Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost to move?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default How much does it cost to move?

Splitting this out from the tax assessment thread. @thinmyster
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moving is incredibly expensive no matter what the house. Costs. I was figuring fifty grand down the drain for my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    To this point, what is the real cost of moving? We are thinking of making a switch but I don't want to be throwing away money.
    For a family of four, moving from a house to a house in the same city, what's a reasonable range of costs to move?

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously if you rent a U-Haul and make your buddies carry everything and you do and painting at either end yourself it can be pretty cheap.

The other side of that is a moving company, and getting one or both houses professionally painted. I would also include any staging costs in here.

Not sure if it's fair to include realtor fees in here, but that 7/3 has to come from somewhere.

Edit: some people pay for a whole house clean before they move in, or get ducts cleaned or other things that should be accounted for.
    Plus lawyer fees, and any bank mortgage appraisal fees. Mortgage early termination fees (those can be thousands).
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 04-07-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Lease

I know someone when they moved (within Calgary to Calgary); just created a Facebook moving event, invited all 600-800 of his friends to come. He had over 20-30 ish ppl, with over dozen vehicles, he had a cube van as well. Pizza/pop and he's done. But of course all his friends living in Asia he invited, couldn't make it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

When I moved into my place I got all of it done in a Friday evening with two pickup trucks and a few friends, single life ftw.

My parents estimate $50k is what it’s going to cost them to move when they downsize.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    When I moved into my place I got all of it done in a Friday evening with two pickup trucks and a few friends, single life ftw.

My parents estimate $50k is what it’s going to cost them to move when they downsize.
    $50,000, guess I should dig a couple of holes in the back yard and keep them on standby for the wife and I.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

$1,500-ish for legal fees. Say $2,000 for the actual moving. Probably mortgage penalty (no idea here).

The rest in realtor fees for selling (if you own)?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Moving within city? If you aren't useless, and have a couple not useless friends/family, shouldn't take more than a day to move everything and cost under $1k.

Moving between cities, stuff starts to add up. If renting a trailer, they usually have to go back to where you got them, unless you arrange to leave them in the city you go to, but you get charged for that convenience. Gas is pretty damn pricey, to move 1.5 hours away would easily cost $300-$400 in gas all said and done.

I've moved over 30 times in my life. Been between Red Deer, Calgary, and Edmonton many times. If you are paying people to do stuff, it gets expensive. Moving furniture is rarely worth it unless you are attached to it, you might as well sell the furniture and buy stuff that matches the new place.

Now if you start factoring in realtor fees, mortgage penalties, paying people to clean places, etc, yes, costs can get exorbitant especially when we're talking about BEyond ballerz.

Phreak is insane, there is no way I'd ever pay $50k over and above moving unless the salary at the other side made up for it. I mean, I know he is a DINK, but I didn't realize that's how badly he wanted to get back to his true hippy roots. :p

Edit-
    I don't want to get into the whole "realtor" argument, but my family never uses realtor's to sell. Waste of time and money. But we understand picture composition, staging, etc, so we take care of that stuff ourselves.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I dunno. We moved to Chestermere from Kincora a year ago and the costs were very limited. Had a couple of friends help, got our boxes for free, did all the packing ourselves, and it cost us maybe $300 all in. The move itself can be very inexpensive if you're willing to want to die from it afterwards.

If you're factoring lawyers, real estate and mortgage issues, obviously that is where most of the money lies and will vary on many factors. In our case, we carried both homes until the old one sold, and we were a couple of months away from the end of our mortgage term so the penalties were minimal. In fact, we ended up with an even better rate so in the end I think it all worked out swimmingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    about $63,500.
    Jesus Christ!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

More than you can afford pal.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    NC1

lol wtf $60k to move?!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any money you might spend staging a house for sale could be added as well. Heck, professional painting of a house could be $5000. If you decide to paint the house you are moving into, bam, $10,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

When I added up all of my moving costs of moving from Calgary to Vancouver (So realtor fees, moving vehicle, transfer taxes, mortgage penalty, etc) the damage was about $63,500. The cost of actually physically moving my stuff was a small fraction of that; I rented an enterprise cube truck and all of the fuel, food, hotel, and rental costs, it was only about $1,800.

That doesn't however include temporary accommodation between when I sold and bought, storage costs, changing over to ICBC, or the cost of new furniture.

I will get some of it back through taxes this year because I moved for work.
    I'm sure you probably know this, but keep any and all relevant receipts/paperwork. You will be audited at some point. I also moved from Calgary to Van for work, and I didn't have nearly the expenses that you did and I was audited. The process is super easy so long as you have all of the paperwork that you need, but if you are missing something, you best believe that they will think it didn't exist.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Yeah I was more or less looking all in costs assuming a 500K house. Realtor fees alone would be close to 20K would they not?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by thinmyster View Post
    Yeah I was more or less looking all in costs assuming a 500K house. Realtor fees alone would be close to 20K would they not?
    $19K if you didn't use any of those low fee services.

Just moving in town, DIY with friends and rented u-haul, probably run around $1K. Anything that require professionals (just manpower), probably add another $1K on top. When you rent a u-haul, they do hook you up with local pros for loading and unloading. If I recall, they are about $300/hr (or was it per load/unload) or something like that for 2 dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    The key is to purge. 2000sqft can collect a lot of crap.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-07-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Unless you live like an absolute barn animal, or haven't reno'd your house in a couple decades, painting the house you're selling is a waste of money. 90% chance the buyer is gonna want to paint it before they move in anyways.

I've moved more than I'd have liked in the last 5 years, every time the cost has been minimal since we used friends/family to help, and haven't had to rent trucks or anything. That being said, we're going to pay for movers next time. I will never again break my back taking a treadmill up/down stairs, that alone is worth the money for movers.

My Ride
    NC1

Gotta pay to play Boost!
    Story of my life! but good stuff dude

Haven't moved in almost 22 years and probably good for another 22 as well. Gonna grow old with all my good neighbors of which most have been here for 18+ years as well.

Our last move, my wife and I moved most of our stuff in little trips because we owned both homes for about two weeks, the big stuff was done in one trip with a cube van we rented and the help of a few brothers and friends. Would be a different situation now, have collected a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-07-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Some of you guys must live in mansions. Moved about 2 years ago within Calgary about 10km away 1800sq ft to 2250 sq ft. Legal fees about 1500, realtor fee about $2000. We rented out old house so no selling fees or mortgage penalties, just purchase expenses. Moving company $2500 + another $500 cause I had to get another company to move my pool table. If I was 10 years younger and a few lbs lighter I would have rented a cube van and invited some friends over but I don't have the energy for that anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast