Quantcast
Enclosed Cargo Trailer for camping/toy hauler - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Enclosed Cargo Trailer for camping/toy hauler

Default Enclosed Cargo Trailer for camping/toy hauler

Curious if anyone has done something like this. Been looking at ideas online of turning a enclosed trailer to camping use and toy hauling. Seems most people put in a pull down bed frame, a shelf or two and electrical. I want it to be able to have room to haul my quad or Harley, and then use it to sleep in as well. Thinking something like a 6 x 12 would work, ideally around 4k for the purchase price of the trailer itself. I think a 5 x 8 would be too small, and I want one that has a side door and rear doors. I could easily enough install venting/heater, and some form of electrical hook up. Don't have a need for a monster toy hauler, and this idea really interests me.

I would like to fit it with a taller and more aggressive tire setup so I can haul it in the bush when we go riding. Any other things to consider? Prices on used 6 x 12 trailers seem to float around 3-4k fairly consistently, even found a couple old stock new ones for $3800. If anyone is selling one hit me up

Had a buddy do one but I think he's net negative at the end of the day. Man hours to cut and fit and refit stuff is insanely time consuming. But he did a kitchen, etc. Basically, if you enjoy DIY, then go fo it.
    Only thing with your idea is the idea of smelling fumes while you're sleeping. 2 stroke oil, etc. Even if clean, those beasts usually give off some type of fumes that would go into the mattress and bedding.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

More work that you expect, and not as cheap as you might hope.
    Cheapest option is to buy a shitty camping trailer and gut it to hold the Harley.

Actually buying a wrecked camping trailer for parts is a decent option no matter how you plan to finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

My neighbor did pretty much what you described. He uses it for hunting. His family is grown up and his wife did not want to camp anymore. So he did not want to keep his camper anymore. This was his alternative.

My Ride
    KTM

I find my enclosed trailer gets dusty when going down gravel roads. It appears to be well sealed but the door on the back can leak I think. Just a thought!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most camping trailers aren't terribly well sealed and let dust in too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I think i'll be making it more basic, its just myself and my wife. Got a few good ideas on the bed frame, some people do a fold up and others use slides that take the frame into the ceiling of the trailer. I seen a couple already built on Kijiji last night, both have heating methods installed which would be ideal. If I find the bare trailer cheap enough I could save a few bucks that way, but one fully built for 5k wouldn't be too bad. One of them is even set up for ice fishing which would be great for me!

I have a 8.5ft x 18ft enclosed trailer I'm looking to sell. It has the side door and the back door is the one piece ramp door.