Quantcast
Paint stripping? soda, dustless, chemical... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Paint stripping? soda, dustless, chemical...

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Default Paint stripping? soda, dustless, chemical...

My RX-7 has the special 10th Anniversary edition mega shitty paint that flakes off if you look at it funny. It is not a good basis for a new paint job and I need to get it stripped. Plan is to strip paint first, then do body work, so I was hoping I can use a process that has a rust inhibiting effect.. and it sounds like both dustless and soda blasting are good options for that. Anyone have any experience with either one?

Would you recommend chemical or even mechanical (sanding or peeling paint with a razor -- could totally do it on this car) over blasting?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

People swear by all methods.

If the car isn't rusty (or minimal rust), I'd soda blast.

Chemical dipping is great but nobody does it in Alberta anymore. Gotta go to BC, and you are going to pay some insane money. Best bet is to do a vacation to the USA and have the car dipped while you are down there. The problem then becomes if they properly neutralize the solutions they use so the chemical doesn't destroy the paint later down the road.

Of course, if the body overall is in good shape, a good sanding and prep like any typical paint job would go a long way. The other methods are really more for full restos/builds. The soda can be difficult to get rid of completely, and it absorbs moisture which can cause rust!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xp91nSjMU8

Recently saw this on YouTube. Not sure if this would help with what you're trying to do.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People swear by all methods.

If the car isn't rusty (or minimal rust), I'd soda blast.

Chemical dipping is great but nobody does it in Alberta anymore. Gotta go to BC, and you are going to pay some insane money. Best bet is to do a vacation to the USA and have the car dipped while you are down there. The problem then becomes if they properly neutralize the solutions they use so the chemical doesn't destroy the paint later down the road.

Of course, if the body overall is in good shape, a good sanding and prep like any typical paint job would go a long way. The other methods are really more for full restos/builds. The soda can be difficult to get rid of completely, and it absorbs moisture which can cause rust!
    the car actually is in really good shape, only light surface rust in a couple spots. no holes anywhere... except one starting on the rocker panel, which I'm just gonna cover with a side skirt for now.

I'm definitely leaning towards soda blasting myself. chemical dip is overkill for this car. I might sand bits and pieces but the overall paint these cars is so shitty I'd rather get 100% of it off because it's hard to tell which step of the paint process the factory fucked up.. you'd think it'd just be the top coats, but I'd swear the primer lifted off in one doorjam too

My Ride

I'd use a chemical strip, followed by a DA. If I was set on blasting, a plastic media blast is gentle enough to not warp panels while removing all paint. It doesn't do much for rust or bondo. I'd stay away from soda personally, as well as quartz or other abrasives.

The shop I worked in (like 20 years ago) had a first gen RX7 where we removed most paint with a razor blade... the wet-on-wet paint was messed up from the factory and was coming off super easy. We took it down to bare metal using the razor and a DA, and used our normal primer sealer/high build/base/clear.