Quantcast
SLLOOWWW computer. Looks like the HD? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLLOOWWW computer. Looks like the HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok -Always had AVG installed and have tried your typical malware and virus checks, defrag, etc. But my computer is so damn slow. Like... hard to surf the internet slow and browsers stalling slow. I know that Windows tends to potentially clog up over time, so to speak, but this is ridiculous.
    I just noticed this part. Get rid of AVG and just use the built in Windows Defender / Security Essentials (Depends on the version). Having two antiviruses installed is one of the most common things I fix when people come to me with a slow computer. The other thing is if that AVG is on some sort of scan schedule, it's going to be slamming your hard drive every time, and if you try to do anything or run a benchmark while that is happening in the background, it will slow to a crawl.

Even if your computer was 100% healthy, and SSD will make such an enormous difference that should be your #1 priority regardless, especially for breathing life into an older rig. They are so cheap it's a no-brainer IMO.

Download CCLeaner too and give it a run.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I really fucking wish CCleaner would die. Its such a waste and really does nothing that a disk cleanup can't do.

My Ride
    MR2

I like CCleaner. Cleans up a lot of folders that the native windows disk cleaner doesn't do. And a lot faster than manually going in and deleting stuff

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    I like CCleaner. Cleans up a lot of folders that the native windows disk cleaner doesn't do. And a lot faster than manually going in and deleting stuff
    Generally those folders are doing no harm and using no space. If your concerned about drive space then get a space checker.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    Same here. Cleans better than windows, has easy access to disabling startup programs, and can uninstall some things you can't from the control panel. Fantastic piece of freeware, and dead simple to use for the less computer literate.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Thanks for your help guys. I considered an SSD, but I have lots of room left on the HD so it seemed like a rather frivolous expense - especially if it won't fix the issue. (Even if they are only one bill). If I DID do that, how does one transfer their entire operating system to that? Do I have to do a disk image or something? Maybe a fresh install would be best - though since my Windows 10 came pre-installed, I don't have any install discs available.

Haven't looked in the bios, Firebane. Never even heard of AHCI. What mode *should* it be in, and if it WAS just fine, why would the mode now make a difference a few years down the road?

Revelations: I did download both. No errors detected using Disk Info, but I can do the chkdsk as well. Is that just the command-prompt based old-school tool?

BigDL: Not certain as I am at work, but it is no less than 4 and no more than 8.

Anyway, nobody has said anything particularly definitive about the numbers. I've heard "weak", and "probably pretty standard". But I haven't heard "brutal" or anything like that, so can I assume that the consensus is that my HD, though perhaps not screaming, doesn't appear to be the reason for a significant slowdown?

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Ok - so I have a computer that is a few years old but it has components in it that should be at least adequate. Always had AVG installed and have tried your typical malware and virus checks, defrag, etc. But my computer is so damn slow. Like... hard to surf the internet slow and browsers stalling slow. I know that Windows tends to potentially clog up over time, so to speak, but this is ridiculous.

It seemed to me that any time it was really struggling, I'd hear the HD just grinding away. Nothing abnormal, except for the length of time it did it because the computer was so slow. So I downloaded and ran a speed test on the HD and it seems to me that most people are getting WAAAYY more read/write times than I am. Looks like the sequential ratings are alright, but everything after that looks really, really low to me.

Attachment 81714

So, are these numbers in spec for a HD that's probably some 8 years old? (It was from my old computer)

Thanks.
    I am wondering if my laptop HD is dying too recently and here is what it got...

write

Next I went to my gaming desktop
    Read:
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

On a WD red 3 TB, I got the following numbers
    Read MB/s: Write MB/s:
    153.4 145.3
    2.144 2.013
    2.173 2.002
    0.580 1.857

On a Samsung 850 Pro I got:
    Read: Write
    563.2 531.1
    405.0 362.1
    405.4 360.8
    40.6 131.1

Kloubek:
    Theres a number of apps to do a direct disk migration, Acronis and Intel both had a migration tool I've used in the past and I think Samsung has one as well.
    https://www.acronis.com/en-us/person...ata-migration/
    http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor...ownload/tools/
    Last edited by colsankey; 04-15-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added links

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

this tool is useful identifying bottlenecks (bonus its free).

http://download.cnet.com/Moo0-System...-10864749.html

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by v2kai View Post
    this tool is useful identifying bottlenecks (bonus its free).

http://download.cnet.com/Moo0-System...-10864749.html
    Ugh don't install random shit like that. Windows has enough tools to figure out slow areas and better trustworthy sites if you need tools.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I just noticed this part. Get rid of AVG and just use the built in Windows Defender / Security Essentials (Depends on the version). Having two antiviruses installed is one of the most common things I fix when people come to me with a slow computer. The other thing is if that AVG is on some sort of scan schedule, it's going to be slamming your hard drive every time, and if you try to do anything or run a benchmark while that is happening in the background, it will slow to a crawl.
    Ummm... soooo... I tend to consider myself pretty computer savvy. But here's the thing. After your post I looked into Windows Defender, and didn't even realize it was loaded with Windows 10. Never really had a problem for years, but in light of your comment I uninstalled AVG and realized Defender was running in the background all this time.

Did it fix the issue? Sort of. It isn't lightning quick, but it certainly helped matters.

Thanks so much for this comment Mitsu... U da man.

Still doing the SSD thing soon though - you guys seem to really dig these, and I imagine for good reason.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Ugh don't install random shit like that. Windows has enough tools to figure out slow areas and better trustworthy sites if you need tools.
    install it, use it to see bottlebeck, remove it...
    to each their own.

Ummm... soooo... I tend to consider myself pretty computer savvy. But here's the thing. After your post I looked into Windows Defender, and didn't even realize it was loaded with Windows 10. Never really had a problem for years, but in light of your comment I uninstalled AVG and realized Defender was running in the background all this time.

Did it fix the issue? Sort of. It isn't lightning quick, but it certainly helped matters.

Thanks so much for this comment Mitsu... U da man.

Still doing the SSD thing soon though - you guys seem to really dig these, and I imagine for good reason.
    Windows Defender is totally useless. I recommend Webroot. Also if you're with Telus or Shaw both come with free anti-virus software.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Windows Defender is totally useless. I recommend Webroot. Also if you're with Telus or Shaw both come with free anti-virus software.
    Defender is far from useless and with proper browsing methods works fine.

Internet through your ISP? LOL. That definitely says to me a person has no clue.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Internet through your ISP? LOL. That definitely says to me a person has no clue.
    To be fair, I think he just meant they offer free software.... not that it was somehow "inline" before the data got to you.

I did some reading and it is generally concluded that Defender isn't quite as good as the well known suites at stopping viruses and malware, but it IS adequate. More than "useless", and that's probably enough for me given my browsing habits.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

To be fair, I think he just meant they offer free software.... not that it was somehow "inline" before the data got to you.

I did some reading and it is generally concluded that Defender isn't quite as good as the well known suites at stopping viruses and malware, but it IS adequate. More than "useless", and that's probably enough for me given my browsing habits.
    Browsing habits is far better than AV any day of the week.

I've used WSE/Defender for years and not once have I had an infection.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Windows Defender: Better than nothing.

Might as well use nothing.

Telus:

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/...ecurity-online

Shaw:

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/internet-extras/secure/

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Lol Norton and Mcafee are known to be two of the worst av out there for slowness and resource hogs.

Norton is quite good these days. Stop using 1998 as your benchmark.

I can't say anything about McAfee, but I did install it for my PIL's computer and it's been fine too, amazingly enough. Sometimes though John McAfee's picture appears on the screen and tries to sell them some underage kids.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast