Quantcast
Giving land back to natives. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Giving land back to natives.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    +1 on whatever decision gets made the current system needs to end.

I’m just not convinced that an agreement could ever actually be made.
    They don't want to integrate because gravy chain stops.

First Nations are just tiny Quebecs.

Force the chiefs to divide the land among their people. Let them participate in the market. Stop the handouts.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea but do that and we are tied up in the courts for the next 150 years. If we are lucky.

The only way this ends is with a big enough payout, I just don’t think we as a country can literally give them enough money for them to agree.

Think tsu Tina ring road money, but on a national scale.

It would be cheaper to build a new country in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Maybe Canada should declare bankruptcy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

ZenOps thought it was going to be a slow day on Beyond. Throws a grenade then ninja-smokes.

You clever bastard.

Name:  GRINCHSMILE.gif
Views: 281
Size:  1.23 MB
    Last edited by msommers; 02-27-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

First Nations are just tiny Quebecers.
    Thats racist!! lol

A guy wants to give back and do a good deed and the responses end up on first nations stereotypes?

Don't forget the natives dont pay taxes, they get hundreds of thousands in $$ when they turn 18 and their schooling is always paid for.

Why end this gravy train?? /s

Yeah it’s kind of fucked up that someone actually put their money where their mouth was and isn’t even being a preachy asshole about it, and people are still shitting all over him

My Ride
    G6

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Then, after this is in place for 10 years, they know in advance that the government will cut off all funding and let them find their way. They can choose to live in either an undeveloped OR a developed manner, but they will no longer have the ability to rely on another entity for everything.
    My understanding is that lenders do not lend to businesses on a reserve because the ability to collect (should those businesses fail) doesn't exist. Our modern society is built on a lending system. Until lenders have some sort of guarantee, the reserves will remain slums.

Heck - I'd even be willing to give them double or triple the current land owned by the bands to make it worth their while. We have lots, so there is no reason to share. (After all, we DID take it away from them back in the day.)
    Your whole argument is about not giving handouts, and then you propose such a huge handout? I bet you and I have contributed more to Canada than the average Native. Why should they get free land? Really awful idea. Also, just to be clear, WE didn't take away anything. A small fraction of our ancestors conquered land from a bunch of savage roaming tribes, not a country.

Then we need to make sure that those natives who wish to live like their forefathers did can do so as closely as possible, given the developed nature of Canada. They can hunt, fish, etc. I believe all of this is already in place, but in case it isn't, it needs to be because that's what they could do before their country was invaded.
    Two problems:
    1) If you've ever been to a reserve, you'll see quickly that none of them live like their forefathers. They've embraced modern society (houses, cars, etc).
    2) Why exactly should they be able to live like their forefathers? Can you give me another modern day analog?

It isn't even about the money we pay for it... it's about helping make them a proud and productive people again, and getting them OUT of this cycle.
    That implies they view their situations similar to how we perceive them. While your statement makes complete logical sense, I suspect it would just be (wrongly) viewed as us trying to impose our will on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Yeah it’s kind of fucked up that someone actually put their money where their mouth was and isn’t even being a preachy asshole about it, and people are still shitting all over him
    People are shitting all over him because of the complete lack of common sense he's displaying. If I decided to donate all my worldly possessions to say a cult, I'd hope people would shit all over me too.

So first nations are like a cult and the average native contributes less to Canada then the average person off the reserve? About sums up your stereo types feruk?

My Ride
    Silverado

5 acres is pretty small to try to live off of.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    So first nations are like a cult and the average native contributes less to Canada
    Yea, that's basically fact. First Nations is a cult of dependency. The average native certainly contributes less to Canada, not much debate on that No taxes and we give them fucktons of money every year.

My Ride
    G6

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    So first nations are like a cult and the average native contributes less to Canada then the average person off the reserve? About sums up your stereo types feruk?
    Well any religion is IMO a mass cult, but your interpretation of my post is way too literal. I was merely implying that he had a truly horrible idea. The equivalent for someone like me would be to give money/land/possessions to a stupid cause. Cult is just what came to my mind. I don't mean to imply first nations are cults.

hitemp- first nations pay taxes just like anyone else. The exemptions to this are jobs on a reserve for those with treaty status.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feruk View Post
    Well any religion is IMO a mass cult, but your interpretation of my post is way too literal. I was merely implying that he had a truly horrible idea. The equivalent for someone like me would be to give money/land/possessions to a stupid cause. Cult is just what came to my mind. I don't mean to imply first nations are cults.
    I don't see why people are upset at a guy who is opening up his house and home to a specific cause that's important to him.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Feruk View Post
    My understanding is that lenders do not lend to businesses on a reserve because the ability to collect (should those businesses fail) doesn't exist. Our modern society is built on a lending system. Until lenders have some sort of guarantee, the reserves will remain slums.
    then why is this "slum" phenomena way more prevalent in only the prairie provinces? the funding to reserves from government should be great enough that reserves should be able to prosper... and many in BC, Ontario, and Quebec do indeed prosper... too bad it seems impossible to put in a federal governing body that regulates how these reserves are managed. Cause from my experience on native land in other provinces is night and day compared to what we see out here. combined I'd say that the native population has access to enough capital to create their very own financial institutions.

not to mention the NHA and CMHC fund housing on reserves. leaving the only need for lending to be business related... which there are also grants for.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I read the article and a bit of background on the guy... I don't think he intends to "live off the land" aside from growing a novelty garden. It kind of sounds like he is lonely and looking to join up with a family for comfort.

Given that most old outcasts are old outcasts for a reason, I kind of get a bad feeling this is going to end in horrific sexual exploitation of whomever takes him up on his offer. I'd like to believe in the good of humanity, but I am wise enough to know that when people seek out relationships like this, they usually have a sinister ulterior motive.

Something about the language he is using about how his is going to teach them about their own culture, and how he will know which family he wants when he arbitrarily decides... it is overly authoritative and indicates his offer is conditional. In one quote he says he will interview anyone, in another he states if you "have kids" .

There are a ton of weirdos in Vancouver that offer a free place to live on craigslist too... but even though it isn't stated, the expectation is sex in return.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 157
Size:  1.47 MB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2