Quantcast
Turo - Any experiences, reviews, advice - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turo - Any experiences, reviews, advice

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

For sure, I did some super sloppy math and don't forget about the 25% cut that Turo takes, in addition to paying taxes on your income.

I read a couple more articles about Turo and the cheaper your fleet is, the more income you'll get obviously. One guy found Chevy Cruzes for lease for something like 18 bucks a month and after all the math (insurance, etc) was said and done, he was making 2500% returns on those Cruzes which he had 4 leases of.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:21 PM.

The only reason someone is renting a sports car is so they can drive the bag off it and/or do other things they would never subject their own car too. I would imagine you would need that thing rented out every single day just to cover the maintenance costs and tires.

Cheaper cars would make the most sense but then why wouldn't you just go to a rental car company that is cheaper with less hassle?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Always curious to try out Turo every time we go out of town. but we found that for the 'basic' cars like Camry, accord, etc.. it's often cheaper to just rent from a car rental company.

For the 'used premium' cars like a 5-8yo 3 series or GLK, it seems like too much money (>$100usd/day) to rent a $20-30K car... .. or $150/day to drive a 12 year old boxster.

and then the premium cars are just too rich for my blood even though those seems to be the most justifiable.

so.. we have yet to try it...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For the 'used premium' cars like a 5-8yo 3 series or GLK, it seems like too much money (>$100usd/day) to rent a $20-30K car... .. or $150/day to drive a 12 year old boxster.
    Deals are few and far between as people slowly learns the cost of business.

I scored a Tesla P85 for 2 weeks for just under $1400USD in 2017. Given I saved roughly $400 in fuel, it wasn't a bad deal at all.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-27-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    At this moment I personally don't think I'd use Turo as a serious rental if I went somewhere, maybe more as a novelty thing. Even then, there are other more legit options out there.

Yeah I don't know, haha. I was looking at renting a car not that long ago and I could get an economy one for like ~50$ a day

I wouldn't mind an upscale 5 year old vehicle though for 150$ a day. If it has been well cared for it would be a lot nicer than what the regular rental places could offer.
    Then aren't you paying $150/day to rent a ~$20-25k car though? It might be a bit nicer than the Hundai Elantra or whatever the rental company gives you, but it wouldn't be worth any more and therefore shouldn't cost any more to rent. It also might be missing basic features you would want for a short term rental away from home or in an unfamiliar place like Android Auto, bluetooth, autonomous safety systems, etc. Old luxury cars should be $15-20/day just like the rental car companies if they are old and of similar value, IMO. If someone wants to rent out their brand new $75K german sports sedan for people to abuse the shit out of, then $150/day sounds much more reasonable.

The examples given above are ridiculous IMHO - $150 for a 12yr old boxter (a $10-15K car) or $100 USD/day for an 8 year old GLK ($10-15K). I'd much rather have a newer car that is less likely to leave me dealing with a mechanical failure and has modern safety/infotainment features.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

One thing to remember is that the owner gets to set their own rates, so depending on where you are going you can stumble upon better deals. For example I rented an Alfa 4C Launch Edition for $200 in Tucson, but in Vegas there were base models going for $400 at the time. Worth at least a cursory glance in my opinion. Charging for exceeding the mileage limit is at the discretion of the owner, which in my case he decided not to charge for the extra 150 miles I put on it. It was also nice to be able to bullshit with him about his favorite roads before I drove it, might as well leverage the local knowledge of a fellow car guy.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The only reason someone is renting a sports car is so they can drive the bag off it and/or do other things they would never subject their own car too. I would imagine you would need that thing rented out every single day just to cover the maintenance costs and tires.
    I disagree. Whenever I travel, I like to rent a luxury or performance vehicle but don't drive it any more aggressively than my own car; I just prefer to have a higher end vehicle. When you consider that many of the people renting in Calgary are taking it to the mountains, even if they decide to push it, it's highway driving anyway so wear and tear would be minimal. Renters are also aware that they are responsible for any tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    I disagree. Whenever I travel, I like to rent a luxury or performance vehicle but don't drive it any more aggressively than my own car; I just prefer to have a higher end vehicle. When you consider that many of the people renting in Calgary are taking it to the mountains, even if they decide to push it, it's highway driving anyway so wear and tear would be minimal. Renters are also aware that they are responsible for any tickets.
    That's fair, but that would put you in the minority I think. Most people aren't renting sports cars to drive around like a grandma, nor do most people treat rental cars like their own. When I rented a brand new Corvette in San Diego, it only had 10k miles on it or so but it looked/drove as if it had 200,000 miles on it. That thing was beat to hell and sounded like it was about to fall apart. One of the roughest rental cars I've ever had, and I definitely added to that. Car rental clients are always responsible for tickets, no matter who you rent from, it doesn't stop them from abusing the heck out of the cars and generally doing things with them they would never do to their own cars There is no immediate consequence, maintenance obligation, or obligation to replace consumables (tires/brakes) so as long as you return the car before something breaks and without any major damage, it's someone else's problem.

It's one thing if you just wanted a nice car like a E-Class MB or something to take to the mountains, but I don't think many people are renting a 2-seater Porsche or similar to putt around at the speed limit.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Bump. (tl;dr - Brother booked Turo rental and it got repo'd while on trip.)

Brother had a Turo in Phoenix yesterday. His motorhome is parked north of the city a ways out to the north. Just over an hour. He's been using Turo from the airport as they fly down there throughout the winter. Was going good until yesterday.

They got there, got the car from the big parkade that they use for Turo/rentals and headed out to the motorhome. Got there and got set up and needed some groceries. They headed into town (him, wife, kid) and stopped at a store.

They get their groceries and come back out. Car is gone. Brother is sure this is where he parked it but took the fob out of his pocket and pressed the alarm to see if something would honk. Nothing. Car is for sure gone. He thinks it's been stolen. Just then, a random guy pulls up next to him and asks if he was looking for a Jeep. Brother says yes. Guy asks if it was his. Brother says no, it was a Turo rental. Guy says, oh our local tow truck driver just pulled up, hooked on and drove away with it. Looks like it got repo'd.

Brother, wife, kid and all groceries go back into the store to the customer service till and ask if there is a taxi around to get them back out to the motorhome. No taxi's in this small town. But the woman at the till did mention that the local tow driver spends most of his time going around looking for cars that need repo'd.

So now they are stuck at this store until a taxi from the city can come and get them. Brother messages the owner of the car thru Turo and the owner is flipping out saying there is no reason for the car to be repo'd. The cops get involved by the owner because the owner is saying the local tow driver stole the car.

But wait it gets better. Brothers motorhome keys, kids car seat and blankets are in the now repo'd car. lol, god damn.

The cops end up giving the impound lot phone number to my brother about three hours after this whole saga began. But now it's late evening and the yard is closed. He can't get his stuff out of the car.

They end up in the taxi after waiting at the store this whole time. Had to wait until 9am this morning to get the impound lot on the phone. They confirmed that it is in fact up for repo due to delinquent payments.

Current situation is the impound lot is letting my brother get his stuff out of the car right now. Turo refunded my brother all his money he paid for the trip. That went smoothly. The owner is trying to send money to my brother so he can get the car out of the impound but since my brother got the refund already, he told him good luck and moved on. Now he's getting a ride back to Phoenix to get a rental later today.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bicycle

All sharing economy is going down the toilet. Same with AirBnb.

Here's another nightmare Turo scenario:
    https://abc7.com/turo-car-destroyed-...ntal/13936679/
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-15-2023 at 12:27 PM.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post

Brother had a Turo in Phoenix yesterday. His motorhome is parked north of the city a ways out to the north. Just over an hour. He's been using Turo from the airport as they fly down there throughout the winter. Was going good until yesterday.

They got there, got the car from the big parkade that they use for Turo/rentals and headed out to the motorhome. Got there and got set up and needed some groceries. They headed into town (him, wife, kid) and stopped at a store.

They get their groceries and come back out. Car is gone. Brother is sure this is where he parked it but took the fob out of his pocket and pressed the alarm to see if something would honk. Nothing. Car is for sure gone. He thinks it's been stolen. Just then, a random guy pulls up next to him and asks if he was looking for a Jeep. Brother says yes. Guy asks if it was his. Brother says no, it was a Turo rental. Guy says, oh our local tow truck driver just pulled up, hooked on and drove away with it. Looks like it got repo'd.

Brother, wife, kid and all groceries go back into the store to the customer service till and ask if there is a taxi around to get them back out to the motorhome. No taxi's in this small town. But the woman at the till did mention that the local tow driver spends most of his time going around looking for cars that need repo'd.

So now they are stuck at this store until a taxi from the city can come and get them. Brother messages the owner of the car thru Turo and the owner is flipping out saying there is no reason for the car to be repo'd. The cops get involved by the owner because the owner is saying the local tow driver stole the car.

But wait it gets better. Brothers motorhome keys, kids car seat and blankets are in the now repo'd car. lol, god damn.

The cops end up giving the impound lot phone number to my brother about three hours after this whole saga began. But now it's late evening and the yard is closed. He can't get his stuff out of the car.

They end up in the taxi after waiting at the store this whole time. Had to wait until 9am this morning to get the impound lot on the phone. They confirmed that it is in fact up for repo due to delinquent payments.

Current situation is the impound lot is letting my brother get his stuff out of the car right now. Turo refunded my brother all his money he paid for the trip. That went smoothly. The owner is trying to send money to my brother so he can get the car out of the impound but since my brother got the refund already, he told him good luck and moved on. Now he's getting a ride back to Phoenix to get a rental later today.
    Jesus that's quite the adventure.

My Ride
    Exploded.

holy sheeeit

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    All sharing economy is going down the toilet. Same with AirBnb.

Here's another nightmare Turo scenario:
    https://abc7.com/turo-car-destroyed-...ntal/13936679/
    Travel Savy, but doesn't understand how insurance works with Turo... hmm...

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Update: As I said in my previous post, Turo refunded the trip. The taxi they got came all the way from Phoenix so the bill was pretty big. Turo also refunded their taxi bill. They also went a step further and allowed my brother to book a trip for free as a replacement. So my brother is now cruising around in a Ford Raptor. Hopefully this one works out.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    *The First*

Update: As I said in my previous post, Turo refunded the trip. The taxi they got came all the way from Phoenix so the bill was pretty big. Turo also refunded their taxi bill. They also went a step further and allowed my brother to book a trip for free as a replacement. So my brother is now cruising around in a Ford Raptor. Hopefully this one works out.
    Wow!
    That's some pinnacle customer service. You find out what's what when you see how a business responds to a major fuck up.
    When I looked up Turo costs for my 3 week vacation it was going to be $9,000 so I've never paid much attention to them since then.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Brothers motorhome keys... in the car.

The rest of that really sucks, but your brothers an imbecile for this bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Anyone else hoping for another repo for the lol's. With out the whole family would be ok

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast