Quantcast
24-70 for an F-Mount - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 24-70 for an F-Mount

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default 24-70 for an F-Mount

I've been out of the game for awhile but have a bit more time to shoot and finding that, while I really like my Sigma 50 1.4 ART, a 24-70 zoom would be more versatile for what people shooting I do (which isn't really that often).

The new Nikon VR is out of the question for me as it's way beyond what I want to spend on a lens like this. I know there's the older Nikon 24-70 that is a workhorse and also the 3rd party companies have versions.

Been out of the photog forums for such a long time I don't know what's-what anymore.

Suggestions?!
    Ultracrepidarian

If you can't afford the new VR version (which is phenomenal, if you can stretch the budget), then your best bet is the previous version if you don't need stabilization.

If you do want stabilization, the Tamron 24-70 VC G2 is a decent lens. The Tokina 24-70 is very similar but lacks stabilization and some of the better coatings. You can also get the older Tamron 24-70 VC for $1000 CAD at B&H right now.

The Sigma 24-70 OS Art was never very well received, it's not the greatest lens.

The third party lenses are all outclassed in build quality and AF speed by the OEM Nikon.

All the third party lenses extend significantly when zoomed, the Nikon versions are larger to begin with but use a combination of retrofocus and telephoto lens designs, which is why the barrel goes both in and out as you zoom, sometimes in the opposite direction. If they made it all internal, the lens would be larger at all focal lengths, even when it did not need to be. One advantage of the existing design is if the lens actually increases in size as you zoom out (to wide angle) you can attach the lens hood right to the barrel rather than any of the moving lens groups, and still avoid vignetting. On the telephoto side, the lens hood is able to provide more optimal shading. They can weather seal them better too.

If the new 24-70VR is completely out of the question, if I were you I would get the original Nikon 24-70 (used maybe?), then a Tamron 24-70 G2, and if you go that route, buy from a place where you can return it in case it isn't perfect at all combinations of subject distance and focal length, or has any other QC issues. You can use the TAP module to calibrate the Tamron, but that is time, effort, and money that can be saved by just exchanging it for a perfect one. 24-70's from all brands are notorious for having larger than average sample variation as well - it seems to be a difficult range to master.

If you don't really care and just want a usable 24-70, grab a (rough) used Nikon 24-70, older Tamron 24-70 VC (non-G2), or the Tokina 24-70.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks Mark. Yeah I'm basically looking at used only just to stretch my dollars more. After such a shit experience with Nikon Canada and legit warranty, having one isn't really a concern for me.

OS would be really nice but I feel like for most portrait type stuff, I'm at 1/160 as a target just to maintain sharpness...Perhaps I should rent some lenses and compare one weekend!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Or just add a 28/1.8 prime to go along with your 50

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Mark. Yeah I'm basically looking at used only just to stretch my dollars more. After such a shit experience with Nikon Canada and legit warranty, having one isn't really a concern for me.

OS would be really nice but I feel like for most portrait type stuff, I'm at 1/160 as a target just to maintain sharpness...Perhaps I should rent some lenses and compare one weekend!
    Well B&H has the Tokina on sale right now, you can get it for $1130 CAD all-in delivered. It's $1399 + GST at The Camera Store ($1468).

Camera Canada has the previous Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC on for $929 ($570 off full MSRP) because the new G2 version is out ($1599).

You can get "9" condition used Nikon 24-70/2.8G's for around $850 USD / $1075 CAD before negotiations on Fred Miranda. There's a Nikon on Kijiji for $1250 CAD and a Tamron for $775 CAD.

Obviously if you can try them all out yourself that is the best if you're willing to rent first, and hopefully you get decent samples of everything.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or just add a 28/1.8 prime to go along with your 50
    This is what I would do. Go find a 24 or 28 and add an 85.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Another option to consider is the older 28-70mm lenses as long as your body has the built in focus motor. EXCELLENT optics. Maybe not quite as ridiculous as the 24-70mm lenses, but still amazing and for a few hundred dollars less than the first G model 24-70's.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.