Quantcast
Review: plowshare - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Review: plowshare

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It gets easier and easier each time you hit 'No Tip'.
    I figure if there's ppl behind me looking at my 'No tip' option I'm just setting the example for them.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I wonder what the response to these arguments would be if we were talking about oil and gas bonuses instead of tips
    Or any other job, really. Company has a bad year, employee still expects bonus. After many consecutive bad years, employee still doesn't get bonus, is upset about it, but still continues working for said company

The exceptions would be commission only jobs like Realty or car sales but even then you know full well what you're getting into beforehand.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    Can someone point me to the ride-share-plow with this weather..?
    I think there's only one driver right now.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...out-neighbours

My Ride
    '14 Taco

#plowshare could totally be a money maker...and definitely what i think of when i see this topic

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:59 AM.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I keep finding articles that say that traditionally liquor servers were paied at a lower minimum wage than provincial minimum wage, but I can't find a history of it.

https://www.alberta.ca

From above:

"Alberta’s general minimum wage will increase to $11.20 from $10.20 per hour. The liquor server minimum wage will rise to $10.70 from $9.20 per hour in the first of two steps to eliminate the differential rate altogether in 2016."

I thought that was where the tipping came from originally. Kind of like sales commissions? You earn a base wage and have the possibility for commissions (tips) based on sales (happy customers.) That also means that just like in sales you can't coast, and have to earn the commissions. Honestly, the minute serving wage and real minimum wage line up, tipping should go out the window, like in the UK/Europe.

My Ride
    NC1

Beyonders so passionate about tipping / not tipping lol just like yearly winter tire debates

The system is the system. The market is the market.

Everything always works out. Even Steven. Thanks raj or Seinfeld haha

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    I keep finding articles that say that traditionally liquor servers were paied at a lower minimum wage than provincial minimum wage, but I can't find a history of it.

https://www.alberta.ca

From above:

"Alberta’s general minimum wage will increase to $11.20 from $10.20 per hour. The liquor server minimum wage will rise to $10.70 from $9.20 per hour in the first of two steps to eliminate the differential rate altogether in 2016."

I thought that was where the tipping came from originally. Kind of like sales commissions? You earn a base wage and have the possibility for commissions (tips) based on sales (happy customers.) That also means that just like in sales you can't coast, and have to earn the commissions. Honestly, the minute serving wage and real minimum wage line up, tipping should go out the window, like in the UK/Europe.
    I am pretty sure it's already lined up. All servers should be making minimum wage of $13.60hr right now, up to $15.00/hr in October of this year. I don't think there is a differential for liquor servers anymore either, this article suggests there is no differential as of 2016:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...hike-1.3784941

This also says liquor servers get the same minimum wage:

https://www.alberta.ca/minimum-wage.aspx

If they were making a lot less than minimum wage, maybe more of them would do more than the minimum. Then the tip structure would actually make sense.

$15.00/hr + tips that nobody pays taxes on + industry perks is actually pretty decent for unskilled labor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the USA, servers make almost nothing except tips, which is why service is 100X better. It should either be a living/minimum wage and no tips, or a small hourly wage and mostly tips.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-16-2018 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I am pretty sure it's already lined up. All servers should be making minimum wage of $13.60hr right now, up to $15.00/hr in October of this year. I don't think there is a differential for liquor servers anymore either, this article suggests there is no differential as of 2016:
    I agree, it all says they are lined up. I'm just wondering if tipping is a holdover from when the wages were not the same. No idea why they weren't the same in the first place, I can't really find anything on that. Agree that a lot of servers are doing a sub par job, which means they shouldn't be tipped the same way, if at all. At Tims/other places that ask for tips, I'd rather put my change in the donation box anyway.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know what they make down there but service in the USA is fan-diddly-tastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I don't know what they make down there but service in the USA is fan-diddly-tastic.
    They don't make great minimum wage in most states, however they are highly incentivized. The incentive being that they can be fired at-will

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    I agree, it all says they are lined up. I'm just wondering if tipping is a holdover from when the wages were not the same. No idea why they weren't the same in the first place, I can't really find anything on that. Agree that a lot of servers are doing a sub par job, which means they shouldn't be tipped the same way, if at all. At Tims/other places that ask for tips, I'd rather put my change in the donation box anyway.
    Yeah service sucks here because they make a living wage + tax free tips. Even on a bad day, they are clearing decent money for the job. I wonder if you are right in that back in the day, servers made a lot less and tipping was more relied upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    From what I can find, in most states, USA servers make $2.13/hr if they make more than $30 in tips per MONTH. A few states raise that minimum to $3-4/hr. In some other states, if total income (wage + tips) does not equate to the state minimum wage, the employer is required to compensate. There are a few western states that do pay full minimum wage before tips but the vast majority do not work that way and none are even close to $15/hr.

That is why service is so good - most of them are making $2.13/hr or slightly more before tips.

Wikipedia has a good chart:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped..._United_States
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-16-2018 at 09:52 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah service sucks here because they make a living wage + tax free tips. Even on a bad day, they are clearing decent money for the job. I wonder if you are right in that back in the day, servers made a lot less and tipping was more relied upon.
    I'm just making that assumption since they Have lined up serving wage to regular wage. I could be dead wrong.
    Last edited by 300havoc; 03-16-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Derpy derp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4