Quantcast
Home Security and Alarms - what to look out for? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Security and Alarms - what to look out for?

My Ride

Angry Home Security and Alarms - what to look out for?

Some douchebag tried to break into my garage, but didn't get past the deadbolt and beefed up doorframe.
    As far as I can tell my neighbors dog was freaking out so they left.

I've taken steps so that if they come back, the garage is a harder target, but my fiancee is seriously sketched out and wants to feel safe in the house. I'd also like a bit of piece of mind that my stuff is being watched when I'm not there.

So I'm thinking of a security system that is monitored, and that I can also use for the garage. My house isn't huge so it should be straightforward, but the garage is detached.

I have a friend with Vivint, and it seems ok from my limited knowledge. What things should I look out for? What sort of installations costs and monthly fees? Any recommendations?

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

I have United Alarm - its fine. It has an App for arming/disarming and seeing faults etc.

But I would suggest picking up one or two outdoor cameras (I use Ring - but I hear Nest is really good) and throw one up above the garage and front door. We had a few car prowlings in our neighborhood and I put a few up and haven't had any issues since. And I made sure my cameras were in plain view so potential thieves saw them before thinking about breaking in.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

They are all crap so just go with whatever costs you the least and helps you sleep at night.

Make sure they pull an alarm permit, and make sure you have cameras so you can positively determine someone has broken in or else police won’t respond.

I just self monitor now with an old Honeywell panel and nest cams. ADT didn’t do fuck all anyways so it’s 50 bucks in my pocket every month. Better spending the money on insurrance.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I just self monitor now with an old Honeywell panel and nest cams. ADT didn’t do fuck all anyways so it’s 50 bucks in my pocket every month. Better spending the money on insurrance.
    +1. If you have cameras set up and get notified of any disturbances, you can confirm it isn't a false alarm and then call the cops yourself, and even get snapshots of the perps. Just as good as monitoring (perhaps even better), without the monthly cost.

Mine does use a cell card to ensure it can call out and no lines can be cut. Battery backup too. As far as I know, nothing they can do to disable it - which is also something I'm not certain those companies can/do offer.

I use Liberty Alarm. They've been pretty good.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    +1. If you have cameras set up and get notified of any disturbances, you can confirm it isn't a false alarm and then call the cops yourself, and even get snapshots of the perps. Just as good as monitoring (perhaps even better), without the monthly cost.

Mine does use a cell card to ensure it can call out and no lines can be cut. Battery backup too. As far as I know, nothing they can do to disable it - which is also something I'm not certain those companies can/do offer.
    I had my wireless system replaced a few years ago. The tech told me to watch this, then whacked the front cover off and yanked out the power connector. No alarm, easy peazy. Takes 5-10 seconds to dial out successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I had my wireless system replaced a few years ago. The tech told me to watch this, then whacked the front cover off and yanked out the power connector. No alarm, easy peazy. Takes 5-10 seconds to dial out successfully.
    Hide the box well so it has time to call out I guess....
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Hide the box well so it has time to call out I guess....
    This was the tamper alarm on a disarmed touch screen panel. If the alarm was activated it would be a hell of a sprint from the moment a door switch is triggered to kill the panel that quickly, but not impossible if it was practiced.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just like cars, none of this is going to stop a professional thief. If they have their mind set on taking your stuff they can and will.

Insurance.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This was the tamper alarm on a disarmed touch screen panel. If the alarm was activated it would be a hell of a sprint from the moment a door switch is triggered to kill the panel that quickly, but not impossible if it was practiced.
    In my case, the entry panel by the doors is just that - a panel. It isn't the "brains" of the system. That's in an entirely different place and even if one were to know where that place was, there is no way they could make their way to it and destroy it before it dialed out because they'd be caught by the motion detectors en route, which trip the alarm instantly.

My Ride

Just finished replacing the door last night... had to cut out the old lockset to be able to open the door. I have a few ideas on how to beef things up even more, but it's solid now.

Next I'll be putting in video surveillance. That seems straightforward.

And yes, I'm insured. Very well. Everything that can be insured is. That's not what this thread is about.
    I have no interest in monitoring my own security system. I can't stop a meeting because my phone is going off.

For those with monitored alarm systems, what sort of monthly costs do you see? Installation costs?
    I was thinking just window and door sensors on the ground floors.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

United used to be the cheapest at $20 a month. I thought that was too expensive and cancelled it. Still have the yard sign and window stickers so that's probably providing all the protection I need.

Some people claim reductions in home insurance but call your provider to find out how much. Mine was miniscule. Yours may be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    United used to be the cheapest at $20 a month. I thought that was too expensive and cancelled it. Still have the yard sign and window stickers so that's probably providing all the protection I need.

Some people claim reductions in home insurance but call your provider to find out how much. Mine was miniscule. Yours may be different.
    I know my insurance company does too - no idea how much they typically give you off because in my case since it is self-monitored, they don't consider it. I do think the yard signs and window stickers are usually enough to ward off people afraid of an alarm. If they break in anyway, they probably plan to either defeat the alarm somehow to leave before anyone can arrive anyway. For my self-monitored alarm, I have ADT signs and stickers. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

You can get all that on ebay for about 1/4 of the price.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

How does it work when out of cell service and you don't get a notification?
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

When I spoke to TD about it they still give me a discount but not as big as it would be if it was “centrally monitored”.

As for the self monitored and what happens if out of cell range? Well the siren will still go off and attract the attention of everyone in the neighbourhood. Chances are someone is going to call the police or notice in some way.

You can reduce the risk of out of cell issues by having more than one person receive notifications. Between me and the wife it would be very rare for neither of us to have service. If you can’t duck out of a meeting to confirm that your home is being broken into, well you must certainly be very important haha.

For costs, monthly is going to be 30-50 dollars a months give or take what kind of service you go with. You shouldn’t have to pay for installation as all of the big companies will give it to you for free on a contract unless you go with some gold plated system.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

With the products out there, it's better to do your own setup than paying monthly fee. I've cancelled Vivint a while ago, not looking back.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mikestypes View Post
    How does it work when out of cell service and you don't get a notification?
    All security and alarm equipment doesn't stop break-ins.

It just discourage them to move to easier targets or people who don't have them.

There are many houses get broken into even with alarm and central monitoring. All the siren does is limit the time they spend in your home and limit the damages to high value areas like master bedroom where valuables are kept.

So it doesn't really matter. They know they will have 15mins or so to work even if there is an alarm and will dress properly that cameras are almost useless.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-08-2018 at 04:05 PM.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Security systems keep honest people honest. thats about it.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

We have quite a lot of car prowlings up here in the classy SW and some attempted break-ins. I find people don't give a fuck about cameras, unless they are obscure or maybe druggies that don't see them at night. That being said since I put a camera on mine and pointed it out onto the street (im on the corner) I havent had any issues.

Just the other day there was a guy who had someone attempt to breakin to the front door of his house at 2.30pm while his kids were at home and he had vivint and Im guessing a "ring" type camera and the guy did not care he jammed his screw driver into the front door lock multiple times to try and get in before running off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast