Quantcast
Motorcycle parking in the core - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Motorcycle parking in the core

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Default Motorcycle parking in the core

Hey all,

Tried to search for a similar thread, but most of them were older so I'm sure things have changed. Also not 100% I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm in the running for a position downtown for the summer. With that, I would love to do the commute in on the motorcycle as much as possible rather than transit/car if I can. Mostly because I won't be a full time student in the summer, so I don't get a uPass.

I know there is street parking scattered around downtown. I'll be hopefully working in a building by city hall, but I don't mind walking from spots. I'm not looking for free parking, because I know there really isn't any. I'm just looking for people's experiences while riding into downtown in the summer months, where they park, prices, etc.

Thanks in advance all.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I only did it once when I was working at the Shell Tower last summer. There was some parking there about 2 blocks north west. The problem that I ran into was someone parked too close to my bike and I had to get it out of the spot while leaning otherwise our handle bars would have hit. Kind of a douche move on their part, but it wasn't too bad. Was no where near as expensive as parking the car downtown.

Good luck!!

My Ride
    06 S2000

If you're looking day to day, just look for any $8/day zone. They're all posted on the CPA site, with locations and dates.
    Monthly parking is cheaper. Anywhere from $100-$120+/month, depending on lot/location.

Gotta do your research and decide what's worth it to you. Even at $8/day it's still more than 2x transit ticket, let alone a monthly bus pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I park in an Impark lot on 12th and 1st SE. $150/month and you get a whole parking spot. I drive in the winter and ride in the summer. Its pretty close to city hall if this fits your budget. There seems to be lots of spots available

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    If you're looking day to day...
    Great points. All signs point to it being 120$ a month with Calgary Parking, which is cheaper than 8$ a day for 4 ish weeks in a month. The major reason I want to be riding in is that after working I'll be going to the university most nights, so thats three train tickets per day 4 days a week, and two on fridays = 182$ ish for two months, dropping once classes are over. Monthly passes are around 100 so thats a possible option that I keep forgetting about.

Quote Originally Posted by kirberman View Post
    I park in an Impark lot on 12th and 1st SE. $150/month and you get a whole parking spot. I drive in the winter and ride in the summer. Its pretty close to city hall if this fits your budget. There seems to be lots of spots available
    I am also ok with that area of the beltline, I kindof forgot how close that was. I wonder what the waiting list for those looks like, I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

If you're looking day to day, just look for any $8/day zone. They're all posted on the CPA site, with locations and dates.
    Monthly parking is cheaper. Anywhere from $100-$120+/month, depending on lot/location.

Gotta do your research and decide what's worth it to you. Even at $8/day it's still more than 2x transit ticket, let alone a monthly bus pass.
    Not quite, transit tickets are up to $3.30, and you’ll need two (there and back) so you’re looking at $6.60/day, or $103/mo for a monthly pass. So yea you’re over the cost of transit when you factor in gas, insurance and maintenance. But not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Not quite, transit tickets are up to $3.30, and you’ll need two (there and back) so you’re looking at $6.60/day, or $103/mo for a monthly pass. So yea you’re over the cost of transit when you factor in gas, insurance and maintenance. But not by much.
    But convenience, time and fun?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I'll need three for four days out of 5: South to work, work to university, university to home. I'll be at the university longer than the hour and a half that the train ticket is valid. You are right that the monthly pass is $103, and that really isn't horrible. There really isn't much of a cost difference, but it's 100% a convenience thing. It takes me just over an hour to get to university right now on the train as an example. It takes me 30-45 minutes by car depending on traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    But convenience, time and fun?
    For the extra 20$ ish, not dealing with people on transit, or transit in general, this is exactly the reason I'm leaning so hard to riding.
    Last edited by 300havoc; 03-17-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    I'll need three for four days out of 5: South to work, work to university, university to home. I'll be at the university longer than the hour and a half that the train ticket is valid. You are right that the monthly pass is $103, and that really isn't horrible. There really isn't much of a cost difference, but it's 100% a convenience thing. It takes me just over an hour to get to university right now on the train as an example. It takes me 30-45 minutes by car depending on traffic.

For the extra 20$ ish, not dealing with people on transit, or transit in general, this is exactly the reason I'm leaning so hard to riding.
    Yea I totally agree, the cost difference is small enough that if I had a bike I’d probably ride downtown as well.

My Ride

The Impark website sucks so hard. I can't find a lot at $150/month, most seem to start at $200 and go up from there. Seems to already be a waitlist for motorcycle specific stalls, which really doesn't surprise me. Calgary Parking also has a waitlist, but it's kind of interesting that it tells me where ish on the waitlist I would be. For Arts Commons as an example, it says that I would be among the top 5 in the list, where as another one says I'd be among the top 23. That is super handy if anyone else is looking.

I put myself on the waitlist for Arts Commons and the Convention centre. They both say among top 5 in waiting list, so I'm hoping they will move. I might try harder to find an impart lot if I can find a good deal. I'm sure I can take myself off the list at any time. Thank you all for your insights!
    Last edited by 300havoc; 03-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Don't get me wrong. When I worked downtown, I opted to pay for bike parking over transit, for the convenience/fun factor.

I paid $120/month for CPA, at 2nd st and 9th ave. I then moved to the Impark Bankers Hall West parkade, and it was only $100/month. Their site sucks, but I reached out to them directly, as they didn't mention bike parking, but someone had told me it existed, so it may be worth a phone call to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride

Don't get me wrong. When I worked downtown, I opted to pay for bike parking over transit, for the convenience/fun factor.

I paid $120/month for CPA, at 2nd st and 9th ave. I then moved to the Impark Bankers Hall West parkade, and it was only $100/month. Their site sucks, but I reached out to them directly, as they didn't mention bike parking, but someone had told me it existed, so it may be worth a phone call to figure it out.
    Calling is a good call. I'll look into that on Monday. If I can find a better deal then I'm going to obviously jump on it.

My Ride

Holy, I already got an email from Calgary parking that both my preferred lots have a spot open starting in April. I honestly didn't think that the line would move that quick. I need it for May though, not April haha. Anyone want parking for a month?

Oops didn't see this until now. I'm in lot 471 and I'm paying $150. Looks like you already found one. Hopefully you're not paying more

https://lots.impark.com/IMP/en?latln...#details=3,471

My Ride

Oops didn't see this until now. I'm in lot 471 and I'm paying $150. Looks like you already found one. Hopefully you're not paying more

https://lots.impark.com/IMP/en?latln...#details=3,471
    Thanks Kirberman,

The lot site says 200$ but maybe it's different if I called. Calgary parking is 120$ so still cheaper, but 150$ for bike or car may be tempting. I'll probably suck it up and take transit if it isn't bike weather though. Thank you!

Yeah no problem, ride safe!