Quantcast
Trailering Noob Advice - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Trailering Noob Advice

My Ride
    2005 F350

Quote Originally Posted by stillworking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your n00b thread OP.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on Desert Fox toyhauler if everything checks out. This trailer is 7800 lbs empty with a max weight of 13,000lbs.

According to Ford my F150 has 2534 lbs of payload, and 10,600 lbs max trailer, I'll probably pick it up dry with my half ton and see how it is.

Luckily I have easy access to heavy duty trucks which might be the way to go...

My biggest concern is making sure the trailer is in good working order with no problems.

I've never bought a trailer trailer before, so would any one care to enlighten me on their used travel trailer purchasing routine?

There is already some good advice here regarding batteries/propane tanks/tires/bearings. What about fridges/furnaces/air conditioners/water pumps/stoves/ovens/holding tanks...?
    i think you'll have the payload to haul that trailer but the tongue weight will be the issue. as said, toy haulers generally have more tongue weight because they anticipate you loading up the storage space behind the axles with your toys.

a dry trailer weight of 7800lbs will probably have almost 1600lbs of tongue weight. that is way over the load rating of your hitch. in fact, i have yet to find a class 5 hitch available for the F150.

lets say you load up the back of the trailer with toys, load all your stuff into the trailer up to your 10,600 lbs limit. assuming you were able to get your tongue weight down to 12-15% of that weight, you're still over the rating of your hitch.

if i had that type of payload, i would consider a fifth wheel over a conventional travel trailer. although a fifth wheel toy hauler would be too much for your F150.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    AECO

Quote Originally Posted by SOAB View Post
    i think you'll have the payload to haul that trailer but the tongue weight will be the issue. as said, toy haulers generally have more tongue weight because they anticipate you loading up the storage space behind the axles with your toys.
    I crawled under the truck and you are correct. Max tongue weight for the factory hitch is 1100lbs. Thanks.

Also had a read last night on threads concerning WDH and others back to ES's first travel trailer. Interesting that Cos edited all his posts to periods.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a lot of thought on half tons, payload, and wd hitches. Will discuss in person if you want. I have expended a lot of energy on this topic..
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ran my trailer across the scales today. With family, firewood, generator, I have 900 pounds of stuff in my truck PLUS 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Bigger kids and more gear and I'd be another 200 lbs at least.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Your trailer must be pretty big. I remember seeing s thread somewhere on it.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 06-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Your trailer must be pretty big. I remember seeing s thread somewhere on it.
    7100 lbs or so.

My Ride
    Silverado

Looks like I'll need a new battery. Leaning towards an AGM. Seems like the added benefit of additional cycles, deeper discharges, and faster recharging makes it a worthy upgrade over an flooded cell. Thoughts? Not looking to spend 500+ on a 6v setup.

Thoughts? Any Brand better than another?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have heard that not all converters can handle AGM.
    Also, are Costco 6v batteries that much? Haven't priced any out in years but would have guessed lower.

My very old Trojan 6v batteries are slowly dying, but even at partial capacity they last us three nights if we don't need the furnace much. I can run generator for an hour to top up, so no big hassle. One day I'll replace.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 07-02-2019 at 08:49 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Costco 6v are only $150 it turns out. Going to pick some up. Need to figure out the mounting situation

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Costco 6v are only $150 it turns out. Going to pick some up. Need to figure out the mounting situation
    A pair of noco snap top boxes?

My Ride
    *The First*

This may seem to contradict my posts within last 10 min regarding towing but these clowns in half tons going up Roger's Pass need to go die in a fire. Just keep the flashers on when the passing lanes come and let all 27 of us blow past you. Fuck! I started perfecting the "pass on right because I'm a cunt but you're too stupid and self-centered to breath my air" technique. I get by minimum 6-8 cars at WOT and then cut into left to pass the actual slow-ass MF in front. Rinse & repeat.
    That passing lane is for everyone. Not just the ONE guy in his Sienna who's immediately stuck behind Johnny F-150 pulling a rail car up the mountains.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 07-03-2019 at 12:00 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    A pair of noco snap top boxes?
    Seems like they'll work fine. CT and princess auto don't have them. Any idea where to find them locally?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Battery Express or hobo camper country? They were cheapest from Amazon with prime shipping last year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4