Quantcast
Samsung S9 Plus (VS) Pixel 2 XL - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Samsung S9 Plus (VS) Pixel 2 XL

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good choice. I had the Pixel 2 XL and Pixel 2 for about a month, main things that bothered me was the sub-par LG pOLED screen, flimsy USB C to 3.5mm adapter, only digital zoom, and low light performance.
    If you had a problematic OLED you should have exchanged it - granted it's a small hassle (keep the old one, google sends new one, google pays to ship old one back), but worth it and you're never without a phone. I have a perfect OLED now and it's one of the better screens I have used, particularly for color accuracy and white uniformity (the hardest thing to get on OLEDs). There is no more blue tint than any other OLED when you tilt it to extreme angles.

Yes the dongle blows, as do all of them. It doesn't even match the phone color haha. Sad reality of most phones these days. Kudos to Samsung for keeping the headphone jack.

Virtually every smartphone has a digital-only zoom. Low light performance on the Pixel 2/XL (with regards to image quality) is as good as it gets. The professional reviews and objective testing echo this as well. The reason why it's so good is Google's algorithm stacks 9 photos and since photo noise occurs randomly it can get rid of almost all the noise. It's really quite something how they can make an image from a 1/2.3" sensor almost noise-free, relatively speaking. They also used the Snapdragon DSP to process the images, and now they use their own proprietary 'visual core' processor to handle HDR+ processing, both of which are unique to the Pixels. Make sure you have HDR+ turned on. If you noticed particularly bad low light performance, it's very likely that something else was going on.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:49 PM.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I had a change of heart and returned the S9+ when Koodo did a $450 off on a Pixel 2 XL a month ago.

Luckily, I received one with better pOLED screen and no issues so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a change of heart and returned the S9+ when Koodo did a $450 off on a Pixel 2 XL a month ago.

Luckily, I received one with better pOLED screen and no issues so far.
    Mine is near perfect as well, probably the most accurately calibrated oled I have used to date, at least for my tastes (natural looking). No more blue tint than any other OLED and the best white uniformity I have seen on a phone display to date. Bad white uniformity plagues almost all oleds and is really hard to get a perfect sample.

Looking at the gmail app, tilting the phone almost 180 degrees the screen just gets darker, it doesn’t go blue. I think some earlier models had bad screens and tech blogs blew it grossly out of proportion.

Freedom has a steal of a deal for S9+. $0 up-front and $75/mo. for 5GB and unlimited North America.

I made the switch from Telus back in March (and traded in my Note 5 to get an even better deal). I love the new phone (no touchscreen issues that I"ve seen) and the coverage/speed is pretty good.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/plans-a...galaxy-s9-plus

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2