Quantcast
SLLOOWWW computer. Looks like the HD? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: SLLOOWWW computer. Looks like the HD?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That looks like a good deal. Think I'll pick it up - thanks.

So, for the uninitiated... how does this even hook up? I've seen models that look like they fit into a pci-e slot, and others that look like they are cabled in....

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

That one will be cabled in and sit in a drive bay, you'll need a spare SATA port on your motherboard as well as a spot to connect the power cable, depending on how old your power supply is you might need a molex adapter, but I think that's going back 10 years so probably no need to worry there.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Fuck I just realized the Sasmung 830 I have now is quite a bit slower than the latest stuff...

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../m423831vs1387
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    That one will be cabled in and sit in a drive bay, you'll need a spare SATA port on your motherboard as well as a spot to connect the power cable, depending on how old your power supply is you might need a molex adapter, but I think that's going back 10 years so probably no need to worry there.
    Got it. So I need a sata port, as well as a free power cable from the supply. And the connector should be standard. Easy enough.

I've installed a regular ide HD so I figured it wouldn't be too challenging....

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Nope, physical install should be a breeze then with your experience. I think you mentioned wanting to clone your current drive to it, but that's a 1TB drive, no way that will fit on a 120GB drive obviously. I think it can be done if you are using less than 120GB on the 1TB drive currently, but I've never cloned a drive so others with experience can chime in with advice there. Personally I'd do a clean install of the OS on the new drive and make it the primary boot drive and if there are any settings you forgot/missed etc you can still boot to the old drive to get the info. After a few months of being satisfied that you have the OS and programs running well you can just delete the windows and programs folders from the big drive and use it for storage.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Don't clone. Do a fresh install especially onto a SSD.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yeah, but again, it was an OEM install of Windows so I don't have any way to reinstall. Even HP doesn't offer the original recovery disks anymore, and they were never given with the computer.

I also looked last night and couldn't find an available SATA connection. It's a pretty condensed chassis so it was hard to see everywhere, but was SATA offered standard on pretty much all motherboards in the past half decade? To be honest, I never even checked the connection to the current HD so that might have been a pretty good place to start...
    Last edited by Kloubek; 04-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

You can download windows 10 media creation tool for free then buy a legit key off eBay for less than $10 (I've done it, learned about it from another Beyonder), so that's half the battle. Next if you have a spare PCI-E slot you can get a PCI SATA card (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43517) for $50. I know this is driving up the cost, hopefully you find some SATA connections hidden in there somewhere.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

By all rights, there SHOULD be a key on the case somewhere for the original install. So if that media creation tool will install an operating system, then I should be golden.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I only have the one PCI slot, which is being used by my video card. Not sure I'll be able to do the SSD, but I'll still investigate. The extra expense isn't a big deal to me if it really makes a difference.

At the very least the computer is running at a level now that it is usable, and I found I have an open slot for memory so I'm going to pick up another 4GB today and that might help things further. The fact is, I don't need a screaming machine for the old game titles I play and browsing. I might be able to breathe new life into this thing for another couple of years...

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

What version of windows are you on? If you already upgraded to windows 10 via the free promotion then you can just use its built in reset feature to do a reinstall and you don't have to reenter a cdkey. I think windows 8 might have something similar. I did this recently for my father in law.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Windows 10. Was brand new when my computer was purchased.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Don't clone. Do a fresh install especially onto a SSD.
    You got to do what you got to do.

Kloubek:

- The best is put SSD into a USB3 caddy
    - Clean out your drive and make sure the OS drive only have 100GB or less of data.
    - Clone from C: to USB SSD (with software provided or borrow one)
    - Open up and swap the drive. If you want to keep the HDD, just plug that into the next available SATA port.

Of course, that's the PC, laptops could be whole another ball game because you make sure the SSD has to fit.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Yeah, for windows 10, just use the media creation tool. When asked for a key click I don't have a key. It will install and activate automatically based on same motherboard or same Microsoft account. No key required.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Ok that's great. And it turns out I DO have an available SATA port as well so I'm good to go. Unfortunately Xtrema, that item isn't available anywhere except one store in Edmonton. There are others for $20 more I think...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3