Quantcast
Anyone driven the Kia Stinger? - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone driven the Kia Stinger?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like reoccurring problems popping up that they can't resolve. Warranty work is a pain, the time involved in dropping off and picking up along with all of the other arguing back and forth isn't something I enjoy.

I am surprised, Kia has upped their game so I expected it to be better quality than this
    Track use + warranty is a can of worms with ANY brand. Plus if it's a rattle that's no biggie compared to say injectors or fuel pumps.

All things considered I'd say the Kia fared pretty damn well.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Why would you compare new to used? I mean, might as well get a used Stinger, year old Stinger GT's are in the low 40's.
    I was coming from the point of view if you have $50k to spend on a big hatchback sedan, and don't have a preference for new vs. used.

I can't be the only one that thinks this way haha.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I was coming from the point of view if you have $50k to spend on a big hatchback sedan, and don't have a preference for new vs. used.

I can't be the only one that thinks this way haha.
    Another thing for that comparison.. are you paying cash? Heloc? Finance? Lease? That would make a big difference..

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Wow, what the hell happened to Acura?? I remember when they were solidly in the top 3 with Lexus and Toyota.
    The ZF Transmission happened. Or at least that's my guess

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

best place is an owners forum .....

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Bump-ish

So I went and drove a 2020 Stinger GT Limited last night and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. Price point is $53K, nicer interior than the $85K Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT I can't stop looking at. This thing had tons and tons of power, 5 year / 100,000 KM bumper to bumper warranty and a look that's unique enough to not blend in with every other car on the road. All the tech features you can think of and a very solid sound system. I just wish the exhaust note was a little meaner.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 09-19-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Bump-ish

So I went and drove a 2020 Stinger GT Limited last night and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. Price point is $53K, nicer interior than the $85K Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT I can't stop looking at. This things had tons and tons of power, 5 year / 100,000 KM bumper to bumper warranty and a look that's unique enough to not blend in with every other car on the road. All the tech features you can think of and a very solid sound system. I just wish the exhaust note was a little meaner.
    There's a lot to like about them. I've always maintained the current higher-end Hyundai and Kia interiors are as good or better than some of the Japanese and German competition. Everything is tight, feels like it should, nothing rattles, etc.

The only issue I have with them is the extremely low residual values - after 4 years, Kia is saying your $53K car is only worth $18K. Lease is ~$770/mo which is really high - you can lease an Audi S4 Technik for about $50-75/mo more. I imagine the C43 is similar. Based on that, I think resale will be quite poor on them as well if you financed instead.

Can't argue the initial value proposition at MSRP, but I feel like you can get a better car for hardly any more money, at least from a lease perspective.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Kia is saying your $53K car is only worth $18K.
    I'm looking forward to buying one of those in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I'm looking forward to buying one of those in 3 years.
    Totally, between the Stinger and the G70, I think they will be absolute bargains on the used market. You'll have 1-2 years of warranty left on it too.

It's getting better I think, but overall people still have a fairly poor market impression of Kia/Hyundai and they just don't hold their value. Their SUVs are better for that though.

It's disheartening to see the manufacturer value their own cars so low after such a short time, but if they aren't realistic, what you end up with is a situation like GM got themselves into where nobody bought out leases because the residuals were artificially inflated to way above market value, and so they took a bath on every vehicle.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 09-19-2019 at 11:26 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

With the long warranty I think people will be looking to finance and keep longer. Better value in that scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    There's a lot to like about them. I've always maintained the current higher-end Hyundai and Kia interiors are as good or better than some of the Japanese and German competition. Everything is tight, feels like it should, nothing rattles, etc.

The only issue I have with them is the extremely low residual values - after 4 years, Kia is saying your $53K car is only worth $18K. Lease is ~$770/mo which is really high - you can lease an Audi S4 Technik for about $50-75/mo more. I imagine the C43 is similar. Based on that, I think resale will be quite poor on them as well if you financed instead.

Can't argue the initial value proposition at MSRP, but I feel like you can get a better car for hardly any more money, at least from a lease perspective.
    At the same time I've been looking at the S5 Sportback and for the increase in price ($25Kish) and the shorter warranty I just can't get there. I'm not looking at lease rates so that doesn't change anything in my particular situation. I don't know much about BMW or MB but I don't think they have anything with 0-60 time under 5 seconds, seating for four / five plus hockey gear for anywhere near $53k??? Maybe I'm missing something?

At the same time I've been looking at the S5 Sportback and for the increase in price ($25Kish) and the shorter warranty I just can't get there. I'm not looking at lease rates so that doesn't change anything in my particular situation. I don't know much about BMW or MB but I don't think they have anything with 0-60 time under 5 seconds, seating for four / five plus hockey gear for anywhere near $53k??? Maybe I'm missing something?
    I don't think you're missing anything. You're right, you won't find anything that matches the Kia's MSRP with a sub 5 second 0-60 time and similar size from the Germans (though a regular A4 with the 2.0T goes 0-60 in 5.2sec which is pretty close). The similar cars from Audi, BMW, and MB are the S4/S5/340i/C43 AMG, etc. Looking at total cost of ownership though, either lease or finance, they are surprisingly comparable because the higher MSRPs are largely offset by better residual/future values. It's all just a spreadsheet at the end of the day I think a 2-3 year old Stinger would be phenomenal value if you aren't looking to lease - let someone else take the huge hit on value, and you still get to enjoy 2-3 years of warranty remaining.

My Ride
    changes every year

Take a look at a BMW 535 GT that is a couple years old. It's a wierd looking car, but would fit that criteria.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Baby steps... moving away from the domestics is a HUGE accomplishment Bill

We’ll get you in the total cost of ownership train eventually!

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Honestly, there isn't anything else that directly compares with the Stinger on a $$$ basis. The S5 Sportback is the closest direct competitor from a power/function POV, and as noted, it's significantly more expensive.

I've had a couple of Kias. Both were fine cars, but the interiors and refinement were notably below Japanese and European offerings. On-par with Ford/GM.

I'm curious to see how they are now. I haven't driven a G70 yet and I don't want to until I'm in the market for a car... lol.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Take a look at a BMW 535 GT that is a couple years old. It's a wierd looking car, but would fit that criteria.
    Super not interested in owning anything German out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Baby steps... moving away from the domestics is a HUGE accomplishment Bill

We’ll get you in the total cost of ownership train eventually!
    I've got no particular attachment to domestic product, wife currently drives a Hyundai, before that were two Hondas. I've owned numerous Nissan products over the years and truth be told if Acura, Infiniti or Lexus built anything with balls that wasn't touching six figures (and was useful as a family-ish vehicle) I would be all over it.

Trust me, the financial side of my brain wishes I could be content with a used Camry as basic transportation...but like most of us on here if that's what I was forced to drive I'd be looking for a cement wall to run straight into.

My Ride
    changes every year

Super not interested in owning anything German out of warranty.
    You can always buy an extended warranty that covers everything. Either way, you will eventually own something outside of warranty

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Trust me, the financial side of my brain wishes I could be content with a used Camry as basic transportation...but like most of us on here if that's what I was forced to drive I'd be looking for a cement wall to run straight into.
    Yea I hate this Fusion. I hate it. I miss my A3.

But you gotta pay when businesses fail... lol. Lesson fucking learned.

My Ride
    This and that.

I am up in High Level for a couple of days for a trial and the rental I got is a brand new Fusion with a 1000 kms. I gotta say, it literally does everything, has every single option that any other high end German vehicle out there does and has. It likely costs peanuts compared to them and it actually drives quite nice as well. I drove it less than a 100 clicks so clearly I am not an expert on the subject but I was quite blown away by the features and quality you can get these days from a car that costs like what $30K?
    Last edited by shakalaka; 09-19-2019 at 10:07 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ the quality after 4-5 years is the real question. If it has a DI engine for eg. expect that to be the usual intake debacle - unless Ford has changed their injection method to a hybrid setup like Toyota.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast