Quantcast
Anyone driven the Kia Stinger? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 320

Thread: Anyone driven the Kia Stinger?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Anyone driven the Kia Stinger?

    Have seen a few of these around, and had a look at the Auto Show this weekend. For $44k, it looks like a really nice package, decent value and good performance. Not my normal part of the market, but I know a bunch of you beyond folks are into the "four door coupe" style, so what do you say, is this car cool, lame, awesome, or what? I really like the look from the B-pillar forward, but like all cars of this type, the ass end looks weird. I'd prefer it as a wagon.

    Pic, just because I like pics, not suspecting anyone hasn't seen one yet.
    2018-bmw-430i-gran-coupe-vs-2018-kia-stinger-gt.jpg
    260679.jpg
    Stupid people focus on the math, smart people focus on the information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,226
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    See I disagree, 44 seems like a lot to me.

    For that money you can get a 6 litre Camaro pushing 500 hp?

    It’s ok looking but not crazy good value.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-17-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Like I say, it's not my market, but it seems on paper more compelling than a nicely equipped Accord for $35k. Presumably someone on beyond has actually cross-shopped in this segment and can give a more informed answer than I can. Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, but I searched and didn't see one.
    Stupid people focus on the math, smart people focus on the information.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s ok looking but not crazy good value.
    Your opinion is contrary to numerous auto magazines/reviewers that feel the Stinger is something the German's ought to be worrying about.

    Consider this: a full-load Audi A3 costs more than a full-load Stinger. Stinger has a nicer interior, more zoom zoom.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,226
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I just don’t find it very appealing.

    44k is a lot of money for any car. A3’s being shit value doesn’t change that.

    Overall I think bmw and Audi currently charge crack money for what their cars are.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,337
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    44k is a lot of money for any car. A3’s being shit value doesn’t change that.
    I'm not advocating that the Stinger is great (I haven't driven one). I disagree with your sentiments re: value.

    $44k is not a lot of money for a car these days. That kind of money gets you a base IS200t, Infiniti, etc. Shit, you can push a Jeep Cherokee to nearly $42k.

    On the value play, Kia is doing here what they've always done: pack a bunch of shit into the car and charge way less than what a comparable package from Europe, Japan, or North America would charge. Textbook Kia.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Aspen
    My Ride
    F-Sport
    Posts
    10,278
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Looks legit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,864
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I like that this car exists. Will I buy one? Highly unlikely, but hopefully it encourages more offerings with good looks, good driving dynamics etc. The only reasons I won't consider this is because it will depreciate like a rock, and I have low confidence in build quality and reliability of it (may be unfounded, but it's the way I feel). Aside from that, it checks all the boxes from what I want in a car.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I think the rest of the KIA lineup is good reliability. Isn't it?
    Stupid people focus on the math, smart people focus on the information.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,794
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:57 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,864
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An Audi A3 starts at ~32K CAD, did you mean the S3?

    That starts at around ~47K CAD... which is in between the 44K CAD and 49K CAD trim Kia.

    So using these two articles from C&D as a source:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review
    http://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/201...t-test-review/

    0-60 Performance
    S3: 4.4s
    Kia: 4.8s

    Quarter Mile:
    S3: Standing -mile: 12.9 sec
    Kia: 13.3 sec @ 106.9 mph

    Skidpad:
    S3: 0.92g (the 2015 one, the updated one is probably better)
    Kia: 0.85 g

    Curb Weight:
    S3: 3300 lb
    Kia: 4,005 lb (52/48%)

    City Mileage (From Audi & Kia)
    S3: 10.6 l/100km
    Kia: 12.7/100km

    Highway Mileage (From Audi & Kia)
    S3: 8.3 l/100km
    Kia: 9.6 l/100km

    Basically the Kia is fatter and slower. It is also considerably worse on fuel consumption, but you can put regular in it (decreases the horsepower a bit to 368hp though), so cost wise it comes out in the wash. Did I mention it is a 44K Kia? Hmmmmm

    I also kind of doubt it is as nice inside as the virtual cockpit interior which is standard on the S3 now, but I haven't seen them both up close yet so I can't really comment on it too much at this point.
    That comparison is ridiculous, the only similar thing about those cars is price. The S3 is smaller in every dimension (except height). The stinger is ~15 inches longer (both body and wheelbase). Cargo volume is double in the stinger than in the S3. If you want to compare the stinger to an Audi, use the A7. Much closer comparison as far as the numbers go. I bet less than 1% of the people spending $45k on a new car would cross shop the stinger with an S3.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    Benzo
    Posts
    4,514
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    My brother in law in San Fran picked one up a couple of weeks ago and swears by it. Every video and review I have watched and read can't stop raving about it. I don't think it's necessarily something that the big German's need to worry about per se but I definitely see it as one that catapults Kia onto the next level sort of. I see it pretty much same as my 440 Gran Coupe with M Performance I and II packages in terms of HP numbers etc and the S5 Sportback. It almost costs $30K or more less than both of those but provides similar usability and performance. I will be in SF next month for a few days and will get to drive it around and form actual personal opinions about it at that time.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 03-17-2018 at 07:18 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,494
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Spent some time around it at the auto show on Thursday and Friday night. The switchgear and buttons are average in my opinion, some cheap plastics in places like the side seat panels. Panel gaps are alright, not the best not the worst for sure. Alloy spare wheel is a nice touch but it’s not full-size. Overall couldn’t ever see myself buying one over most “competitors” to that car.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,832
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I thought that comparison was odd.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Overall couldn’t ever see myself buying one over most “competitors” to that car.
    what do you see as close competitors to this product?
    Stupid people focus on the math, smart people focus on the information.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    KTM
    Posts
    857
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    My main concern would be residual. I think there would be better value in other brands even if this is a great car......
    Last edited by craigcd; 03-17-2018 at 08:10 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    MR2
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Saw this at the Calgary Auto Show just yesterday. Not a huge fan of the styling but the interior quality is a huge step up. If I had to choose a Korean luxury sports sedan though, I would lean more towards the Genesis G class sedans. They were far more impressive

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    'Berta
    My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Kia?... Maybe I'll buy one when they depreciate to about 15Gs in a few years... Night not be a bad option.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,494
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought that comparison was odd.

    - - - Updated - - -

    what do you see as close competitors to this product?
    A4, 3 series, C Class, S60, ATS.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    KTM
    Posts
    857
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kia?... Maybe I'll buy one when they depreciate to about 15Gs in a few years... Night not be a bad option.
    Correct. Then 5K a few years later.....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See I disagree, 44 seems like a lot to me.

    For that money you can get a 6 litre Camaro pushing 500 hp?

    It’s ok looking but not crazy good value.
    Sure, but the demographic looking at this kind of car which is a sedan wouldn’t even consider a camaro...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kia GT4 Stinger

    By Gripenfelter in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 44
    Latest Threads: 01-10-2017, 11:34 AM
  2. Anyone work at KIA?

    By eblend in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM
  3. Kia Borrego anyone?

    By citylimits in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM
  4. Kia Forte Revealed (Kia Koup Production Version)

    By Destinova403 in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
  5. Has anyone driven to Toronto?

    By trina in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 05-06-2004, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •