Quantcast
Nania's - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Nania's

Default Nania's

Naina's

located at 121 17th Ave. SE , Calgary 403-263-6355 http://nainaskitchen.com/

First off, I'm no foodie, although I've been around for many, many years and have eaten more then my fair share of food. I first heard of
    Naina's a couple of years ago from one of the past owners of the Riverstone Pub. I think the original spot was located off of Odgen Road somewhere ( near Mug Shotz ? ), but never ventured down there to try it. Its now more conveniently located to me on 17th ave., so decided to give it a go. I don't have my own photos so I linked in their website. Lots of photos there.

Their claim to fame is their stuffed burgers, mac n cheese and poutine's. They also have a deal where if you are heading down to the Saddledome/Stampede Grounds for a game, you can dine there and park for free ( reserve ahead for this ). Being that its two blocks away, it can be a pretty good deal.

Went down Friday night with my wife. She had a daily special which was a creamcheese and sundried tomatoes stuffed burger w/fries ( $16.95 ). I had a bacon stuffed burger, also w/fries ( $15.95 ). Two waters.

Food rating: 4.7/5

First off, these things are huge. My platter arrived with the burger, two small containers of cole slaw and pickled veggies, and a huge pile of very hot fries. I cut my burger in half and noticed it was heavily laden with bacon all the way thru. Every bite had bacon. Burger included mustard, pickles and lettuce. Cooked well, but still a bit juicy, just the way I liked it. Bun was standard issue but was very happy at how it contained its composure till my last bite. Not a easy feat as this thing was almost two inches thick. Arguably, one of the best bought burgers I've had. Period. Not greasy. Not overly done with the condiments to make it a drippy mess. Never fell apart and everything seemed fresh. The fries arrived hot, not greasy and abundant. Cole slaw was a mayo based and made in house. Veggies were a nice surprise. Not sure what spice or herb the put in it, but the were good.
    Wife seemed pretty happy with hers as well. For the both of us it turned out to be enough for two meals. The money part of my brain quickly figured this handmade feast was quite the deal.

Ambience: 4/5

Place seems very new and clean. Walls are mostly covered in chalkboard material which makes for some good reading as you are waiting for your food. Only one TV, which for us isn't a problem but its not a sports bar. Also not sure about how the are during the day or other nights, but it was at best only half full. Could of been the crappy weather??

Service: 4.5/5

Reception was fast. We only had water but it was brought quickly and I was very happy to see big glasses. Staff was very attentive and seemed to enjoy their jobs. Also, one of the owners came out to check on how things were going a few times. During our chat we mentioned it was a special day for the wife and I, and she not only thru in a complementary dessert, but because of a allergy she gave us one that isn't even on the menu and it was excellent.

Overall, a homemade locally sourced burger that is easily our only go to place now when the craving strikes. Not only did we have a great meal but with leftovers it was a real bargain . Clearly at the top of my burger place pyramid . My only regret was not going sooner .

Cheers.
    Last edited by blueToy; 04-07-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

My Ride
    ute

kid friendly?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    kid friendly?
    Could be if you park away from Alpha House/Shoppers.

Inside, definitely.

I got a stuff burger and thought I can also do a side poutine. BIG mistake, almost died.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-07-2018 at 06:15 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Nainas. Spell it right

And you get a lot and get stuffed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I order the "little" burger that comes without the stuffing usually. Don't leave feeling like I'm gonna die that way. Good place. They have a few interesting grilled cheese options too which my wife often tries. Quality joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Awesome. Will give this a go!

Done and thank you.

My Ride
    ute

also, your review is missing....something.

also, your review is missing....something.
    Sorry. No photos of food or boobs. No photo of receipt either. What else is it missing?

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Could be if you park away from Alpha House/Shoppers.

Inside, definitely.

I got a stuff burger and thought I can also do a side poutine. BIG mistake, almost died.
    Made this mistake too. Stuffed burger with a fried chicken poutine. Needed a nap after.

Great food though. Love the burgers.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

kid friendly?
    Completely kid friendly.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Its a small place and while being kid friendly keep your kids under control please. The environment is that where if kids were being shits or overly loud it would make dining miserable.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Its a small place and while being kid friendly keep your kids under control please. The environment is that where if kids were being shits or overly loud it would make dining miserable.
    same as every restaurant.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    same as every restaurant.
    Agreed but Nainas is considerably small than most places and people are very close to each other.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

The special I had a while back was PB, Banana, and Bacon, labeled the "Elvis". Was good.
    Their breakfast poutine was also good.

Oh and their happy hour is a really good deal