Quantcast
Family SUV: Mitsubishi? Jeep? Acura? Toyota? Others? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Family SUV: Mitsubishi? Jeep? Acura? Toyota? Others?

Default Family SUV: Mitsubishi? Jeep? Acura? Toyota? Others?

Hi Beyond,

Looking for your wisdom before purchasing a new(to me) SUV for the wife; as we have just had our little one.

My hopes are to find something 2015 or newer, under 50 xxxkm, between 20-30k(willing to spend a bit more if needed for something with a lower depreciation curve)

What are your suggestions?

Any insight into the Mitsubishi Outlander? seems to be the most bang for the buck? seems like you can pick up a 2016-2017 with low km for mid 20's.

Toyota 4runner- I had a co-worker offer a 2014 4runner sr5 with under 60xxxkm for 29k. Seems like a steal in comparison as to whats listed on Kijiji and VMR Canada pricing; however I am having a difficulties justifying spending 30k on a vehicle that doesn't even have heated seats? If my though process is incorrect, please correct me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited-Seems like I can pick up one of these 2015 with around 50k for the 30 mark

Jeep Cherokee-Thoughts on these vehicles? seem to be pretty good value for the options you get and the price you pay.

Acura RDX- 2016 and new seem to be selling for low 30's(seems like they have not depreciated much?)

what else should I be looking at, and what should I stay away from?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Grand Cherokee is an excellent vehicle, they'll be cheaper than the imports and offer a lot of value for money. The 2014s had teething issues with the refresh, stick to the 2015s.

I had a top-spec Cherokee for a month-long rental and hated it. That 9spd transmission is garbage.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

That's a pretty good deal on the 4runner, to the point i'd be looking at it long and hard as it will be tough to top for the price and functionality.. Does heated seats make it a deal breaker?
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Grab that 4 runner and put in aftermarket heated seats. Lots of places in Calgary that do it. That's a great deal.

My Ride
    Bicycle

No question, grab that 4 Runner now. Great price, low mileage. Basically dealer trade-in price.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

If you pass on the 4Runner, could you PM me your co-worker's contact information?

My Ride
    V8s

+1^ I would be interested in that 4runner as well if the others don't take it!!

If you decide not to go with that, I'm happy with our RDX. It's older (I wanted the turbo SH-awd one), but still offered everything we wanted along with being reasonably fun to drive. Great size for 1 kid, 2 kids we'll either be buying bigger or getting a thule.

My Ride
    2.4L DC5 Turbo/W208

2013+ RDX gets my vote for the following reasons:

#1 -V6 J-series engine is relabel and powerful (the only down side is it has a timing belt) Honda has used this engine for over 15 years - there is a reason behind that.

#2 - it has a standard conventional 6 Speed automatic transmission; none of this silly 7 speed-9speed shit that isn't that reliable in todays lineup

the only problems/complaints I've seen/heard are:
    brake pad squeal (should be covered under warranty with updated part)
    rear shocks make noise (should be covered under warranty with updated part)
    *these are minor problems IMHO and won't leave you stranded on the road or make the car undriveable

Why Listen to me? Worked at Acura for 7 years. And my family recently bought a 2017 RDX for the above reasons

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a top-spec Cherokee for a month-long rental and hated it. That 9spd transmission is garbage.
    This is the truth. I also had the misfortune of receiving on of those for a 2-week rental in Hawaii. One of the worst vehicles I have ever experienced, and that 9spd transmission is utter garbage. It would be in 8th or 9th gear at 30km/h and wouldn't shift down unless you floored it for 2-3 full seconds, and then it felt like the vehicle was going to explode. It would also constantly shift up going up steep hills and then lurch back into a lower gear when you floor it to keep the vehicle from stalling in such a high gear. It's also built like a toy inside & out and feels cheap as hell. It was brand new, so it didn't have any hard miles on it yet.

Are the Grand Cherokees still rolling on the ancient MB ML platform?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I guess it depends on what you're using it for, any off-roading or is this basically a family station wagon? The 4Runner for that price sounds like a deal no doubt but taking that out of the equation I suggest looking at a Hyundai Santa Fe XL. Don't laugh, I never would have thought I would buy one either but the wife drives a 2013 top trim model and it was $5K less than the next closest (Toyota Highlander) and had more features. Heated & cooled front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, panoramic sunroof and great stereo. Hyundai also runs five year / 100K bumper to bumper warranty whereas most others are 3 year / 60K unless you pony up a couple grand for extended. We're right at 100K on the clock and there have been two stupid little warranty things but nothing significant. As a family hauler it's been a very pleasant surprise, fantastic bang for the buck and compared to pretty much everything else in the segment, not terrible to drive either.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

So the 4runner is gone; it was was my Co-workers brother and he was offering at the trade in value.(Kicking myself now).

I see you guys are commenting on the Cherokees with the negative experience; are the Grand Cherokees ok? I previously made a thread asking about a Laredo trim, and the impression I got was to go with at least a limited model? or higher? are the v6 limiteds ok?

Acura RDX looks great, would really prefer a 16 or newer, however they are still going for mid 30's. I was told if you buy at the right time, it is possible to pick one up brand new for high 30's/low 40's.

The Vehicle would essentially be solely a family station wagon for the wife. She is currently in a TDI Jetta, and we would like to get her into something bigger and safer for the baby. I am not overly fond of Hyndai's/Kia's (I have not given them an honest chance). I will take a look, thanks for the suggestion.

As a side note; I am finding limited options for private sales via Kijiji. any other place to look?

Thanks,

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

what about the explorer or escape?

Are the Ford SUV's bad for rapid depreciation? or fairly normal?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by importracer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are the Ford SUV's bad for rapid depreciation? or fairly normal?
    Normal for a domestic. Bad compared to a Toyota

My Ride
    Bang Bus

I suggest a Toyota highlander or Lexus RX

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Lada Niva

My Ride
    2018 Golf R

I can get most anything and have extensive automotive knowledge give me a chance to go to work for you
    Everyday is a great day when you drive a VW