Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much does it cost to move?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...realtor fee about $2000.
    \

How the hell did you manage that? As mentioned, standard rate is about 19k on a 500k home.

We went with 1% realty to try to save some money, and ended up with a 14k bill. Would have been less but the other Realtor refused to lower his commission more than just a little. I really wasn't sure about going with a company like that, but our house sold in really good time and for a decent price, considering the market.

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I guess it depends where... I've moved myself within Calgary from apartment to apartment for less than $50 I'd figure.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    KTM

Depends what you classify as the cost of moving. The cost to move, aside from the the realtor was negligible(less than $2000), other costs like setting up the house the way we wanted it continue to grow. I will admit that I like things a certain way and moved pretty fast getting things the way we wanted them. We moved to a NEW never lived in house so the costs add up quickly.

This has been my last 6 months:

-Fence
    -Rebuilt deck to be larger
    -AC (not mandatory but once you have it, its hard to go back)
    -Garage heater
    -Basement development

In the next 6 months

- Complete landscaping
    - Shed

Those are some of the larger items, there have been others on top of that and the little things add up quickly also.
    Last edited by craigcd; 04-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    \

How the hell did you manage that? As mentioned, standard rate is about 19k on a 500k home.

We went with 1% realty to try to save some money, and ended up with a 14k bill. Would have been less but the other Realtor refused to lower his commission more than just a little. I really wasn't sure about going with a company like that, but our house sold in really good time and for a decent price, considering the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    ...We rented out old house so no selling fees or mortgage penalties, just purchase expenses. ....

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Duh.

Why realtor fees at all then?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Duh.

Why realtor fees at all then?
    You are right and I wasn't thinking clearly, he gave us $2000 lol. He's a good friend we've been dealing with and flipped houses with for a while now.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

left a house furnished for my tenants for one move... didnt sell anything. total cost was whatever 10 trips from the burbs to inner city costs in an old diesel pickup (maybe the cost of the pickup too? but i also used it for a winter beater that year).

then there was the move back (sold the inner city place)...

$800ish to Vince for purging all the crap
    ~$21k to Jordan and the buying realtor
    ~$14k to scotia for breaking a 5yr term after only 2yrs
    and whatever amount of fuel it takes to do ~10 trips in a ecoboost f150, maybe 15 trips? i think we brought a couple pieces of furniture back

dunno if you can add in the ~$10k or so for light renos and staging, since we made a decent profit and the place sold in one day

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I’m on my final counter offer to buy a house to finally move. We are currently in a rental so technically no realtor fees.

I have a 30 ft car hauler so don’t need to rent anything. We will probably move everything ourselves as well.

The only things I can think of is adding furniture to the house and making the house ours - $5000-$15,000? I don’t think that should be factored into moving though..
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

We just moved Calgary to Vernon last fall, family of 5 and we did most of the moving work ourselves including the rental of a uhaul to move our things.

As mentioned above the vast majority of the costs are not in the actual moving of your things but in the consequences of disposing of and acquiring a property.
    I don't have the numbers in front of me but the cost, on my tax return, of the move was around $12-14k. The true cost is a couple thousand higher but not everything qualifies to claim on your taxes. We timed the sale of our old house such that we didn't pay any mortgage penalties, and we sold privately so there was no realtor commission in that cost and still, $12-14k. Moving is expensive. It took us about 2 weeks start-to-finish to pack, move and unpack all of our stuff (okay, not ALL, there's always a few boxes left still packed).

Sugarphreak - it's not fair to count new furniture in the cost of moving - but still, $65k, holy shit!
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Just moved last year and first time moving from one house to another. This is what it roughly costed us:

Realtor Fee - Can't remember how much. Standard rates on a $600K house

Legal - ~$2500 for both buying + selling

Mortgage - kept old one and just started a new one with the same bank, so no mortgage penality.

Trash Disposable - Borrowed a truck from work and did about 8 trips to the landfill.. so $20 X 8 + gas.. maybe $250?

Prepping the house for sale - $5000 for new balcony, $2000 for new carpets in the basement, $100 for new paint to touch up stuff (e.g baseboard), $300 to clean up the yard/trees. $500 to fix misc things around the house. $250 on homesense decors to prep up the house. $100 in cleaning supplies and deep cleaned the house ourselves.

Moving: The houses didn't overlap so we had to move all the stuff once into one of their garages, then live w/ our parents for 2 weeks before we can move into the new house. To move the stuff out we just borrowed a friend's mini van. Maybe $100 in gas? It took many trips and in hind sight I wished I just hired professional movers instead. Then moving to the new house it costed $600 for professional movers.

Setting up the new house: Luckily the house was newly renovated and move-in ready, so no renovation work needed. Not even paint. We did upsize to a bigger house so we needed alot of new things. Dining table $500 (used). Couch $3200. Patio furniture $3000. TV (only had 1 before) $2100. Receivers $1000 (in-wall speakers upstairs and downstairs). Misc decors: $2500. Others: $3000 (e.g plates, cups, table runners, carpets, chairs, coffee table, shower curtains, etc. )

So.. looking at this now... It costed us ~$47K to move, but this is upsizing and buying alot of new stuff.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 04-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Trash Disposable - Borrowed a truck from work and did about 8 trips to the landfill.. so $20 X 8 + gas.. maybe $250?
    How much is your time worth?! Get a dumpster bin for a day!
    No offloading, no waiting in line, no driving back and forth. Did a dumpster bin a few times and more than worth it after doing it for years the way you did.
    PM me if you need a recommendation.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    How much is your time worth?! Get a dumpster bin for a day!
    No offloading, no waiting in line, no driving back and forth. Did a dumpster bin a few times and more than worth it after doing it for years the way you did.
    PM me if you need a recommendation.
    I didn't realize how much stuff I had to throw away until I was on my 4th or 5th trip! Probably should've got a dumpster, but I also had a bunch off that I wasn't sure if they can be thrown into a bin, like 3 sets of rims/tires, many cans of paint, etc..

No plan to move again for at least 7-10 years lol!! My co-worker moved 5 times in 7 years. I have NO idea how or why... once every decade is way more than enough for me now that I've done it once.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 04-10-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Haha. Yeah that tends to be how it goes.
    Only way to really know is to sort it based on the dumping regs but that's a pain.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

My airline gives you $14,000 for moving costs if you take a reduction to another base. This isn’t for realtor fees, etc it’s strictly for packing, hiring movers, etc.

Not sure if that helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2