Quantcast
Calgary micro-brewery and brewpub MEGA THREAD - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary micro-brewery and brewpub MEGA THREAD

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Calgary micro-brewery and brewpub MEGA THREAD

Swerve Magazine recently had an article listing a bunch of microbreweries, and I was inspired.
    Article about food clusters here: http://calgaryherald.com/life/swerve...ew-of-the-city

So, I thought this thread could be a place to discuss the various Calgary breweries. Here's a list compiled and sorted from the article in Swerve Magazine. I'd love is someone could do restaurant reviews of each place (if applicable). From the various websites, it's not actually clear if each place even serves food, although I think if they do tastings, there's some kind of provincial law that says they have to.

Barley Hat (North cluster)
    Mihas Brewing / Minhas Pizza Brew
    Zero Issue Brewing
    Citizen Brewing
    Dandy Brewing COmpany
    Elite Brewing and Cidery
    Red Bison Brewery
    Common Crown Brewing Co.
    Tool Shed Brewing Company

Barley Belt (Ingelwood, Ramsey, Manchester, Highfield)

Village Brewery
    Annex Ale
    Banded Peak Brewing
    Cold Garden Beverage COmpany
    High Line Brewing
    Paddys Brewbecue

Barley Boot (Foothills Industrial)
    Boiling Oar Brewing Company
    Big Rock Brewery
    Good Mood Brewery Inc.

Other areas:
    Wild Rose
    Brewster's
    Last Best
    Caravel
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

What no Wild Rose?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Paddys Barbecue & Brewery in the Barley Belt (Ingelwood, Ramsey, Manchester, Highfield)

https://paddysbrewbecue.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So, I thought this thread could be a place to discuss the various Calgary breweries. Here's a list compiled and sorted from the article in Swerve Magazine. I'd love is someone could do restaurant reviews of each place (if applicable). From the various websites, it's not actually clear if each place even serves food, although I think if they do tastings, there's some kind of provincial law that says they have to.
    Most places serve "food" because as you stated they legally have to which means usually it's something that doesn't require any cooking or prep. So most places will have like pretzels, chips, etc... I don't really think you want to be going to any of the breweries with food in mind. You're there to drink...

Personal favorite on the list above is Dandy Brewing. Really like their beer selection and they make some really interesting traditional style sour beers which is very tricky to do brew wise. It's a small place though so it can be quite cramped(20 people and it's standing room only) but excellent beer and nice staff. Since they are a micro brewery you typically get different things on tap every few weeks as they finish off the current kegs. If you go my personal favorites are the Wild Sour and the T2E IPA. Second to Dandy would have to be Cold Garden in my books.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Paddys Barbecue & Brewery in the Barley Belt (Ingelwood, Ramsey, Manchester, Highfield)

https://paddysbrewbecue.com/
    The original lost wasn't exhaustive, I'll add those plus two other I remembered.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone who can review any if these places, the beers they make or the food they serve it would fit in well in this thread.

Citizen has a smallish menu but the burgers are pretty good, so you can go there and have a real meal, so that's nice.

My Ride
    01 i30

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Most places serve "food" because as you stated they legally have to which means usually it's something that doesn't require any cooking or prep. So most places will have like pretzels, chips, etc... I don't really think you want to be going to any of the breweries with food in mind. You're there to drink...

Personal favorite on the list above is Dandy Brewing. Really like their beer selection and they make some really interesting traditional style sour beers which is very tricky to do brew wise. It's a small place though so it can be quite cramped(20 people and it's standing room only) but excellent beer and nice staff. Since they are a micro brewery you typically get different things on tap every few weeks as they finish off the current kegs. If you go my personal favorites are the Wild Sour and the T2E IPA. Second to Dandy would have to be Cold Garden in my books.
    I really enjoy Dandy also. Their sour beers are good, but I can only have them once and a while. I think they are moving a new spot in Inglewood soon.

Legend 7 are opening soon or have in the Barley Belt.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Goat locker is supposed to be opening up in Calgary soon. Right now they have thier brewing done for them out in BC.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Zero Issue is pretty good, not my fav in town but their Nemesis IPA is really good. Chill tap room, few board games available for game play, and free popcorn.

Haven't been to Dandy since last year, small tap room but some good beers.

Common Crown has a very nice tap room, good amount of seating. Good beers, enjoyed everything I tried on the flight I had. Gave us a free sleeve of a wheat beer they were going to have available soon and it was very very tasty. They sell bags of chips, snacks and pepperoni sticks.

Cold Garden is pretty sweet, tons of seating, allowed to bring your dogs inside, $5 for a pint, tried their blonde and IPA to which both were great, their cappuccino porter is hella good. They offer snacks for donation, you go up and fill a bowl of chips/corn nuts/whatever they got and you donate 2 bucks or whatever you want.

