco and will be putting in a 3rd from Lowes and there is no lack of light. If I had 4 in there it would be almost blinding bright.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

This is a good guide for DIY electrical. http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...ring-guide.pdf
    I like neat cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This is a good guide for DIY electrical. http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documen...ring-guide.pdf
    Rats so it looks like if I wanted to run more power out there i’d Have to dig up the line. The protective pvc won’t be up to code.

I’ve thought about it a bit more and I’m going to do 4 of the 35 watt led light bars. Not clear from that DIY how I’m going change the light sockets into a 3 prong outlet but I’ll do a bit more reading!

Edit: actually @firebane how many prongs on the Costco light, 2 or 3?
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-19-2018 at 09:43 PM.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Your kind of all over the place but really you shouldn't have much problem with your original 2x148W fixtures. Just don't go adding much more stuff especially heat producing devices.

You were on the right track figuring out your loads but you have to consider that the ratings on the impact gun and garage door opener(pretty much anything with a motor) are the max current they can draw but they will actually draw a less(what they draw depends on the mechanical load upon the motor) and they are not continuous loads and are pretty unlikely that they will ALL be ran at the exact same time. This is what is refereed to as demand factor.

The breakers (and fuses) used in residential are thermal based and as such don't just majically trip the second they see 15A. They work by building up heat and can take short overload situations.

As for converting the light sockets into receptacles its fairly easy. It will more than likely be a octagon junction box that the exisitng fixture is wired into. Once the fixtures removed you can go with 2 different options.

Plug box cover if you just want a standard receptacle. (which I personally dont recommend. as its been my experience that with a downward facing straight blade the plug will tend to keep coming loose from the vibrations from the garage door opener) So i would look at a locking receptacle

Or you can cut the plug end off the fixture and hardwire them in like the existing fixtures.

My Ride
    1928 Ford Roadster, 1930 Ford Roadster

You still haven't mentioned what type of work you're going to try to do.
    That 15 amp service is going to be pretty disappointing if you fire up a saw, an air compressor, a welder.

Part of your consideration as to whether to run a bigger service out there is how long (years) you plan to work in that shop, and put up with blowing breakers. As well as what types of work you see yourself getting involved in in the future.

I'd be seriously pissed if my compressor fired up while I was welding and the garage went dark.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Rats so it looks like if I wanted to run more power out there i’d Have to dig up the line. The protective pvc won’t be up to code.
    What's wrong with your PVC? Too small?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Cword View Post
    That 15 amp service is going to be pretty disappointing if you fire up a saw, an air compressor, a welder.

Part of your consideration as to whether to run a bigger service out there is how long (years) you plan to work in that shop, and put up with blowing breakers. As well as what types of work you see yourself getting involved in in the future.

I'd be seriously pissed if my compressor fired up while I was welding and the garage went dark.
    When you are limited you realize that unfortunately you need to take turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    Your kind of all over the place but really you shouldn't have much problem with your original 2x148W fixtures. Just don't go adding much more stuff especially heat producing devices.

You were on the right track figuring out your loads but you have to consider that the ratings on the impact gun and garage door opener(pretty much anything with a motor) are the max current they can draw but they will actually draw a less(what they draw depends on the mechanical load upon the motor) and they are not continuous loads and are pretty unlikely that they will ALL be ran at the exact same time. This is what is refereed to as demand factor.

The breakers (and fuses) used in residential are thermal based and as such don't just majically trip the second they see 15A. They work by building up heat and can take short overload situations.

As for converting the light sockets into receptacles its fairly easy. It will more than likely be a octagon junction box that the exisitng fixture is wired into. Once the fixtures removed you can go with 2 different options.

Plug box cover if you just want a standard receptacle. (which I personally dont recommend. as its been my experience that with a downward facing straight blade the plug will tend to keep coming loose from the vibrations from the garage door opener) So i would look at a locking receptacle

Or you can cut the plug end off the fixture and hardwire them in like the existing fixtures.

Thanks for the great summary, yea I did more reading and it seems pretty straight forward. To do the plugs. My concern was the ground, but everyone I saw the receptacle had a third wire, so I’m guessing mine will too.

The reason I don’t want to hardwire the fixture is if I don’t like it or want to change it down the road I can easily return or sell the fixtures.

You’re right about the load ratings being max and not everything at once. Most likely the only things that will be run at once are indoor lighting, outdoor lighting and an impact gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    What's wrong with your PVC? Too small?
    15amp is to be run with 3/4 pvc pipe according to the CoC electrical guide. I’m guessing they wouldn’t have gone above and beyond the code. If I were to re-wire it I’d want at least 30 amps out there, you need a 1” pvc pipe to meet code apparently.

I’m just incredibly ignorant and in general pretty dumb so I want to be sure I don’t go into anything electrical blind
    Last edited by J-hop; 02-20-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cword View Post

Just really basic automotive work: oil changes, general repair, suspension work, have a project car I have to swap an engine and turbo kit into. Nothing serious, I don’t do fabrication and have a friend that does any welding for me as I have very poor welding skills. With 120 and 15 amps to work with you’re right I can’t do anything serious.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Are your garage walls finished already? If not, it might just be worth it wait until summer and rip everything out and re-wire it with a bigger service
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Are your garage walls finished already? If not, it might just be worth it wait until summer and rip everything out and re-wire it with a bigger service
    Yea they are essentially finished. Entire garage is insulated with pressboard over it. I probably won’t drywall it. Dad’s is dry walled and it’s just annoying, constantly taking chunks out everytime something falls over and annoying when mounting stuff. Neighbor painted the pressboard and it looks pretty good.

Not super concerned with the service out there right now. So I’ll leave it be for the time being. It’s too small a garage to have a compressor and I don’t weld so I don’t really have any high demand items right now

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

15amp is to be run with 3/4 pvc pipe according to the CoC electrical guide. I’m guessing they wouldn’t have gone above and beyond the code. If I were to re-wire it I’d want at least 30 amps out there, you need a 1” pvc pipe to meet code apparently.

I’m just incredibly ignorant and in general pretty dumb so I want to be sure I don’t go into anything electrical blind

Well, the CoC guideline is basically a check table that assumes you're running NMWU and gives conduit size based on fill volume % as per CEC. You can run way higher amperage in smaller conduit by using wet-rated stranded conductors like THWN/TWN or RW90 instead of the bulky (and expensive) NMWU. I upgraded to 60A/240V service to my detached garage using the existing 3/4" PVC conduit and 3x TWN75 6GA conductors with a 8GA TWN75 ground. I verified with CoC and my inspector in advance that it met code and would be approved as it met conductor/amperage requirements and conduit fill volume percentages. I would have needed 1 1/2" conduit for NMWU and it would have sucked to pull through. Plus, the TWN75 was like a third the price of NMWU to buy locally. RW90 was even cheaper, but I needed the thinner TWN insulation to hit the conduit fill%.

The only complication with stranded runs is that they have to be run entirely in conduit. No big deal for underground as you're already in conduit, but indoors can be a pain. I ran it in conduit all the way to my panel entrances (it was a bit cheaper that way), but I could have transitioned to NMD90 via junction box where it entered the house and garage.

Long story short, if you do find yourself wanting to upgrade service, all hope is not yet lost - you have options for your existing conduit but you might need to get creative.

^ thanks, that is really helpful if I decide to upgrade.

Going tonight to buy the light panels and sockets/plates. Probably won’t get around to installing until later this week but we’ll see.

Also thinking about putting the lighting on a motion sensor switch. The garage inside is so dark with just the door opener light which is pretty annoying when you’re trying to get groceries and/or the dog out of the car at night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast