Quantcast
Review: plowshare - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Review: plowshare

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It gets easier and easier each time you hit 'No Tip'.
    Haha - true enough. I do every time on those. I just see so many people hesitate and then hit "tip" and then it presents them with 3 large options and no obvious way to leave something less, and people just get flustered and keep going because nobody is going to ask the cashier how to back out of a tip. It's such a dirty tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    It gets easier and easier each time you hit 'No Tip'.
    This, but include "did you want to donate an extra $2 to..."

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Any place that does the forced tipping or asks about donations, I leave complaints with management and send an email to their head office.

Only way to get it to change is to do something about it

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    This, but include "did you want to donate an extra $2 to..."
    "Well, I was going to tip you with that $2, but this seems more worthwhile..."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Classic beyond, restaurant review thread turns into a bitchfest about tipping.

FYI, the reason the wait staff get pissed about a 0% tip is because they still have to tip out even if you give them nothing. Places like Joeys/Cactus Club/Earls are 4-5% tip out.

Most waitresses are decent people and at the end of the day they understand if they fucked up your table and deserve 0%. But it's the cases where they did their job and still get 0% that pisses them off... they essentially paid out of their own pocket to serve you, which i'm sure anyone in that position would consider a slap in the face.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Their employer taking their wages out of their earnings and giving them to others is not my problem.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    This, we just went to The Rec Room (cool place BTW) on Saturday with a group of 14. Mandatory 18% but it makes things easier and I always tip between 15-20% anyway.

Good food at The Rec Room but expensive AF.
    Good food at the Rec Room pls tell me you were joking.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can I get a third review of the food at the rec room? I feel so conflicted.

Also, serving is a shitty job, where employers treat you shitty, customers treat you shitty, and the pay averages out to shit.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Can I get a third review of the food at the rec room? I feel so conflicted.
    I haven't been there, but I ate 3/4's of a massive club sandwich my wife brought home from when she went. It was pretty good.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Rec room food is just fine. Very expensive.

Went there for a birthday party a couple months ago and it was satisfactory until the bill came.

I usually just get a gratuitous beer when I go while I play the games.

If you are hungry or thirsty just go to OJ’a across the street. At least that’s what I do.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Also, serving is a shitty job, where employers treat you shitty, customers treat you shitty, and the pay averages out to shit.
    This is actually the opposite in other countries in Europe. Not only are you not expected to tip, but serving is a good career, and you get very well paid.

And I think being treated poorly by others is just a way of life in North America. Customers or others. The "me first" mentality over here is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    FYI, the reason the wait staff get pissed about a 0% tip is because they still have to tip out even if you give them nothing. Places like Joeys/Cactus Club/Earls are 4-5% tip out.

Most waitresses are decent people and at the end of the day they understand if they fucked up your table and deserve 0%. But it's the cases where they did their job and still get 0% that pisses them off... they essentially paid out of their own pocket to serve you, which i'm sure anyone in that position would consider a slap in the face.
    I think most people understand the tip-out, it's just that it isn't the customer's problem. The server chose to work there knowing full well how the business works. If they work at some place with crappy food and lots of people don't tip, that is their problem and they're free to apply to other restaurants. If they provide the bare minimum service or neglect tables, that is their choice and they should expect a 0% tip for that. If they are working their ass off going above and beyond all the time, you aren't going to have to worry about tipping out because your net tips even if some people tip 0% are still going to be a net positive most if not all nights. Even if you simply break even on tip-outs, the minimum wage is very reasonable.

The servers are making $13.60/hr now and $15.00/hr come October. For any unskilled labor, especially in an industry with lots of perks, that is a very fair wage IMO. Most people still tip, and most people tip more than 4-5%, so if a server pays to serve one table but makes money on the other 10, what is the issue? Even if everyone tipped 10% that would be a huge perk for them, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average was still higher than that even with the 0% tables. Almost every other job I can think of involves some unpaid overtime or extra work at times - you win some you lose some.

Just doing the job is literally the bare minimum, and that deserves a 0% tip. I wouldn't expect raises or bonuses if I just showed up every day and simply did my job at the bare minimum - what is different about servers? If they don't want to pay 4% to the kitchen out of their pocket, they have the option to do something to earn that tip. If they do an awesome job, most people are going to tip above 4-5% and they will come out net positive. Those customers are also likely to come back if service was good, and continue tipping similar amounts.

With minimum wage getting so high, there is less and less incentive to do a good job, so the lazy ones shouldn't be surprised to get a smaller tip. And as mentioned earlier, the tip can range wildly for the exact same amount of work depending on menu prices and wine orders, so should there still be an obligation to tip 15-20% there when simply ordering a bottle of wine potentially adds $20 to the expected tip for them to pop a cork? Are we even tipping for the service at that point? It doesn't really seem like it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-15-2018 at 11:39 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The servers are making $13.60/hr now and $15.00/hr come October. For any unskilled labor, especially in an industry with lots of perks, that is a very fair wage IMO.
    Super annoyed that you reiterate that the job requires zero skill, a clear sign that you've never worked in the service industry having to deal with the "customer is always right" attitude. Try serving at a breakfast joint at 10am on a sunday with all the hungover people demanding food immediately, the old folk hanging out chugging coffee at 3 cups a minute, screaming kids everywhere, and a payment machine that breaks down multiple times an hour.

-I agree that the tipping culture is awful and should be abolished
    -I agree that tip outs are not a customer's problem
    -I agree that receiving gratuity based on bill cost is ludicrous

But as it stands, the server is working there on the basis of expecting to earn $X and should not be penalized based on your bad experience with things out of their control. If you are the only table in the whole place and see that the server is just standing around scrolling through instagram while you're ignored, sure that's grounds to justify not tipping. If they are busting their ass while the kitchen wrecked your food that took 3 hours to make, then you should be taking it up with the manager and asking your exceptional server not to be penalized on the tip-out.
    Last edited by jwslam; 03-15-2018 at 11:57 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Super annoyed that you reiterate that the job requires zero skill, a clear sign that you've never worked in the service industry having to deal with the "customer is always right" attitude. Try serving at a breakfast joint at 10am on a sunday with all the hungover people demanding food immediately, the old folk hanging out chugging coffee at 3 cups a minute, screaming kids everywhere, and a payment machine that breaks down multiple times an hour.

But as it stands, the server is working there on the basis of expecting to earn $X and should not be penalized based on your bad experience with things out of their control. If you are the only table in the whole place and see that the server is just standing around scrolling through instagram while you're ignored, sure that's grounds to justify not tipping. If they are busting their ass while the kitchen wrecked your food that took 3 hours to make, then you should be taking it up with the manager and asking your exceptional server not to be penalized on the tip-out.
    We get it, you used to be a server.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

He didn't say zero skill...he said unskilled labor - definition: work that requires practically no training or experience for its adequate or competent performance. A reasonable statement for the serving industry.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't forget CRA fucking you even more years later haha.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle38025478/

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/lo...r-tips-185212/

$15k tax bill, NBD haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Can someone point me to the ride-share-plow with this weather..?

As already pointed out, I never once said it required zero skill. You are putting words in my mouth, and there is no need to be annoyed or offended. It is unskilled, in that you do not need a degree or in many cases experience to do it. That doesn't mean it isn't a respectable job, but it is a fact that it is basic, unskilled labor. There is a reason the industry is dominated by students and younger folks. The time a server spends working on an average table is probably under 5 minutes for the entire dining experience. Obviously the job isn't for everyone, just like manual labor or any other similar job wouldn't be for everyone.

I worked 4.5 years in the customer service industry and I have dealt with all these same types of customers, both good and bad. I stood there countless times after trying to enforce company policy and after the customer would ask for a manager, had to listen to the managers cave every single time and give the customer what they wanted. The only real difference is when I stayed late or did work beyond the bare minimum, I didn't get paid more or tipped.

As for your restaurant description, it would be the server's choice to work in a shitty breakfast place vs a more traditional dining atmosphere. If you can work in a less stressful environment with better average clientele and better tips, nothing's stopping you from quitting.

I agree with all your bullet points, I think most people here do.

I said before, if the server is being penalized for bad kitchen staff or bad food on any kind of regular basis, what on earth is that server still doing working in such a bad restaurant? It is their choice if they want to stay there. If, occasionally, people tip 0% or the cook burns food once a week who cares? If that happens regularly, find a better place to work. I am sure the monthly averages work out well in their favor if it's even a half decent restaurant. I also don't know any servers who claim all their tips to the tax man, so most are going to be saving 30% or whatever it is on those. Imagine if everyone got mad every single time they did a few minutes of work for free at any other job - why is it different for servers? If I bitched about not receiving precise compensation for every little piece of work I did, nobody would want to hire me.

Also what dish at a restaurant takes 3hr to make while the customer waits? If my food took anywhere near 3 hours to make I would be long gone.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-15-2018 at 01:49 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I wonder what the response to these arguments would be if we were talking about oil and gas bonuses instead of tips

fact.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast