Quantcast
Stupid hiring/interviewing practices (split) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stupid hiring/interviewing practices (split)

Default Stupid hiring/interviewing practices (split)

Quote Originally Posted by Hero_X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I know this is kinda hijacking the thread a bit, but, what would you guys recommend for extra income? I work 40hrs a week but wouldn't mind doing something extra if I can get a bit more $$$.
    If you have a hobby, try turn it into a small side business. Or find a store that you've always wanted to work at based on your interests, and work part time there. Or wait tables when minimum wage hits $15/hr in October haha.

The most lucrative job outside business hours that doesn't require a specific education that I can think of is probably a Calgary Transit driver, or a low level position at a Hospital (Porter).

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Good luck getting a job as a porter lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Good luck getting a job as a porter lol.
    Is there some context to that? You get around $20/hr, grade 12 education is all that is required, and AHS has about a dozen postings right now for porters.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Is there some context to that? You get around $20/hr, grade 12 education is all that is required, and AHS has about a dozen postings right now for porters.
    Pretty much the entire time I've been in Edmonton (2.5 years now) I've tried to be a porter as a part-time gig since it's right at the University. It was impossible after numerous attempts. I finally asked someone in Calgary how they got their position and it was through first volunteering and then an internal posting (that later gets posted publically for "fairness" or something according to the union).

It's possible I was just very unlucky but incredibly skeptical when it's touted as easy.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have no knowledge of the AHS process but I can say with certainty that a job positing doesn't always mean a job that's vacant and going to be filled. Many organizations are just "testing the market" or they already have a candidate in mind and are checking off a box on the HR process but have no interest in additional applicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Pretty much the entire time I've been in Edmonton (2.5 years now) I've tried to be a porter as a part-time gig since it's right at the University. It was impossible after numerous attempts. I finally asked someone in Calgary how they got their position and it was through first volunteering and then an internal posting (that later gets posted publically for "fairness" or something according to the union).

It's possible I was just very unlucky but incredibly skeptical when it's touted as easy.
    Interesting, I did not realize it was such a sought after job! There is 8-10 positions posted in Calgary right now, but I don't know how hard they are to get. My GF is a nurse and has always suggested that as an easy unskilled job that makes decent money.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ask her about full-time RN jobs, I imagine they're much the same -- All internal postings where everyone starts as casual or part-time.

University and government jobs are notorious for this waste of time. The optics look good because they're making it seem like equal chance for the public to get a job, but the reality is it's just a waste of everyone's time and money (both applicant and hiring team) because they already have someone selected.
    Ultracrepidarian

Ask her about full-time RN jobs, I imagine they're much the same -- All internal postings where everyone starts as casual or part-time.

University and government jobs are notorious for this waste of time. The optics look good because they're making it seem like equal chance for the public to get a job, but the reality is it's just a waste of everyone's time and money (both applicant and hiring team) because they already have someone selected.
    Lots of O&G do the exact same thing, they post the job with no intention of hiring externally or after the candidate has already been selected. I did not know AHS also did that.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Lots of all industry do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah we do that here too. Certain job postings have to be posted publicly so that it looks like whoever is hiring made an "honest" effort to find candidates from all avenues even if they already have someone in mind and hiring externally was never going to happen.

It also works the other way around: even if you have an external candidate you want to hire, you have to show that you've considered all internal options already. There was a management position available here and someone I know had no interest in applying for it but they kept hounding her to interview for it but she kept declining. She was scheduled for a meeting one day out of the blue and it wasn't until part way into the "meeting" did she realize she was being interviewed for the job she didn't want. They actually had to trick her into being interviewed. Turns out by not interviewing for the position, she was preventing them from hiring who they really wanted.

We also have some stupid rule here where if there's an opening for a position and if someone who already works here or is married to someone who works here is interested, we're obligated to give them an interview even if they're not qualified for it. We had a useless shit of a director that kept getting job interviews here after he was fired from the organization. Again, I think it was because we were obligated to give him one. What a waste of time.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Same with our company. We're not with AHS but still under health services over all.

Manager already has a likely candidate to be hired by the time the posting comes out. Waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have no knowledge of the AHS process but I can say with certainty that a job positing doesn't always mean a job that's vacant and going to be filled. Many organizations are just "testing the market" or they already have a candidate in mind and are checking off a box on the HR process but have no interest in additional applicants.
    The public sector is legally obligated to have public postings available. And they are also posted internally where, as everyone has mentioned, the position is already filled by the time it is posted.
    Damn +44411's