Quantcast
"Instant" on demand hot water units... how long to get hot water? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Instant" on demand hot water units... how long to get hot water?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default "Instant" on demand hot water units... how long to get hot water?

How long should you have to wait to get hot water?

New build with a brand new instant on demand hot water unit.... it sucks (we will be replacing it as soon as it breaks) as it can take a couple minutes to get hot water at taps at the far corners of the house.

Any settings to help, should we crank the temperature controls on the unit up? Can we add an under cabinet heater to help heat the faucet water up quicker?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I've noted the same issue in a new build as well. The master bath is as far as possible from the heater and takes minutes to heat up even with the unit cranked to max. I don't believe it really has anything to do with whether it's on-demand or a tanked water heater, just a fact of how such a long stretch of piping has stagnant water sitting around at room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we add an under cabinet heater to help heat the faucet water up quicker?

That's about the cheapest solution I can see but still doesn't help with the shower. I believe the better local ones will require 240V wiring as well.

Here's a cheaper one from HD that uses 110
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.advantage-35-kw-point-of-use-mini-electric-tankless-water-heater.1000841434.html
    Last edited by jwslam; 04-04-2018 at 12:30 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Warming up the shower for a minute is ok (I guess).... but running tap water for a minute or two to wash your hands seems stupid.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

Do you have a re-circulation pump on the hot water line that is on a timer? If you don't I would suggest you add one with a timer that you can have circulate before you wake up and other times such as before going to bed. This is what I have done so that the hot water has circulated in the lines and takes less time to get to the far end of the house. Also added the pump to a wemo wifi plug so that I can turn it on manually or set it on for a schedule easily.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Recirc pumps are the way to fix this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    toyota MR2

I hated my on demand heater for many reasons. I switched to a tank and been happy ever since
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    Do you have a re-circulation pump on the hot water line that is on a timer? If you don't I would suggest you add one with a timer that you can have circulate before you wake up and other times such as before going to bed. This is what I have done so that the hot water has circulated in the lines and takes less time to get to the far end of the house. Also added the pump to a wemo wifi plug so that I can turn it on manually or set it on for a schedule easily.
    We have nothing. Could the pump be installed in the unfinished basement where we could add a plug/pump easily? Or does it have to be installed under the sink at the far end of the house (which would be slightly more challenging.

And I like the idea of the wifi switch.

edit: we'd need a re-circ line for this to work, correct? Shits.

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    I hated my on demand heater for many reasons. I switched to a tank and been happy ever since
    Builder wanted to charge extra to go to tank so we declined. Will live with this on demand for as long as possible then 'downgrade'.

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

We have nothing. Could the pump be installed in the unfinished basement where we could add a plug/pump easily? Or does it have to be installed under the sink at the far end of the house (which would be slightly more challenging.

And I like the idea of the wifi switch.

Builder wanted to charge extra to go to tank so we declined. Will live with this on demand for as long as possible then 'downgrade'.
    Should be able to add right next to it if you have a re-circulation line going back to the hot water unit from the cold line in. re-circulation pump just plugs into a regular outlet where I have it plugged into a wifi switch.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by redevil View Post
    Should be able to add right next to it if you have a re-circulation line going back to the hot water unit from the cold line in. re-circulation pump just plugs into a regular outlet where I have it plugged into a wifi switch.

Cool.

So you just add a small loop in the basement mechanical room? Then all you deal with is clearing the cold water thats in the pipe from the basement to each fixture (which is not that big of a deal).

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I looked into this myself, and you don't need a dedicated line, it can use the cold water line for a return, don't really fully understand how this works, but apparently it does. There is the issue of your cold water line being somewhat warm as well and u would have to run it for a while to get the cold water. You can install this downstairs in the basement.

Keep in mind, there are various different ways plumbing can be done, and unless you have a loop system, at best it will get the hot water upstairs, but it won't be instant at the faucets, as the water would still have to travel from the second floor to the extremities of your faucets.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cool.

So you just add a small loop in the basement mechanical room? Then all you deal with is clearing the cold water thats in the pipe from the basement to each fixture (which is not that big of a deal).
    I think this only works if the loop is sufficiently close to the usage points. Also the bigger the loop the more energy ($) is wasted for the luxury of fast warm water.

End of the day water sitting in the pipes in one place will get cold.

The solutions all the just mitigate the issue by shortening the path between where It is warm and the usage point.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think this only works if the loop is sufficiently close to the usage points. Also the bigger the loop the more energy ($) is wasted for the luxury of fast warm water.

End of the day water sitting in the pipes in one place will get cold.

The solutions all the just mitigate the issue by shortening the path between where It is warm and the usage point.
    Yeah, we have a re-circ line and I disconnected it. Fucking useless with long runs. Water temp varies wildly and indirectly heats your house in the summer.

I should have built a manifold for hot water where each washroom has a direct line to the boiler so that it is the shortest possible. Next house I guess.

As eblend mentioned if you didn't get a recirculation line installed during the build, you can use the cold water line. You'll need the hot and cold lines furthest away from water heater T'd off to a pump. It'll move the room temp water in the hot line back down to water heater via the cold water lines. The drawback to this is that your cold lines will be room temp (possibly even warm momentarily) if that matters to you.

You would have to make sure the pump is moving enough water to trip your flow sensor though or it'll never heat the water.
    ---

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I'll have to do some timed tests.

Powder room (which is right above the mech room) VS ensuite sink (which is as far as possible away) to see the difference.

Suppose there are 2 issues, the time for the unit to heat the water AND the time to clear the line of cold water to hot.

I'll have to do some timed tests.

Powder room (which is right above the mech room) VS ensuite sink (which is as far as possible away) to see the difference.

Suppose there are 2 issues, the time for the unit to heat the water AND the time to clear the line of cold water to hot.
    The recirculation pump really needs to be plugged into a smart outlet to function properly without wasting tons of $. My builder had the recirc pump set to turn on every morning but trying to set other times where we would want hot water right away was tough. Now, it is all based on activity around the house (motion in washrooms, first activity in morning, etc). If the hot water line is cold, it takes just under a minute for hot water to circulate with the pump I have.
    ---

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    The recirculation pump really needs to be plugged into a smart outlet to function properly without wasting tons of $. My builder had the recirc pump set to turn on every morning but trying to set other times where we would want hot water right away was tough. Now, it is all based on activity around the house (motion in washrooms, first activity in morning, etc). If the hot water line is cold, it takes just under a minute for hot water to circulate with the pump I have.
    Sorry but do you have an on-demand hot water system or do you have a tank?

Tankless... have fun with the constant de-scaling services... Never going tankless.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Tankless... have fun with the constant de-scaling services... Never going tankless.
    Is that major issue with a water softener as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    I think the warranty is void if you do not install a water softener. I have tankless and water softener and have had zero issues. Shower takes about a minute or so to warm up in the morning and if the water is in regular use, taps don't take too long. I like it better since I would normally have 2 hot water tanks in my place.

Sorry but do you have an on-demand hot water system or do you have a tank?
    I have a tank.
    ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast