Quantcast
Bank account fees and balances - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bank account fees and balances

Default Bank account fees and balances

Guys this is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if you all have thoughts on bank account fees and balances. I was planning to go with BMO Premium bank account with the World Elite Cashback credit card, which are free if you keep a balance of > $6k. But then I was reading on /r/PersonalFinance_Canada that unless you use all the features of a Premium account (which I really don't), then it's financially better to get a lesser account such as BMO Plus or Performance that require $3k or $4k balance, and keep the rest in a TFSA or something. I guess the difference in interest is minimal, but then again i'm thrifty as hell LOL.

Just curious what you guys do.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by FixedGear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys this is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering if you all have thoughts on bank account fees and balances. I was planning to go with BMO Premium bank account with the World Elite Cashback credit card, which are free if you keep a balance of > $6k. But then I was reading on /r/PersonalFinance_Canada that unless you use all the features of a Premium account (which I really don't), then it's financially better to get a lesser account such as BMO Plus or Performance that require $3k or $4k balance, and keep the rest in a TFSA or something. I guess the difference in interest is minimal, but then again i'm thrifty as hell LOL.

Just curious what you guys do.
    Older thread but info hasn't really changed
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/355...light=accounts

IMO If you're gonna use a premium credit card, the interest of putting your 2K elsewhere isn't going to compensate for the $99+ annual fee

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Older thread but info hasn't really changed
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/355...light=accounts

IMO If you're gonna use a premium credit card, the interest of putting your 2K elsewhere isn't going to compensate for the $99+ annual fee
    Thanks dude! will check that thread out.

If your money is just sitting... TFSA or your BMO premium... it's doing the same thing.

Personally go TFSA and get that money working for you. If you're not into learning it yourself. Find an advisor.
    Many people buy ETF's or high dividend stocks within their TFSA. Gotta grow that balance.

Sorry I need to point out that you spelled adviser wrong, perhaps you did it on purpose as in a "Financial advisor" Where they are sales people and not "Financial advisers"

"Various government securities acts spell out the responsibilities of “advisers” to their clients. Meanwhile, the investment industry commonly calls their salespersons “financial advisors” even if they are not registered to act as advisors."

http://www.moneysense.ca/save/invest...or-or-adviser/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

in common usage, those two spellings are interchangeable. I know the industry tries to make some kind of distinction, but it's not meaningful to the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

If you are thrifty as hell, then wth are you with BMO?

I have been with PC Financial (not Simplii for everything except credit card) since i was 16 (34 now), and haven't needed to visit a bank except for like 3 times in all that time. Having any balance sitting in chequeing account is basically paying a fee, as it's lost income from interest. All the big banks offer next to nothing on saving accounts, so no point of even using them for any kind of savings. PC Financial World Elite credit card is also free. I do use RBC for my investments mostly because that's who my work uses for our RRSP matching, but other than that, day to day banking, Simplii just works.

My Ride
    Legacy Spec B

The fee for the world elite card is $120. Since you have to keep 6k in the account could think of it as the account gives you a 2% interest rate. Plus you get a couple more features. I've been using a while now. Been annoyed the cashback/reward point have been scaled back.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    If you are thrifty as hell, then wth are you with BMO?

I have been with PC Financial (not Simplii for everything except credit card) since i was 16 (34 now), and haven't needed to visit a bank except for like 3 times in all that time. Having any balance sitting in chequeing account is basically paying a fee, as it's lost income from interest. All the big banks offer next to nothing on saving accounts, so no point of even using them for any kind of savings. PC Financial World Elite credit card is also free. I do use RBC for my investments mostly because that's who my work uses for our RRSP matching, but other than that, day to day banking, Simplii just works.
    Good point... Guess I didn't really think about it that way. I do like bring able to go into a physical bank, but I really only do that a couple of times per year. One reason I wanted to go with BMO is I wanted to waive the $120 annual credit card fee on the World Elite cash back, but maybe I could pay that $120 using interest from a TFSA or stocks.
    Last edited by FixedGear; 03-04-2018 at 03:16 PM.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Fee is $150 for Regualr World Elite Mastercard. For now, priority pass alone worth keeping BMO World Elite card if you travel out of country regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    in common usage, those two spellings are interchangeable. I know the industry tries to make some kind of distinction, but it's not meaningful to the public.
    It doesn't matter if they are interchangeable in the public, they're not interchangeable in the financial industry and it is meaningful or should I say it should be meaningful to the public. The banks call their employees "advisors" on purpose and purposely mislead the public by spelling it "advisor" If you have any investments that you buy or bought using an adviser just check the spelling and you'll know if they have your best interest in mind or not. Advisors are sales people, just ask them why they spell it the way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by muse017 View Post
    Fee is $150 for Regualr World Elite Mastercard. For now, priority pass alone worth keeping BMO World Elite card if you travel out of country regularly.
    I do travel internationally quite often - does priority pass lounge access come standard with the World Elite cards (for the cash back one too)?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Star1995 View Post
    It doesn't matter if they are interchangeable in the public, they're not interchangeable in the financial industry and it is meaningful or should I say it should be meaningful to the public. The banks call their employees "advisors" on purpose and purposely mislead the public by spelling it "advisor" If you have any investments that you buy or bought using an adviser just check the spelling and you'll know if they have your best interest in mind or not. Advisors are sales people, just ask them why they spell it the way they do.
    +1 on what Star said. The reason it is "interchangeable" to the public is mainly due to ignorance. Advisers have a fiduciary responsibility and often have a professional designation where average joe blow can work to become an advisor but they are really more of a representative with quotas. As such, advisors will typically give you suitable advice so they can move a unit (product) and get it out of the way, but it is not always advice that is in your best interest. Suitable advice doesn't always get you to where you need to be.

When I meet with advisors I typically ask dummy questions to get a sense of what kind of person they are, but no matter which one I get at TD, they always end with a "so I'm looking at your account and I think we have a couple things to suggest....." spiel.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Why would you try to get a card with only 1.5% cash back with that many hoops to jump thru?

Much like eblend, PC Mastercard Elite here and I can clear that on grocery easy and it's free. Everyone got to eat, it's it's not hard to blow $500-$800 of points I earn per year at Loblaws/Superstore.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-04-2018 at 04:44 PM.

The regular WE travel comes with 4 visits per year and guests can use them. The WE air miles comes with 2 or 4, but pretty sure the cashback doesn’t come with any.

Personally I would recommend the premium plan... it’s not that hard to keep 6000 in there once you’re financially stable. I consider it part of my emergency cash fund. Realistically even if I didn’t have this plan I would always keep 3000 buffer in my chequing account anyways so it’s really only 3000 extra to have all banking features and a waived premium card.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Why would you try to get a card with only 1.5% cash back with that many hoops to jump thru?

Much like eblend, PC Mastercard Elite here and I can clear that on grocery easy and it's free. Everyone got to eat, it's it's not hard to blow $500-$800 of points I earn per year at Loblaws/Superstore.
    What are all these hoops you’re talking about? It’s simple...maintain 6000 in your chequing account

Also if you’re only using that card at superstore and earning 500-800 that means you’re spending 17-26k at superstore a year. I guess that’s do-able if you have a decent sized family but for most that’s not a realistic expectation.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    What are all these hoops you’re talking about? It’s simple...maintain 6000 in your chequing account

Also if you’re only using that card at superstore and earning 500-800 that means you’re spending 17-26k at superstore a year. I guess that’s do-able if you have a decent sized family but for most that’s not a realistic expectation.
    Based on $30K per year, not at Superstore but all MC spendings. Refund around $300, which can be around $400 if you shop at Superstore often. According to BMO, you would get around $450 back on $30K.

All the hassle to move $6K to a bank to get may be $200 more at best is a lot of hassle for little return. Now all I read is 1.5% but if there are other perks, it may be worth it. I'm straight comparing on cash. If you already bank at BMO, then it's not an hassle.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-04-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    The regular WE travel comes with 4 visits per year and guests can use them. The WE air miles comes with 2 or 4, but pretty sure the cashback doesn’t come with any.

Personally I would recommend the premium plan... it’s not that hard to keep 6000 in there once you’re financially stable. I consider it part of my emergency cash fund. Realistically even if I didn’t have this plan I would always keep 3000 buffer in my chequing account anyways so it’s really only 3000 extra to have all banking features and a waived premium card.
    Yeah I usually keep $10k in my bank account as a buffer for paying bills, etc., and anything over $10k gets transferred into high interest or stocks. So the $6k would be no problem for me. That said, I'm starting to reconsider keeping a $10k balance, because really I never use more than $3k/month and it gets replenished by direct deposits anyway. So basically I have $7k sitting there for no reason and I could be making a little bit of profit from that if invested elsewhere.