Quantcast
Anyone have or used an Instant Pot? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have or used an Instant Pot?

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like the recipe for this if you have it?
    This is the "Ultimate Hummus" recipe from CI:

½ cup dried chickpeas
    2 quarts water
    ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
    3 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
    6 tablespoons tahini, stirred well (see note)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
    ½ teaspoon table salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
    pinch Cayenne
    1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves

We recommend Joyva or Krinos tahini and Pastene chickpeas (see related tastings). The hummus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. If you do not plan on serving it immediately, refrigerate the hummus and garnishes separately. When ready to serve, stir in approximately 1 tablespoon of warm water if the texture is too thick.

1. Pick through and rinse chickpeas. Place beans in large bowl, cover with 1 quart water, and soak overnight. Drain. Bring beans, baking soda, and 1 quart water to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup bean cooking water, and cool.

2. Combine lemon juice and bean cooking water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.

3. Process chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

4. Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
    To adapt to IP, cook the beans from dried for 30-35 minutes on HP (30 min = done, 35 = mushy, which some people like for hummus). Then follow the rest of the recipe.

I've had one for well over a year now, I make yogurt, cheesecake, creme brulee, quickly proof bread dough in it, make various meat dishes (mushroom pork chops are AMAZING in the instant pot). We tend to buy a lot of braising cuts of meat, so it's been a timesaver on those for sure and I don't notice a lack of flavour but you do have to season more than regular cooking methods from my experience. Today I made pho http://iamafoodblog.com/authentic-in...ot-pho-recipe/ it turned out really well and didn't take all damn day, so that's a win. There's a ton of online groups and great recipes out there. Thought I was buying a kitchen appliance, turns out I joined a cult. The Facebook group has over a million people in it.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

I would use beef bones over any cut of meat to create the broth. Oxtail bones are cheap as are rib bones.

True. I guess I did change the recipe in that I added homemade broth to the cooking liquid versus just using the meat. For that same reason.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Well, I'm off to buy one today but my last question is this: Is it worth it to get the 8 qt over the 6qt if there are only 3 of us in the family? We often cook for people on Sundays so I know the larger one would come in handy on those days but from the sounds of it, we'll be using this thing almost daily and I'm wondering if the big one will be too much of a hassle for cooking smaller meals. Can you still make small portions in the 8 qt pot? Is there any real need for concern here or should I just go with the mentality, the bigger the better? Canadian Tire has them for 20% off and it's selling for 160 dollars so I'm thinking of getting that. I know that they go on sale for Black Friday but I need this for Mother's Day.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

They work the same regardless of size. If your concern is being able to prepare enough food, consider getting a second insert so you can make 2 batches back to back. $30 for a 6qt insert off amazon.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    They work the same regardless of size. If your concern is being able to prepare enough food, consider getting a second insert so you can make 2 batches back to back. $30 for a 6qt insert off amazon.

Oh, I didn't even think about doing this! This would be much handier! In the 6 qt, how much can you actually fit in there? I need a comparison because I have no idea what 6 qts of food looks like!

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Not waiting for a sale? We have both and sometimes they run simultaneously.

My Ride
    R50

Just having stew made from an Instantpot right now.... LOL

With a 5lb roast, we filled a 6 qt pot half way. Enough for a dinner and lunch leftovers for a family of 3.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    Not waiting for a sale? We have both and sometimes they run simultaneously.
    I would love to wait until Black Friday but like I said, I want this for Mother's Day and Canadian Tire has the 8 qt on sale for 159.99 so I might grab that as well as an extra insert like jwslam was talking about.

And what do you mean you have both? You have both a 6 an 8 qt instant pot?

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    I would love to wait until Black Friday but like I said, I want this for Mother's Day and Canadian Tire has the 8 qt on sale for 159.99 so I might grab that as well as an extra insert like jwslam was talking about.

6QT was $109 at Walmart this weekend. Not sure if this is a deal or what. I've considered getting also.

I imagine they'll go on sale closer to Mother's Day too

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Oh, I didn't even think about doing this! This would be much handier! In the 6 qt, how much can you actually fit in there? I need a comparison because I have no idea what 6 qts of food looks like!
    6qt makes a lot of food (it's about 6 liters), easily enough for 4 people or more depending on the dish. 8qt is only needed if you regularly cook for 5-6+ people from what I have seen, or if you want to do bigger roasts and things like that. The 8qt unit itself is also quite large if storage is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    6QT was $109 at Walmart this weekend. Not sure if this is a deal or what. I've considered getting also.

That's the "Lux" model which is the bottom-end one. It's mostly fine though - the difference is the Lux has no yogurt setting, it has no "low" pressure setting, just "high" and no lid holder. The IP60 DUO pots and above have the yogurt function, better display, and high/low modes. Most recipes call for "High" pressure anyway though. It's $109 all the time on Amazon too, not sure about elsewhere locally. The IP60 duo 6qt was $89 on black Friday and around $160 normally.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

From Amazon we bought one and my wife liked it some much the next time it was on sale we got another.

Yeah and my wife make our own yogurt now too.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post

Hmmm...maybe I'll just wait then. It's only 20% off at Canadian Tire this week but I'd much rather pay that than 200 for their original price! Yeah, I guess I'll hold off and I reckon you're right and there will be some deals on things like this closer to Mother's Day!

Cheers man.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    6qt makes a lot of food (it's about 6 liters), easily enough for 4 people or more depending on the dish. 8qt is only needed if you regularly cook for 5-6+ people from what I have seen, or if you want to do bigger roasts and things like that. The 8qt unit itself is also quite large if storage is a concern.

And you have the Filipino cooking factor in your house hold so you know what you're talking about!!

Looks like I'll be waiting until closer to Mother's Day to buy a 6 qt duo! Some awesome info and cheers for that. Now I feel pretty confident in buying the 6 qt duo and an additional insert.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Saw this today
    Name:  D951C28D-6C33-4FD2-B540-017DB66EF6BD.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  68.0 KB

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Saw this today
    Name:  D951C28D-6C33-4FD2-B540-017DB66EF6BD.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  68.0 KB
    Yeah, that's what they had the last time I posted and was really considering it but after reading some posts from other members, I reckon I'll pick up the 6 qt one and get an extra insert. Now I just have to wait for the 6 qt to go on sale so hopefully Canadian Tire puts that on sale closer to Mother's Day!

Cheers for the heads up though.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I reckon I'll pick up the 6 qt one and get an extra insert.
    Food for thought: someone I know just got an extra insert and noted that it's the same size as the existing inner, meaning that they're not stackable for storage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast