Quantcast
Beyond CSI: Check out this guy trying to steal my stuff... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond CSI: Check out this guy trying to steal my stuff...

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think I'd engage directly either, you can get in too much legal trouble these days if you are the first one to throw a punch, even if it is justified.

With that said if I was certain he was trying to steal my shit I might slash one of his tires or turn the hose on him. I doubt somebody like this would call the cops. Plus if he decides to get tough, well then at least you can play the self defense card and show him the business end of a breaker bar.
    This is where i am at too. I wouldn't start with fisticuffs but he wouldn't be walking out of there without some action. I highly doubt someone stealing shit is going to report someone slashed his tires. His word vrs yours at that point. But at least he know if he comes back it's not going to be easy.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    The fact is violent home invasions are statistically extremely low in Calgary,
    To add to that, the ones that DO happen tend to be targeted and often involve gang or drug activity... in which case they largely bring it on themselves.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Me too. I caught a kid going through my car a few years back. Grabbed him and threw him to the ground. He started bawling. I made him empty his pockets, he had nothing but loose change in his pockets. Turns out he was 16 and lived in my neighbourhood came from a rough home and probably never had decent parenting.

Why would I want to injure someone like that? What kind of person would I be if I had harmed him? Most he would have got was a $200 iPod sitting in my console and I can easily replace that.

At the end of the day decent people don’t want to harm anyone and have serious reservations about doing so.
    Wait wait wait.

I'm a decent person, but I sure as fuck want to harm some people.

Let's take your logic to the fullest extent. If so, what do you propose we do with child rapists? Prison? How is that not harming them?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    Wait wait wait.

I'm a decent person, but I sure as fuck want to harm some people.

Let's take your logic to the fullest extent. If so, what do you propose we do with child rapists? Prison? How is that not harming them?
    Equating injuring or killing someone to putting them in jail because it “harms them too” is a pretty disingenuous stretch to make.

I guess I should rephrase a bit. Decent people may “want” to harm someone but no decent person will know they’d go through with it if given the chance (defense excluded in this argument of course).

If you were in the OP’s shoes, the police caught the guy and charged him for whatever crime (maybe for the likely stolen generator for example). If they gave you the option with no legal implications to also show up and beat the guy senseless with a bat and you’d actually take them up on that offer, then no, you are fundamentally a bad person...

Make the punishment fit the crime, end of story.

Equating injuring or killing someone to putting them in jail because it “harms them too” is a pretty disingenuous stretch to make.

I guess I should rephrase a bit. Decent people may “want” to harm someone but no decent person will know they’d go through with it if given the chance (defense excluded in this argument of course).

If you were in the OP’s shoes, the police caught the guy and charged him for whatever crime (maybe for the likely stolen generator for example). If they gave you the option with no legal implications to also show up and beat the guy senseless with a bat and you’d actually take them up on that offer, then no, you are fundamentally a bad person...

Make the punishment fit the crime, end of story.
    Except, you just side stepped my point, and instead, moved the goal posts.

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    That fucker deserves to be shot and killed, put down the phone and pick up your pistol op!!
    Name:  allthesesocial-media-tough-guys-were-waiting-~ss-26623955.png
Views: 587
Size:  158.6 KB
    Last edited by speedog; 03-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Except, you just side stepped my point, and instead, moved the goal posts.
    I guess your point wasn’t clear. I haven’t move the goal posts. We’ve got several people in here claiming a violent response is appropriate and justified over attempted petty theft.

You made a disengenuous stretch to put physically harming someone at a similar level to putting someone in jail. I can’t argue with that as there is no rational connection between the two in this debate...

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Name:  allthesesocial-media-tough-guys-were-waiting-~ss-26623955.png
Views: 587
Size:  158.6 KB
    The day I see your opinion, is about the same day I fuck a fence.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess your point wasn’t clear. I haven’t move the goal posts. We’ve got several people in here claiming a violent response is appropriate and justified over attempted petty theft.

You made a disengenuous stretch to put physically harming someone at a similar level to putting someone in jail. I can’t argue with that as there is no rational connection between the two in this debate...
    Except, the only rational is to remove the POS from society.

The day I see your opinion, is about the same day I fuck a fence.

