Quantcast
Could Alberta Ever Get a Castle Law? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Alberta Ever Get a Castle Law?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Could Alberta Ever Get a Castle Law?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...in-their-homes

Is it even possible? I am 100% behind castle law.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...in-their-homes

Is it even possible? I am 100% behind castle law.
    My understanding is they pretty well charge everyone that uses a gun, but we actually have pretty good laws, just cant overdo it in the mind of a reasonable person. becasue jurors almost always side with the victim of the break in convictions are very rare. But still doesnt excuse being charged in the first place.

I was reading this during the saskatchewan crap the farmer went throuh. It's pretty informative.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/can...#axzz58QJu3jOd
    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...g-home-invader

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Some of these rural areas can be problematic. I hate when the RCMP tries to discourage people from taking things into their own hands yet they frequently have only one or two members in a remote detachment to respond to incidents. At the same time, these fucking government clowns talk about how much funding they've been putting into police services.

It's like they're basically saying, tough shit deal with it. It's not our fuckin' problem if thieves want to take your shit because we'll get there when we get there. It's too bad if our response time isn't fast enough and they're gone by the time we get there since we'll only allow you to cower in your home.

People should be free to defend themselves but the adjunct to that is they'll still need to be accountable for whatever actions they take against other people so I think there is a fine line to consider.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I have very very strong opinions on the Stanley case as I have very close friends in the area and can sympathize with the amount of crime and destruction law abiding citizens are forced to deal with. With the Okotoks case I feel extremely bad for the farmer protecting his land as his life is going to be royally fucked from here on out because of some scummy meth heads.

I hunt gophers out on a property by High River and the property owner has horror stories about what life is like living out side of Calgary. That video from the article is a regular occurrence on his property as well as his neighbors. When I am out there shooting he asks that I text him before I go, after I leave, and what vehicle I am in because he will get tons of calls from his neighbors (as he should). There are also lots of people who stop by to talk to me which is great to see everyone looking out for each other.

I 100% support castle law for rural property owners as I feel the government, police system, and justice system has failed them in protecting their lives and property.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    4x4

The problem is the catch and release were stuck with in the court system... There's 8-10 meth heads around here who are responsible for 90% of the rural property crime.

The best we get is when they fail to appear, get held for 3 months until court for failing to appear - then they're back out on bail causing shit, stealing 4-5 cars a day, gas & dashes, they know how to game the system - and they're just allowed to continue...

If you're arrested in a stolen vehicle running from the cops, while facing charges for the same - there's 0 excuse for bail to be granted again so you can go and do again tomorrow.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The Castle law does apply to your place of immediate dwelling or business. If you are going after shit heads in a garage, then the courts will be less lenient than if they were actually in your house. There was a case not too long ago in SK where a woman shot an unarmed intruder in her home and was not even charged.

If I had a farm, I would (also) have a long range rifle. Shoot these crack heads and then bury them. Leave no witnesses and dont bother the rcmp (much tougher to do in the city).
    Last edited by revelations; 02-28-2018 at 12:13 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    My understanding is they pretty well charge everyone that uses a gun, but we actually have pretty good laws, just cant overdo it in the mind of a reasonable person. becasue jurors almost always side with the victim of the break in convictions are very rare. But still doesnt excuse being charged in the first place.

I was reading this during the saskatchewan crap the farmer went throuh. It's pretty informative.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/can...#axzz58QJu3jOd
    http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...g-home-invader
    Just regarding your link to the Gilbert Budgell case, all charges (to the self defense person) were dropped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...pped-1.4351371

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    The Castle law does apply to your place of immediate dwelling or business. If you are going after shit heads in a garage, then the courts will be less lenient than if they were actually in your house. There was a case not too long ago in SK where a woman shot an unarmed intruder in her home and was not even charged.

If I had a farm, I would (also) have a long range rifle. Shoot these crack heads and then bury them. Leave no witnesses and dont bother the rcmp.
    the problem there is your way you will get charged and go to jail for a very long time. shooting them and reporting, you will get charnged but you probably wont get convicted.

The one concern I had was in one article, they made it sound like you cant brandish a firearm. If i was going to confront cirminals on my property, i would want to be armed in case they are. So that makes it sound like they want you to hid in your celler let the criminals do what they want while it takes the rcmp 20 minutes to get there. And that's just wrong
    Last edited by Gestalt; 02-28-2018 at 12:20 PM.

My Ride

the problem there is your way you will get charged and go to jail for a very long time.
    How exactly will you get charged when no one knows anything and the witnesses are dead?

How exactly will you get charged when no one knows anything and the witnesses are dead?
    surprisingly in the recent case the neighbors heard gunshots and called the police. I would think rural people hear guns all the time for gophers, coyotes whatever.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

surprisingly in the recent case the neighbors heard gunshots and called the police. I would think rural people hear guns all the time for gophers, coyotes whatever.
    Most of the time gun shots get reported when they are at strange times like outside of Okotoks at 5am. A .22 and a .17HMR sound very different from a hunting rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

If I had a farm, I would (also) have a long range rifle. Shoot these crack heads and then bury them. Leave no witnesses and dont bother the rcmp (much tougher to do in the city).

No one is going to miss these threats to society, and if truth be told, the cops don't want to have to deal with this crap either. In other words, the true (not what they say in the media) cop's position, just like any sane person working person, is shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Dogs. Big, ugly protective dogs and don't put a sign up that says 'Beware of dog' because that's just admitting guilt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post

No one is going to miss these threats to society, and if truth be told, the cops don't want to have to deal with this crap either. In other words, the true (not what they say in the media) cop's position, just like any sane person working person, is shoot, shovel, and shut up.
    Typical beyond talk but the reality wouldn't be the same.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Silverado

Guard dogs are the way I'd go as well.

castle law just for rural property owners?? That makes zero sense. In regards to the okotoks issue... the second he left his house with a gun and shot the thief has removed any basis for defence.

I wouldn't mind better protections for home owners in general but castle laws arent going to solve any crime issues. Castle law doctrine wont allow a home owner to shoot any thief..

The misconception by many is that castle law will give them thr freedom for a vigilante style justice. There is a happy medium in the middle that every home owner should have.

Unfortunately the liberals have already shot down any castle laws thanks to all the red necks and racists who came out of the closets due the Stanley trial. That could have been a good segway into property rights but it wasnt. The out cry all but ruled out castle laws while the liberals are in charge.

My Ride
    4x4

Name:  CO-Height.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  58.4 KB

Caucasian ovcharka

Jus sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post

Typical beyond talk but the reality wouldn't be the same.
    Uh huh.

'typical Beyond"

Fuck you and your arrogant and self righteous position.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Canadians don’t want more rights, they prefer the state tell them what to do and take care of them.

The closest thing to a libertarian issue that the country has gotten behind in the last 20 years is weed.

I don’t see any way this gets traction due to the sheer scale of bad information and emotional trash out there about firearms and self defense.

I think if more Canadians knew how messed up our self defense laws are there would be more of a conversation but so long as that information remains safely hidden in the legalese of the criminal code and case law the sheep stay silent.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Dogs are great, except in almost all theft instances here involving dogs they are drugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty_10 View Post
    Dogs are great, except in almost all theft instances here involving dogs they are drugged.
    That and true overprotective guard dogs aren’t nice to have around. It’s much more likely that you’ll end up in court trying to keep you dog from being euthanized after biting someone innocent than it actually saving you from an intruder.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 11 ... LastLast