Quantcast
Mazda 3 resonating sound - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mazda 3 resonating sound

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Default Mazda 3 resonating sound

Hey all,

So I was driving yesterday morning and I noticed a bit of a hum coming from my vehicle. I can't really discribe it, so i'm attaching a youtube video where you can hear it. It doesn't sound like it is metal on metal, more of a vibration that is causing a resonating sound.

https://youtu.be/JTjD4meyA60

Issue starts when I'm at about 20 km/h and gets louder and higher in pitch as I get faster. The issue persists even as I push the clutch in and let it coast, so I don't think it has anything to do with the gearing. It also dosn't matter what gear I'm in, it keeps consistant. As I slow back down, it also starts to drop in pitch. Kindof like knobby tires on dry pavement, but I'm not running knobby tires.

Windows down vs windows up has no effect, but it also does not make the sound more pronounced when the windows are down. Not sure if it is audiable from someone standing on the street as I pass. It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the cabin, but I'm not 100%. It is audiable from the passenger side as well. Had the stereo off, fan/blower off.

Washed the car to see if it was dirt and debris that was causing the sound, but it is still happening. I did not take the wheel off, mostly because I don't really have a good place to do that. About a month ago I heard a metal on metal sound (not brake related) coming from the left side, but that got cleared up after I washed the wheel well, I think there was some rocks that got in where they shouldn't have.

I realize that my "Check Oil" light comes on intermitantly. I'm 80% sure it's not related, and i'm also 80% sure that it's flashing because corrosion around the oil pressure sensor. Oil levels seem to be fine, car drives like it's supposed to. I haven't gotten around to changing the sensor because it's cold, and it requires and oil change when it's done, so I'm going to do them at the same time. I change my oil on average every 6 months (spring and fall) regardless of KM driven. Also, my clutch pedal has a creeky sound when it's pressed in, thats just not high on my list of things that I need to deal with right now.

I'll probably take it in next week to get looked at, I don't need it over the weekend so I can kindof tinker with it and see what I can find. I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea of what It might be? Thanks in advance!

2007 Mazda 3
    No mods, bone stock

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Owned 3 if this gen before, a common problem that's easy to fix is the engine mounts... If you pop the hood you'll the one on top, check to see if it's leak all it's grease out of it... If it has, chances are it's that. I really can't remember the sound it makes though cuz this was almost 10 years ago but it did get louder the higher the load on the engine.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

very likely its just a heat shield hanging on the exhaust.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    G37X

Might be a wheel bearing? I'd be a bit more concerned about the oil light than you are though.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    Owned 3 if this gen before, a common problem that's easy to fix is the engine mounts... If you pop the hood you'll the one on top, check to see if it's leak all it's grease out of it... If it has, chances are it's that. I really can't remember the sound it makes though cuz this was almost 10 years ago but it did get louder the higher the load on the engine.
    I'll pop the hood and see if there is anything that looks like it could be leaking. I'll need to a little research to see what it's supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    very likely its just a heat shield hanging on the exhaust.
    I'll get under the car on the weekend and see what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by relyt92 View Post
    Might be a wheel bearing? I'd be a bit more concerned about the oil light than you are though.
    The oil light will be sorted pretty quick, I just need a warmer/less snowy day to get it acomplished. You are right that I should do it sooner than later. A wheel bearing was a thought that I also had, but I thought that it would produce a more metalic sound. That is a good thing to look in to though

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I appreciate it. The part that confuses me the most is why it doesn't get louder with my window open, as all of the suggestions point to things obviously outside of the cabin. Maybe that is my own correlation though, and it's not founded on any actual science haha.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

A wheel bearing will make a low rumbling sound. It will change depending on which way to turn (loading and unloading the bearing). If it changes when you weave back and forth, it's most likely the bearing. Good luck!!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    A wheel bearing will make a low rumbling sound. It will change depending on which way to turn (loading and unloading the bearing). If it changes when you weave back and forth, it's most likely the bearing. Good luck!!
    I don't believe that the sound changes as my wheel moves left to right. The second portion of the video I slow to take a bit of a turn and speed up out of the turn and I don't think the sound changes at all. If it does, I don't hear it. I'll check that when I'm home today. Didn't drive because I really don't feel like paying more money than I have to if something actually breaks on me.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    I don't believe that the sound changes as my wheel moves left to right. The second portion of the video I slow to take a bit of a turn and speed up out of the turn and I don't think the sound changes at all. If it does, I don't hear it. I'll check that when I'm home today. Didn't drive because I really don't feel like paying more money than I have to if something actually breaks on me.
    Doesn't quite sound like a bearing to me, but that was my first thought too. Sometimes you really need to load up one side AND the other to notice it. When it was going in my Jeep, I had to basically almost run myself off the road to really hear the difference properly.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Doesn't quite sound like a bearing to me, but that was my first thought too. Sometimes you really need to load up one side AND the other to notice it. When it was going in my Jeep, I had to basically almost run myself off the road to really hear the difference properly.
    I'll probably take it to a wide open parking lot tomorow close to my place, weave around a bit and see what it sounds like. Thanks

My Ride

Update.

Took it to Mazda today. They seem to agree that it's probably the wheel bearing. Will call the mechanic that I usually deal with on Monday when he's open and see what his cost is. Mazda will do it for ~440$ if it's just the one side, which I suspect it is.

Thank you all for your help!

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Update.

Took it to Mazda today. They seem to agree that it's probably the wheel bearing. Will call the mechanic that I usually deal with on Monday when he's open and see what his cost is. Mazda will do it for ~440$ if it's just the one side, which I suspect it is.

Thank you all for your help!
    front? the front sucks, has to get pressed in by a shop, i did mine last summer, took off the knuckle and took t and the bearing to a shop and they pressed it for me for like $50... definitely worth letting the shop do it for $400, its a shit job
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    front? the front sucks, has to get pressed in by a shop, i did mine last summer, took off the knuckle and took t and the bearing to a shop and they pressed it for me for like $50... definitely worth letting the shop do it for $400, its a shit job
    Yeah Front. I don't really have the room to do more than an Oil change on my driveway at this point, my garage is full of other things. It's something I'd rather let the shop handle for sure. The only reason I'll be calling the mechanic I usually deal with is just history together at this point, he's seen the car since it was pretty much new and he sometimes ends up being cheaper than Dealer. Plus, while the car is up getting that done I'll get the oil sensor done too, thats a whole 12$ + oil change so I don't have to do it myself in the spring.

My Ride

UPDATE!

So everyone in this thread was actually right in things that It could be. Front drivers side wheel bearing (~440$), as well as a cracked engine mount (~200$). Well done guys. They also said I need new rear springs, but that will be a garage project when I change my tires from winters to summers, I can't afford the whole thing right now.

Regarding Oil light, I guess the sensor is ok, but she was down oil. That tells me that A) I was doing it wrong when I was checking my oil and B) that it's either leaking or burning oil. I'll have to look into those things this summer.

Thanks again for your help guys!

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Good to hear... Brings back memories of changing the engine mount outside in minutes 10 and snowing cuz I didn't have a garage back in the day... Luckily it was super easy to do and not too expensive, when I first heard the sound I thought for sure my engine was toast, thank God for the internet.

As for the oil light, my sister had the same thing on her Mazda 6 but she's a typical woman who didn't even check her oil ever OR notice the puddle of oil on the ground of her condo parking spot lol

My Ride

Ahhh oh no. I don't have enough room in the garage to do work right now unfortunately. Thats a project for the spring.

I guess my car might be burning oil. There are no leaks that anyone could find. But it's also 6 months from my last oil change next month, so it could just be coming to the time to change the oil. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but it got topped up.

Ahhh oh no. I don't have enough room in the garage to do work right now unfortunately. Thats a project for the spring.

I guess my car might be burning oil. There are no leaks that anyone could find. But it's also 6 months from my last oil change next month, so it could just be coming to the time to change the oil. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but it got topped up.
    Sent you a PM about the mount and bearings. Don’t spend that kind of money on the mount replacement as it’s a very simple 20 minute driveway project with a $50 part.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.