Quantcast
Cherokee Trackhawk - seriously? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherokee Trackhawk - seriously?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Cherokee Trackhawk - seriously?

Two years ago I put myself on the South Trail Jeep dealer list for one.

To my surprise they called me a couple days ago. They actually kept my info on this mystery list lol.

I followed up again and they’re asking an ASTRONOMICAL $150,000!

I told them straight up I’m cross shopping a Porsche at that price. I’m out haha.

Are the other dealers in Calgary this insane? This isn’t a super limited vehicle, however the base MSRP is quite high too. $110,000.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

I think this is the worst aspect of any Dealership. Back when the Challenger SRT8 came out I had my name on the list. One by one all the dealers called asking 30+k over MSRP. Told them to leave me alone till they would honor MSRP. Have not considered Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep since.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is the worst aspect of any Dealership. Back when the Challenger SRT8 came out I had my name on the list. One by one all the dealers called asking 30+k over MSRP. Told them to leave me alone till they would honor MSRP. Have not considered Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep since.
    Same deal with the GT350R which IS a super limited car. All dealers do it, but some want to play ball at least.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    G37X

For a Chryco product? Are they nuts?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't feel as bad anymore with MB making me pay MSRP and not allowing discounts on my 1 of 10 C63 Black Series in Canada haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

why do people get upset at someone trying to discover the price at which they can maximize the sale of an asset.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I saw a new Trackhawk on kijiji at a Chrysler dealer for $130k not long ago I think.

My Ride
    VAG products

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I was just at Ford yesterday and apparently Raptors are now finally selling for MSRP.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    why do people get upset at someone trying to discover the price at which they can maximize the sale of an asset.
    Because you are acting like the market of "new car sales" is a completely free, rational market. Which it isn't.

As an example, look at Mistu Evo 10's. They manufactured a ton, but MSRP was $45K+ for what is a shitacular car overall. Most were advertised at $50k+ at dealers, zero room to budge. I've seen evo's sit on lots for YEARS. So, this isn't really a case of price discovery. Its a case of a monopoly (the dealership) artificially limiting the supply of a product.

And then what happens is the manufacturer goes "huh, we aren't selling any of this performance car, the market doesn't want it" while the real issue is the ridiculous gouging.

End of the day, just because someone manages a multi-million dollar car dealership does not mean they actually have a clue, or are operating in the most rational method for making said dealership profitable. Hence the outrage.

Another example, 3 or so years ago I was SERIOUSLY considering buying a Sonic RS as a daily driver. One dealer in Edmonton had a two year old model that hadn't sold, exactly everything I wanted. Pricing was very good, but they wouldn't finance at a good rate (5.49% LAWL). I tried to explain to them that if I bought the car at that rate, I might as well get a brand new model that would be inherently worth more with 0% financing, as the paid price would be the same, and the car would have more value over its lifespan and even just as it leaves the lot. I was seriously ready to buy. Nope, no interest. Nobody wanted this f*&king things, they had a way to get rid of it, and they didn't take it.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Because you are acting like the market of "new car sales" is a completely free, rational market. Which it isn't.

As an example, look at Mistu Evo 10's. They manufactured a ton, but MSRP was $45K+ for what is a shitacular car overall. Most were advertised at $50k+ at dealers, zero room to budge. I've seen evo's sit on lots for YEARS. So, this isn't really a case of price discovery. Its a case of a monopoly (the dealership) artificially limiting the supply of a product.

And then what happens is the manufacturer goes "huh, we aren't selling any of this performance car, the market doesn't want it" while the real issue is the ridiculous gouging.

End of the day, just because someone manages a multi-million dollar car dealership does not mean they actually have a clue, or are operating in the most rational method for making said dealership profitable. Hence the outrage.

Another example, 3 or so years ago I was SERIOUSLY considering buying a Sonic RS as a daily driver. One dealer in Edmonton had a two year old model that hadn't sold, exactly everything I wanted. Pricing was very good, but they wouldn't finance at a good rate (5.49% LAWL). I tried to explain to them that if I bought the car at that rate, I might as well get a brand new model that would be inherently worth more with 0% financing, as the paid price would be the same, and the car would have more value over its lifespan and even just as it leaves the lot. I was seriously ready to buy. Nope, no interest. Nobody wanted this f*&king things, they had a way to get rid of it, and they didn't take it.
    That was another one that I just shook my head at. 45 K for an AWD lancer with suspension upgrades and a body kit.

My Ride
    ute

I didn't say the dealership was behaving in a way that makes sense. I said I don't understand why people get upset. The dealership doesn't (or shouldn't) get upset at you for not wanting to pay a certain price - and you would find it odd if they did. But people think it's reasonable to get upset when someone asks a certain price.

My Ride
    XT6

This SUV has me thinking, personally I think the $110k is reasonable given what you get but my money is betting there will be 20k of incentive on these units.

Off memory they have about $10k of margin so tons of wiggle room.

Sorry but how is restricting the supply of a brand of product a monopoly? As a consumer you have an option to buy a different brand car/suv/truck. Other brand dealerships can capitalize on that buy offering reasonable prices and supply. If this means Chrysler dealerships lose profit they will adjust to find that maximum profit point. This is literally the epitome of a free market. A Cherokee trail hawk is a unique product within a large market, it isn’t the market and it certainly doesn’t have the monopoly on the market.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    I followed up again and they’re asking an ASTRONOMICAL $150,000!
    That's a bargain compared to what you'll be paying in BC after April 1st haha

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I didn't say the dealership was behaving in a way that makes sense. I said I don't understand why people get upset. The dealership doesn't (or shouldn't) get upset at you for not wanting to pay a certain price - and you would find it odd if they did. But people think it's reasonable to get upset when someone asks a certain price.
    The issue is that in North America MSRP is the maximum going rate for manufactured goods. You may get items cheaper when they are on sale or from a volume dealer that can sell for less but you never pay more. When there is a shortage on say Nintendo consoles you don't see Best Buy or EBgames upcharge. When a new apple phone comes out in limited supplies you don't see retailers mark them up. It's typical sleazy dealership practice and it's a reason that automotive dealers can never shake the reputation of shadiness. Dealers in the US ruined the Focus RS by marking them up and having them rot on lots and they do the same with cars like the Golf R which sells much better in Canada per capita only because you get them for MSRP or less up here while in the US they mark them up and end up selling less in the process.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-22-2018 at 01:13 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

This isn't a surprise at all. When the Hellcats first came out in the Chargers & Challengers in 2015 they were routinely selling for $15,000 - $20,000 over sticker. Demand exceeded supply and that's what happens in a free market. It's just now (three years later) that they are selling for right around MSRP. This makes complete sense and there are people who will pay well over sticker for the worlds fastest SUV. It won't be me...but there will be someone.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    That was another one that I just shook my head at. 45 K for an AWD lancer with suspension upgrades and a body kit.
    This has got to be the funniest thing I have read all day..

Isn't this the basis of any performance car.. Take X model.. Improve it with Y modifications and sell it for more money...

And just to start another argument.. I think most can agree that even to this day.. The AWD Lancer (AKA Evo X) is still the benchmark for budget performance awd cars.
    Last edited by mzdspd; 02-22-2018 at 04:07 PM.

$150K for a Chrysler SUV with 700HP You can buy a GLE 63 S AMG, X5M, or Cayenne for that kind of money, if not less. Even $110K seems ridiculous for a low-rent SUV and a huge motor along with the worst imaginable dealership service. If they can convince people to pay that though, good for them.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post

And just to start another argument.. I think most can agree that even to this day.. The AWD Lancer (AKA Evo X) is still the benchmark for budget performance awd cars.
    Benchman maybe but not a budget car. STI's were always less expensive then the EVO's

But now the "Rally Inspired" cars are all but dead now, RS included.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast