Quantcast
Flights over 10+ hours (i.e. do you hate flying? regardless cabin choice) - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Flights over 10+ hours (i.e. do you hate flying? regardless cabin choice)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With regards to places like FRA - has anyone used one of those private terminal-terminal transfer services? Seems a little odd to be coming from pimp-class and then walking several kilometeres and then standing in a massive lineup to go through security.

I've seen signs of them at FRA and other places.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The upgrade for ~$5K is only one way for 2 people. It would be ~$10K+ for 2 people if that was a round trip. Most trans-Atlantic business upgrades are $2500 per person per WAY (my experience is mostly Air Canada and their business 'pods'), plus whatever you paid for the Economy ticket ($700-900 or so probably). So you are looking at some pretty serious money there. As you say, you could upgrade your holiday activities and accommodation tremendously if you are willing to spend that money but can tough out the 10hrs in Economy. You could also go on 1-2 additional very nice 2 week holidays for that money.
    I'm a wannabe baller. I only book or upgrade business on my own dime through NA where the prices aren't terrible. International is stupid expensive (5-8x economy prices), and I typically upgrade through eupgrade credits + $500 or aeroplan miles. I'm lucky to fly enough for work to earn enough mileage and status for cheap upgrades.

Revenue upgrades are another way to get cheap upgrades, you can check on the AC app how many people are booked in each class when check-in opens 24h before departure. If economy classes are full or oversold and there's lots of room in business/first, revenue upgrades are offered at a much cheaper rate and worth not burning eupgrade or aeroplan miles. Also pays to book departure dates (ie Saturdays) where this happens most frequently. I had a revenue upgrade, 3 segments (2 segments with business class) from LGA to YQQ for $350. Nothing like having the pilot on the last regional flight segment carry your carryon bags for you even though there's no business class seating.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    I don’t know where you guys are buying your tickets ???

I paid $2990 for a business Pod to London last year. We just got back from Florida and our pods were $1450 a ticket with United.

I still try and find the deals! Haha

And I paid $297CAD for a direct economy flight to London for May 6th

That money can be spent on so much more since it's a night flight anyways, will go to the doc get a couple xanax and sleep and be rested when i wake up in London @ 11am...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm way to cheap to spend an extra $600+/ticket.

I'd rather spend that cash on the vacation itself, or on something more long-lasting. Wifey and I just did 2 x 14 hour flights to/from NZ. Wasn't the worst thing all things considered.

My Ride
    bus

I’m like most of the down to earth members on here, I’d rather take the upgrade cash and use it for an extra week or two of holidays. Gotta love the beyond ballers on here humble bragging. Most of my holidays are booked from deals off of yycdeals, I got to make that dollar stretch.

I love flying, however I am ambivalent toward being a commercial passenger.

Unless it's travel for work (on the clock), my general rule is that you stay 1 day per flight hour (10hr flight =10 day vaca). I try my best to make sure that air travel is as immemorable as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I'm a wannabe baller. I only book or upgrade business on my own dime through NA where the prices aren't terrible. International is stupid expensive (5-8x economy prices), and I typically upgrade through eupgrade credits + $500 or aeroplan miles. I'm lucky to fly enough for work to earn enough mileage and status for cheap upgrades.

Revenue upgrades are another way to get cheap upgrades, you can check on the AC app how many people are booked in each class when check-in opens 24h before departure. If economy classes are full or oversold and there's lots of room in business/first, revenue upgrades are offered at a much cheaper rate and worth not burning eupgrade or aeroplan miles. Also pays to book departure dates (ie Saturdays) where this happens most frequently. I had a revenue upgrade, 3 segments (2 segments with business class) from LGA to YQQ for $350. Nothing like having the pilot on the last regional flight segment carry your carryon bags for you even though there's no business class seating.
    That sounds pretty good haha. The only flights I have been offered meaningful upgrades on were a few times to Europe, Japan, and I think Hawaii. All the times I can remember were Air Canada and I would get an email just before the trip offering the pods for $2K+ per way + what you already paid. I don't fly enough to get any kinds of points or loyalty perks with the airlines. If it was ~$500 or so I would be upgrading every single time - you'd think the airlines would offer that once the plane is off the ground, so they make something instead of nothing from the business section that is often sparsely populated.

My Ride
    M3P

I'm a large guy. Flew to Dubai in economy class from Seattle with Emirates. Was not uncomfortable whatsoever. I can't really justify the costs associated with flying business. I do however understand the value in particular situations. I don't have the bankroll to be able to pull that trigger.

Even for our Honeymoon we booked Premium Economy for the majority of the flights and some legs in Economy. We splurged on hotels but for flights we're just winging it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Had to fly economy in AC express to Nanaimo last week. No business class on the Q400 with ac . I’m a small guy and it was still painful.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I find as long as my knees aren't touching the seat in front of me, or some morbidly obese person is beside me, I am OK. If you can avoid putting a bag under the seat in front of you, it's usually not too hard to stretch out a bit either, and you can always get up and walk around every 30 mins or so if you're cramping up. The 787's have a reclining method that doesn't encroach on your personal space as much either, and it's pretty easy to get on those planes for longer hauls. We took one to London, UK and I was worried by the seat pitch, but it was the most comfortable Economy flight I have ever had. Seats were fine, windows are huge, air is fresher, less dry, and the plane is way quieter than I am used to.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I have no issues flying long distance. I can watch 6 movies in a row. However I had the pleasure of flying in a JAL pod once and it was such a great experience. Wish the flight from Tokyo was longer!!

With that said, like most ppl here, I would love to fly pod but can't justify the cost. When we went to Europe last year I thought I would splurge for the upgrade at the airport as it was sort of a pre-wedding trip. But at $2500+ to upgrade just the 1 way (When we paid $900/pp round trip), we couldn't justify it and rather spend the money on food and booze for when we get to Spain/France.

One day I wish I can at least justify Premium Economy to HK.. but probably not.. I'm too cheap.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I'm a large guy. Flew to Dubai in economy class from Seattle with Emirates. Was not uncomfortable whatsoever. I can't really justify the costs associated with flying business. I do however understand the value in particular situations. I don't have the bankroll to be able to pull that trigger.
    Wait till you fly economy with Lufthansa, by far the most cramped experience known to man (I'm 6'2"). Last flight I flew with them on economy, the guy next to me had already sat down (no clue how he beat me as I had priority boarding) and had both his arms over both arm rests on either side. I mean, he wasn't doing it on purpose, it's just that the seats are that cramped and if you have any upper body width, it's game over. I needed to sleep, so what option do I have with his arm in 1/3 of my seat? I cuddled up to his arm. After 20 mins, I won the gay-off, and he found an empty seat elsewhere and moved. Bam, instant free upgrade for me. So yea, $500 to not play the gay-off game, I'm so there. Would've paid $1000 haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

You guys have some wealthy friends.

I'm just stoked I have a friend that has his own rototiller.

My Ride
    M3P

Wait till you fly economy with Lufthansa, by far the most cramped experience known to man (I'm 6'2"). Last flight I flew with them on economy, the guy next to me had already sat down (no clue how he beat me as I had priority boarding) and had both his arms over both arm rests on either side. I mean, he wasn't doing it on purpose, it's just that the seats are that cramped and if you have any upper body width, it's game over. I needed to sleep, so what option do I have with his arm in 1/3 of my seat? I cuddled up to his arm. After 20 mins, I won the gay-off, and he found an empty seat elsewhere and moved. Bam, instant free upgrade for me. So yea, $500 to not play the gay-off game, I'm so there. Would've paid $1000 haha.
    AHHH. The aicraft Lufthansa uses for FRA-BLR's (assuming thats where you were going) economy class seats are 17.1" wide with a 31" pitch. Similar to Emirates (im 6'0 but much moar fatter than you). Was lucky to to be next to my tiny girlfriend and took her arm rest hahaha.

I never win a Gay-Off Maybe I'll have to up my game and bat my eyes on top of rubbing arms.

My Ride
    NC1

lol!!!!

And yes raj masta knows best, always. Change Ask Leo to Ask Raj and maybe as a team beyonders can take turns with contributions lol

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Name:  355A99EE-FC99-4962-9E74-11A1A84F1FF1.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  23.8 KB

Had to document the gay-off win. Was going to selfie the actual gay-off but thought that would be inappropriate.

You can’t win em all. I lost this one. Guy was 1/2 way into my seat, and that one was premium economy I think? Cuddled with him for free. Felt so used.

Name:  16EB2933-B195-4D19-83AE-1D29300DB490.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  68.6 KB

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I fly in/out of YYC at least once a month and will be setting a new personal record for longest flight at the end of this month. Up to now the longest flight I've taken was San Francisco to Hong Kong, which clocked in at 14 and a half hours. The flight I will be on tops that by two and a half hours - a 17 hour flight from San Francisco to Singapore . I'd get a free upgrade to premium economy at least if I was flying with a Skyteam airline, but this flight will be with United as I was enticed by the low fares that they were offering to Singapore following the recent launch of their non-stop service to Singapore from SFO and LAX. Cheapest upgrade to business class for just one trans-pacific segment will cost more than 4 times what I paid for the entire roundtrip ticket, so I'm prepared to suffer (I think...) I just load up my iPad with videos to watch until I fall asleep...

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    And I paid $297CAD for a direct economy flight to London for May 6th

That money can be spent on so much more since it's a night flight anyways, will go to the doc get a couple xanax and sleep and be rested when i wake up in London @ 11am...
    I guess it’s all comes down to personal preference.

It’s like driving a Kia or a Mercedes. They both do the exact same thing - get you from A to B but one “feels” better doing it.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I guess if I made "fuck you" money, then why not. But since I make "I'm fucked" money, cattle-class it is. Wife got laid off today. Premium economy? In my dreams!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Sorry to hear that...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast