Quantcast
First Triathalon.. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: First Triathalon..

My Ride
    Wankels!

When I did the MEC duathlon last fall I was on the bike way before anyone was done swimming. If the staggered start is the same again you'll be on the road before the swimmers are.
    The 5km run is 2.5km of flat/downhill, then turn around and do 2.5km of uphill/flat. Transition requires running about 150m with your bike before you can mount the bike. A little punchy climb Westbound out of town followed by a short downhill, then flat most of the way and a gradual climb before turning around and blasting back to town. Recover a bit when you get back into town and take a few moments to stretch (for me it was calves) on the bike before you transition and run 1.25km out and back.
    When you finish, go stand by the bike dismount section and watch people fall on their face while clipped in. Excellent entertainment.

My time last year was 1:10:03. 21:22 for the run (4:10 pace), 34:38 for the bike (34.9km/hr), 11:07 for the 2.5km run (4:27 pace). Add transition times to that.

Good luck!

That's helpful Penguin, thanks. 4:10 5k!
    My plan was to dog it for the first 5k at a 5 min pace, then go at FTP for the entire bike leg then whatever I've got left goes for the last run.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I did the MEC duathlon last fall I was on the bike way before anyone was done swimming. If the staggered start is the same again you'll be on the road before the swimmers are.
    It's the same. I went in the 12-14 minute time group (3rd fastest), and i still don't hit the pool till 950. They're limited to like 4 - 5 a lane, so it's gonna be slow.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Sounds like they’re shortening to a try a tri length. Seeing if I can delay entry fee as there is no way $55 is worth an event that will take less then an hour... annoyed

Yeah lame. Gonna drive an hour each way for a 45 minute race.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Hoping that air quality goes bad enough they just cancel it and I can move the fees to the centurry

My Ride
    Macan GTS

air quality is definitely an issue. it's 2.5 micrometer particles to keep an eye on. that shit goes straight into the bloodstream, lungs can't filter it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin_Racecar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 5km run is 2.5km of flat/downhill, then turn around and do 2.5km of uphill/flat. Transition requires running about 150m with your bike before you can mount the bike. A little punchy climb Westbound out of town followed by a short downhill, then flat most of the way and a gradual climb before turning around and blasting back to town. Recover a bit when you get back into town and take a few moments to stretch (for me it was calves) on the bike before you transition and run 1.25km out and back.
    When you finish, go stand by the bike dismount section and watch people fall on their face while clipped in. Excellent entertainment.

My time last year was 1:10:03. 21:22 for the run (4:10 pace), 34:38 for the bike (34.9km/hr), 11:07 for the 2.5km run (4:27 pace). Add transition times to that.

Good luck!
    PR why are you such a beast man, lol

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Annnd cancelled. The climbzilla thing from Calgary cycle is still on so a bit disappointed..
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 08-18-2018 at 09:02 AM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Neils, you win the climbduro? Beast...

My Ride
    Wankels!

Nope, didn't win the climbduro. 8th overall on the full climb. Couldn't find my HR strap so I just rode on feel. The last grunt up to the top was too steep for my road gearing so I had to walk a bit. Ended up 9 minutes back from the lead, which I'm OK with as that guy finished 5th at Nationals.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1781215286

I wonder if they'll hold the MEC Tri/Duathlon later? If so I might sign up.

Edit: Climbduro was fun by the way. It's essentially a reverse enduro with the climb being timed and you just have to make it back to Bragg Creek via a designated mountain bike trail by the time cut-off. One guy attempted it on a road bike and did well on the climb, but had 4 flats along the way. Men's podium was all mountain bikes. Women's winner was on a cyclocross bike. I'll probably do it again next year.
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 08-18-2018 at 08:23 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I saw you were the fastest today on strava for the whole loop, so figured you had it. Didn't know that they had only done the time to the top, not the whole loop. Interesting that the mountain bikers were first as i figured the road bikers would be able to pull enough of a lead to stay ahead. what bike did you use?

jesus i need to bike more, guy that got first has 10k under his belt this year already. i was happy to almost be to 3k
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 08-18-2018 at 09:29 PM.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Guy that got first isn't David Yexley. Yexley got third, three minutes off the lead. The guy in first is Evan Guthrie. Super fast XC/Enduro guy.
    At ABA's request we did a pretty long neutral roll out for safety/lungs. The real race started maybe 5km from the gravel start. I used my bikepacking bike - a 29er mountain bike frame with rigid fork, 2" mountain bike tires, drop bar, road drivetrain.
    For next year I'd probably run some 2.2" tires (so I can get more traction on the rough stuff) and an 11-42 cassette.

Edit: Looked at his rides on Strava and figured he was a bike courier. Theory confirmed - http://www.aidannidelet.ca/articles/david-yexley/
    That explains his ridiculous yearly mileage.
    Last edited by Penguin_Racecar; 08-18-2018 at 11:11 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Strava was lying to me. Thanks for the info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3