Village...my go to for beers, love their blonde, wit and pale ale. Nice tap room, fun tour, I'm sure lots of folks on here have checked them out.

Last Best Brewing http://lastbestbrewing.com/ has a full restaurant, lots of seating and good food. In addition to beers, they're also making spirits now. They're project this year is making a different Gin each week. https://www.instagram.com/gincrazeyyc/

My Ride
    06 WRX

I've been to a lot of the new breweries. My personal slant is towards interesting, flavourful beers. I like where our local market is heading, but the quality still has a long ways to go compared to mature markets (the entire West Coast of Canada and the US). I have done a few taproom-hopping nights via Uber through both the Barley Belt and the Beermuda Triangle (hadn't heard Barley Hat before), and they've been a blast. Here are my thoughts on the new-er breweries:

The Good
    Dandy - My favourite of the local breweries. Tiny current spot, but I can't wait until their big new facility opens. Their beers I've had have all been good to me, and their experimental stuff at the taproom was really impressive. Especially impressed by the sours.

Banded Peak - I wasn't excited about this brewery when they were announced, as it seemed they were focusing on fairly boring styles when they were announced, but they've done well in producing good beer without any off-flavouring (that I've experienced). And what they're producing is more interesting than I expected. One of the better of the new breweries, and I'll go back for sure. Taproom is a little less people friendly, but I enjoyed it.

Cold Garden - I think the beer is good, but not great, but the location, atmosphere and the prices ($5 pints) make this one of my favourite breweries in the city. I've been many times, and will be back again soon. As a bonus, Madison's, the nacho place, is just around the corner for food, and there are a couple of other breweries very close (Highlight and soon the Brewcade).

High Line Brewing - Close to Cold Garden in a cool spot with a handful of board games. I enjoyed what they were doing with the beer and want to make my way back soon.

Last Best - Solid execution and good food with a good amount of TV's. Have been many times, and always enjoyed it.

Needs Revisiting
    Annex - Love the types of beers they're producing and I dig the taproom, but in execution I've been a little disappointed. None of their beers have blown me away in terms of balance of flavour, but because I like what they're trying to do, I'll keep giving them a shot.

Zero Issue Brewing - I was here, but it was late in the night and barely survived. Generally positively reviewed. I remember liking the space.

Citizen - I ate here, and enjoyed the food, but was in bad shape.

Common Crown - I enjoyed the space, but the beer was a little boring. I seem to remember they were largely basic styles, and nothing really stood out to me as good here.

Trolley 5 - I took some friends here and the food was good. Only had a beer with lunch, but I enjoyed it. Great place for 17th.

Disappointing
    Half Hitch (Cochrane) - I dumped half of the 6 pack sampler down the drain. I know I got a bad batch (of 3 different beers). Hopefully they've improved in the last 1.5 years.

Minhas - Not new, but in case anybody didn't know, they stink.

EDIT: Oh, and I am eagerly awaiting for Edmonton's Blind Enthusiasm to get distribution down here. It is funded by the guy that sold a giant video game company to EA and he's going full tilt into the beer industry (hence blind enthusiasm). His dedicated sour facility is being run by a brewer that has worked at Cantillon (legendary Belgian lambic brewer), and I seem to recall the brewmaster at their traditional brewery has an impressive background as well.
    Last edited by tenth; 04-06-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Village...my go to for beers, love their blonde, wit and pale ale.
    Hell yes. Widely available, tastes great. The blonde is unbelievable. I've made a lot of fans of their beers.

My Ride
    Lariat

Went to Annex the other day for the first time. Cool little spot. Its only a few blocks from work so I might be hitting it up more after work once the weather gets nicer. I liked the vibe and the sampler of beers I got were all quite tasty.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thoughts on the "Barley Belt" name and the aquisition of Banded Peak by Labatt?
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...beer-1.5457831
    Quote Originally Posted by CBC News February 10, 2020
    Battle brews over 'Barley Belt' trademark after Labatt buys Calgary craft brewery
    'It's messy, it's ugly, and it's very much like a nasty divorce'

Sounds like some bitter rivals to me.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Sounds like some bitter rivals to me.
    How many IBU?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Anything can be resolved by a vicious cock fight. Beer sales for spectators = everybody wins!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Anyone try Bitter Sitters at the old Studio 54?

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Anyone try Bitter Sitters at the old Studio 54?
    Is it even open yet?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What kind of a list is this without Eighty Eight, and most importantly Noble Pie

Noble Pie is easily the best food item in the city.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast