Quantcast
Post Your Thailand Itinerary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Post Your Thailand Itinerary

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Default Post Your Thailand Itinerary

Everyone and their dog seems to have been to Thailand so I'm wondering what was your itinerary?

The GF and myself are debating between Thailand and Australia for 2 weeks over Christmas (posted about Aus already) so I'd love to hear what you guys did and what was your favorite part.

My Ride
    LNF

My wife and I went for 3 weeks.

Land in Bangkok, Overnight trip by train to Chiang Mai. Stayed here for 4-5 days and did cooking classes, kayak tours and elephant sanc. Also checked out some cool jazz bars in the area. This was really interesting to see the traditional Thailand.

Flew from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani, took bus and ferry from airport to Koh Pha-Ngan. Hung out at Thong Nai Pan Yai Beach for 4 days and relaxed and did some snorkeling tours. Beautiful beaches and was very relaxing here.

Took ferry to Koh Tao. Rented a scooter and hung out on the beaches and did some snorkeling for 4 days. This was a lot of fun because the island is small and easily accessible by scooter.

Took ferry and bus to bangkok. Hung out here and took public transit around to markets, malls and Chinatown for late night food. Also did some tours of temples and such.

I really enjoyed our trip, we missed out on some areas in the west but we got to see lots and also did lots of relaxing. I would love to spend more time in Chiang Mai, it has the traditional Thai lifestyle and traditional food. Bangkok is a shit show and was quite the culture shock when we arrived but in the end I really enjoyed that city and I would highly recommend going to China town for the evening markets and food.

2 weeks is pretty short but there are lots of cheap flight options with air asia to get around as well.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I did it back in 2001, two and a half weeks. But it was a crazy one way trip to Bangkok. Then headed south to the Islands. Koh Samui, Koh Pan Yang, hopped over Malasia, Kula Lumpar, some island in the east and then onto Singapore.

Im actually heading to Cambodia in two weeks. Angor Wat being the main focus. Then onto Thailand. Chang Mai, cooking classes, elephants, markets, eating food and getting fat.

Then heading South to the Islands. Koh Lanta, James Bond Island, National parks. Mong out for a bit and Then head east to the Islands of Koh Pan Yang and a few others. Then crawl back to Bangkok for a last hurrah in town.

Check out a few video blogs on Thailand. These are some of my favourite, they are short and give some good insights.

My Ride
    rally pig

We did Bangkok > Koh Phi Phi > Railay Beach

Bangkok
    We enjoyed Elephants World in Kanchanaburi while in Bangkok (hired a driver for a day to drive us there)
    We also did Damnoen Saduak Floating Market and like the other floating markets, IMO are just tourist traps.
    We stayed by Khao San Market so it was very convenient for us for food.
    MBK was worth it too if you want to go to a nice mall.
    Heard Bangkok's Chinatown has really good street food too, unfortunately we didn't have time to check it out.

Koh Phi Phi
    Stayed in Phi Phi The Beach Resort and really nice resort, awesome breakfast buffet and nice view of Ko Phi Phi Lee.
    Also as it's away from the main town, very quiet and secluded but it also means you have to take a boat to go to town.
    Maya Bay is nice too and if you can, stay there over night.

Railay Bay/Ao Nang
    Railay Bay IMO is more picturesque than Koh Phi Phi, unfortunately didn't get to see it as much.
    In Ao Nang, we took a cooking lesson from this lady that also thought Gordon Ramsay. Great experience, good food and you meet other people too.
    We also went to the Night Market in Krabi, really good food but I think I got food poisoned here or in Singapore.

I was in Thailand recently and I can say that this was the best journey of my life. We stopped in the south of Phuket Island. Of course, the weather was excellent. We traveled a lot around the island, studied cultural features and just watched the rhythm of life here. I wrote about this travel essay at https://answershark.com/writing/essa...f-my-life.html, where I was able to describe this journey in details. From mid-October to mid-April, it's better to visit the mountainous areas of the mainland of Thailand, the southeast of the country and the adjacent islands - Pattaya, Chan (Chang), as well as the west coast of the Malacca Peninsula - Phuket, Lantu. At this time the sea is calm, the air temperature is relatively low and rains are rare.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

I feel like this day and age , in places like thailand with all the digi nomads and wannabe-instagram models, you probably can't walk 10 feet without being included in the background of someone's selfie or vlog lol.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

As mentioned in another post my daughter is teaching in Thailand and has been there for 6 years so we have done 4 trips to Thailand. Every time we go we always make another trip to another country. We will being going mid December til mid Jan. and travelling to Vietnam this time. We have done Bali, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong, Kong, Tokyo and Cambodia. Since my wife and I are probably double most of your ages our itineraries are most likely different than yours, but we always travel with my daughter and since she knows most of SE Asia, and as a teacher, has a lot of respect in that part of the world, we get treated quite nicely.

Angkor Wat is a must.
    Bangkok was a shit show and probably wouldn't do again.
    Chiang Mai is a must.
    Rent a scooter and go exploring the non tourist beaches.
    South Phuket and all the islands are worth exploring.
    Haven't done the full moon parties but my daughter and friends have and they loved it for one experience.
    Koh Samui is good for a day or two.