- - - Updated - - -

Your point still doesn’t make sense. I’m trying to find the rational/logical connection you tried to make between injuring/killing someone and jailing them?

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Speeding and texting/distracted driving is unlawful. More dangerous repercussions than petty theft (You could actually injure/kill someone because you aren't paying attention while driving/unable to stop based on conditions. vs taking change or a spare tire) Should people also be harmed/shot because of that?

Thieves like that go for easy targets. This person will not come back because he knows he has been identified (ie: not easy any more.) Who knows? Maybe this person had zero intentions of stealing anything? Have you ever walked up to a car/bike to check it out? Sure you may say its different than a beat to shit trailer, but to someone else the perception of you walking up to the car may look like you are checking it out with the intent of theft.

I honestly do believe our justice system is flawed, but shooting/harming/killing people isn't the answer.

Check out The Stanford Prison Experiment for an example on how decent people can turn into horrendous people. The film is based on actual psychological trials in California.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

So I heard back from the RCMP last night. The plates were stolen from Calgary. Interestingly enough, they said that's likely the best chance of charging him with something!

I'd always thought I'd be one to run out with my baseball bat. As a gun owner, and someone who supports Castle protection, I have nothing against protecting one's property. That said...I don't want to kill anyone. My brain switched gears when I realized what was happening, and I only had 2 thoughts: 1) I was so angry that someone had the nerve to come back and try to steal from me again 2) I needed to get him on video because I then we could track him. I did not even stop to consider grabbing a weapon and pounding the crap out of the guy, nor did I have the time to do so....but I was not scared or intimidated at all by him either. Only later did my neighbor point out that I ran out there (only half dressed!) to confront this guy while he was carrying a big wrench and could have easily tried to run me over as well.

Interesting to see how I reacted versus how I would be claiming to react if I were just commenting on someone else's Beyond thread.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

I think mike Tyson said it best “everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth”. What you think you can/will do changes drastically once you’re in the thick of it. That’s partly why I don’t take any of these “kill em”, “smash his skull” comments truly seriously haha

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    So I heard back from the RCMP last night. The plates were stolen from Calgary. Interestingly enough, they said that's likely the best chance of charging him with something!

I'd always thought I'd be one to run out with my baseball bat. As a gun owner, and someone who supports Castle protection, I have nothing against protecting one's property. That said...I don't want to kill anyone. My brain switched gears when I realized what was happening, and I only had 2 thoughts: 1) I was so angry that someone had the nerve to come back and try to steal from me again 2) I needed to get him on video because I then we could track him. I did not even stop to consider grabbing a weapon and pounding the crap out of the guy, nor did I have the time to do so....but I was not scared or intimidated at all by him either. Only later did my neighbor point out that I ran out there (only half dressed!) to confront this guy while he was carrying a big wrench and could have easily tried to run me over as well.

Interesting to see how I reacted versus how I would be claiming to react if I were just commenting on someone else's Beyond thread.
    You made the right call. Physical confrontation is for the unwashed masses and plebs.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know how I'd react. I'd hide in my house like a little bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    something green

I have a citizens arrest under my belt already, the difference was that person was already convicted... Still I don't know if I could control my reaction to catching some shithead up to no good like that....
    Too loud for Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Anybody who is a legal gun owner knows the kind of red tape and trouble you can get into. Plus gun owners (at least the ones I know) generally try to hold themselves to a higher standard because of all the pressure from media and government to crack down on ownership. Pulling a gun out for something like a petty robbery isn't helping that cause.

Most people don't truly know how they would react in a situation like that.

You have a few seconds to assess what is happening and then that fight/flight/freeze reaction kicks in. Unless you've had a lot of experience, it can be hard to control exactly what kind of action you might take.

I think it is pretty impressive you were able to get our your camera and get some good photos. That was a great way to handle this incident IMO.
    The people who react appropriately would usually be people with training for such scenarios, police, armed forces, some security guard services.
    Will fuck off, again.

Stolen 2001 Dodge 4x4 green on Reddit, eerily similar - link. I wonder if the one in @freshprince1 case is missing wheel well chrome on the passenger side.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post

I think you reacted how most normal people would. Your reflection on the scenario and your stance on castle law makes it even more interesting.

No normal person would jump to grabbing their guns...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast