Quantcast
Nukemap - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nukemap

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Nukemap

Was watching some comparison videos on Youtube this morning and stumbled onto this gem:

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Detonating a tsar bomba (50 megatons aka 3333x Hiroshima) in the middle of Calgary would generate thermal radiation out past Strathmore

Just thought I'd share so everyone can despair when nuclear war erupts

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Dude, airburst is one thing

Change it to surface, the wind swept fallout goes into Saskatchistan

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

How come the bombs in the US arsenal are so much smaller than the Russian current arsenal I feel like trump or even bush would love to have the biggest bomb.

I see that even the biggest bomb dropped on Montana at surface wouldnt come close to affecting us directly in Calgary.

My Ride
    is broken

Because the Russians are fucking crazy when it comes to biggest dick competitions. Go look up Novaya Zemlya and see how much land they blew up in the name of dick enlargement.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because the Russians are fucking crazy when it comes to biggest dick competitions. Go look up Novaya Zemlya and see how much land they blew up in the name of dick enlargement.
    Yeah but it clearly works. Putin has biggest peenor in world.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    How come the bombs in the US arsenal are so much smaller than the Russian current arsenal I feel like trump or even bush would love to have the biggest bomb.

I see that even the biggest bomb dropped on Montana at surface wouldnt come close to affecting us directly in Calgary.
    Nukes have a diminishing return the bigger you go. i.e. 4 x 1MT warheads will give you more destruction than 1 x 4MT warhead. You can also miss with three of them and still do a whole lot of damage. So more nukes is better than the same payload in bigger nukes.

US also believed they would need more tactical nuclear warheads in case of Soviet ground invasions of Western Europe and elsewhere. Enough tactical nukes can be used for mass destruction anyway so it gave their nuclear arsenal a lot of versatility while the Soviets seemed to care more about the size of the boom (and for a while didn't have the same precision capability as US weapons, so the bigger boom meant they didn't need to be as accurate).

But maybe the biggest reason was that originally you'd need a slow, very visible bomber to drop a larger nuclear bomb. As radar and missiles became better, the idea of using strategic bombers for nuclear weapon delivery became pretty outdated. But even as missile technology became better to accommodate those larger warheads you're still better off with more, smaller warheads. A single trident missile can carry 12 MIRVs @ 455KT a pop. 12 targets at that payload has a much greater chance of success than a single 5MT ICBM.

But Trump wants more smaller nukes anyway. Presumably so that his hands look bigger by comparison.