Quantcast
LF: reputable company to build deck + material advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LF: reputable company to build deck + material advice

Default LF: reputable company to build deck + material advice

Need to get a deck built in our backyard and looking for a reputable company to do it, as well as some info/advice on the best type of material to use. Would like something low maintenance, which seems like a composite is the way to go?

Don't need anything too fancy, size-wise probably around ~140sqft.

Is a glass railing quite pricier compared to a standard metal railing? For those of you that have glass, how much of a hassle is it to keep it clean?

In the pic below, what is the proper terminology for the post in the ground (top right)

Name:  dqt75s.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  154.9 KB

Thanks for any input/advice

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Hopefully composite has improved over the last few years, neighbors did theirs and its terrible. It was light grey and absorbed a ton of heat in the summer (could barely walk on it) and the fastening system didnt allow for enough expansion and many joints buckled. Not what you expect for 3x+ the cost.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I am also looking for a decking/landscaping company to rebuild/replace our deck and put some pavers down and possibly prep for a hot tub.

Any suggestions??

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Random thought: my neighbour built his own deck and avoided railings completely by building a wrap around staircase.

Glass is really bad to keep clean whenever it rains, but same problem for the white railings I have.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'm on my second winter with just pressure treated wood and Cabot timber oil stain for water resistance (looks new still).

If I had to redo the deck, I would also look into cedar.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

If you want low maintenance. Stamped concrete.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

We had our deck built by Dan with A deck above.

http://www.adeckabove.ca/

Ours was a cedar deck with hidfast fasteners and it turned out awesome! I know he does lots of composite decking but he's extremely professional and knows his shit. He does his own work so you don't have to worry about subcontractors ect. I'd highly recommend getting a quote from him.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Need to get a deck built in our backyard and looking for a reputable company to do it, as well as some info/advice on the best type of material to use. Would like something low maintenance, which seems like a composite is the way to go?

Don't need anything too fancy, size-wise probably around ~140sqft.

Is a glass railing quite pricier compared to a standard metal railing? For those of you that have glass, how much of a hassle is it to keep it clean?

In the pic below, what is the proper terminology for the post in the ground (top right)

Name:  dqt75s.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  154.9 KB

Thanks for any input/advice
    Keeping it clean depends on how much you care. I waxed my railing and glass in the spring with quickwax and didn't touch it again all summer. But then again I didn't care if it got a bit of dust on it. It's an outdoor item. /shrug.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

The post in the ground is called a helical screw pile. I used those for my deck's foundation last year and also had to get stamped engineered drawings for the building permit. Luckily for you, your deck looks like it'll be less than 0.6m above grade so you won't need a permit.

I went with cedar for my deck due to the cost of materials for my square footage. 5" wide cedar is marginally more expensive than pressure treated. For just 140 sq ft, I would be using composite. Another option is vinyl decking.

As for railing, I got Home Rail Ltd to do glass railing for only $28/ft and install was $8/ft.

My Ride
    Silverado

composite decking, hardwood and iron railing.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

https://www.urban-oasisdev.com

Have a few friends that work at Urban Oasis. They do legit work. It won’t be the cheapest outfit in town, but you’ll get what you pay for and you’ll end up with an amazing deck.

How does composite decking hold up in the sun? My backyard is west-facing. Will it deform at all after a few years?

call Viewpoint decking 403-9909116

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    How does composite decking hold up in the sun? My backyard is west-facing. Will it deform at all after a few years?
    It really depends on the boards you get and how they're installed. There are some brands that are known for overheating, fading and quality control issues. If you install them incorrectly that can also lead to issues later since they expand and contract like wood does.

If you do a search, there are brands like Azek, Trex, Timbertech.. others. You'll find the price can vary a bit, I think Trex and no name brands typically suffer from fading and heat issues. Not that Azek and Timbertech don't have those issues as well but I believe it's less prevalent from the research I did at the time.

We went with Azek and they've been fine so far after 4 years.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My original deck was built in '99, so 19 years old now. Treated lumber, no paint on the main deck, with the railings painted. The railing had to be repainted over the years because of the sandblasting effect from the NW winds. We expanded our deck last year and turfed all the railings, inspected the original deck and it was really no different than new. That made the decision to go simply withtreated lumber easy, with no paint or stain. Expecting zero maintenance forever.

I've seen way too many warped, discolored or other aged effects of composite decking to stay away. I don't mind my simple untreated deck looking bland.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

^
    100% Agree. Pressure Treated all the way. It'll color wash to greyish over time but a long as you are OK with that, it seems to stand the test of time.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Bump. Anyone get their deck built? For those with PT lumber aren't you finding the wood splintering? With 2 small children this is the reason we were leaning towards cedar..
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Bump. Anyone get their deck built? For those with PT lumber aren't you finding the wood splintering? With 2 small children this is the reason we were leaning towards cedar..
    Sand it, if your kids are out barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Be a great dad and give your kids the best... Composite on the walking surface. Light color to avoid burning their feet.

Give Dan at Danny Boy Construction a shout.
    Super small outfit, majority of their work comes from word of mouth. Dan has extremely high attention to detail, he built my parents deck and reno'd a large portion of their house.

https://www.facebook.com/dannyboyconstruction/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast