Quantcast
Wireless Security Camera System - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Security Camera System

Quote Originally Posted by GTR_Auto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow those are really cheap! Can you pay for higher level cloud storage? 14 day rolling free is pretty good but would prefer longer

no cloud upgrade right now and it captures 15sec on noise / motion and stores to cloud. If you want 24hr recording just add in a memory card

these are new too!
    https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam-pan/

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Wow those are really cheap! Can you pay for higher level cloud storage? 14 day rolling free is pretty good but would prefer longer
    I use the Wyzecam V2's as well. By far the best value out there IMO.

You can just buy a $12 micro SD card and have longer rolling storage, and it's all viewable from the app. Can't beat these little cameras. Dirt cheap, polished app, and all the features of the high end cameras (motion detection and tracking, zone setting, smoke/CO alarm detection, great app (iOS/Android), comes with a slick non-destructive wall mount and a long power cord, shareable with family members, etc.) Compared to a $250 nest plus $10/mo per nest, this was a no brainer once I saw how good they were for under $40 + free cloud storage. They were founded by some ex Amazon executives.

The only thing people need to be aware of is there is a weirdly long 5 minute cooldown between 12 second recordings every time it detects motion (it pre-records too which is nice so you don't miss anything). A microSD card gives you continuous recording though so it's a super easy (and cheap) workaround.

You can also daisy chain up to 3 cameras together from one power source, and update firmware wirelessly.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

You can just buy a $12 micro SD card and have longer rolling storage, and it's all viewable from the app. Can't beat these little cameras. Dirt cheap, polished app, and all the features of the high end cameras (motion detection and tracking, zone setting, smoke/CO alarm detection, great app (iOS/Android), comes with a slick non-destructive wall mount and a long power cord, shareable with family members, etc.) Compared to a $250 nest plus $10/mo per nest, this was a no brainer once I saw how good they were for under $40 + free cloud storage. They were founded by some ex Amazon executives.

The only thing people need to be aware of is there is a weirdly long 5 minute cooldown between 12 second recordings every time it detects motion (it pre-records too which is nice so you don't miss anything). A microSD card gives you continuous recording though so it's a super easy (and cheap) workaround.

You can also daisy chain up to 3 cameras together from one power source, and update firmware wirelessly.
    The only downside is that they don't make an outdoor version. If they did, id have a pile of them.

I was reading some mixed reports of people keeping them under awnings ect with success but i need something more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Thanks for the info I think I’ll pick these up. I just need indoor ones and you’re right the nest is stupid expensive for what you get and I don’t really understand why (for indoor purposes that is).

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    The only downside is that they don't make an outdoor version. If they did, id have a pile of them.

I was reading some mixed reports of people keeping them under awnings ect with success but i need something more reliable.
    Yeah I would not use them outside, and the "outdoor enclosures" (third party) are just little roofs for it that would do nothing, and cost as much as the camera itself. It would be nice if they came out with an all weather version for $60 or something, but running power to cameras makes most outdoor ones a giant PITA because you are either drilling through your house, or plugging it into an outlet which anyone can just unplug.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Thanks for the info I think I’ll pick these up. I just need indoor ones and you’re right the nest is stupid expensive for what you get and I don’t really understand why (for indoor purposes that is).
    No problem. Yeah for indoor they are a no-brainer. They do two-way audio as well if you use it to check on your kids or something too. I have one of mine pointed outside through glass so I just disabled the IR lights and it works really well still with the few outdoor lights around our complex giving it enough illumination. The main reason I got it was the amount of Amazon packages that get left on our front step haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2018 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    TDi

I have 2 of these Wyze Camera's as well. One looks towards the front of my house and the other points at my new puppy. It's kind of nice being able to tell the pup to stop whining.. although it doesn't work haha
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I just had a wyze cam come in the mail. I'm going to point it through the window at the main gate, I have a big "fuck off" sodium lamp on the front of the office so it's lit enough not to worry about the IR stuff.

If it works well, I'll be buying at least one more. I'd like to get a third and try it outside, but its not like anyone is driving a vehicle through the 6+ foot tall ditch and cutting through the chainlink.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Very, very happy with the Wyze. Easy setup, everything works, and the notification system for movement is A+

I've ordered two more.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Picked up the 720p arlos to try them out, cameras aren't bad but for the life of me I cant get geotracking and schedule to work together!! Going to fiddle with it some more....

I would've bought those Wyze cams in a heartbeat but I just cant get over having a power cord hanging from a window!! How are people setting these things up?

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Ordered 2 of the wyze cams. Arlos are going back...

The Arlos being battery powered was a deal breaker for me even though cables suck too. They also can't do continuous recording unless you hard wire them and pay for a plan, which takes away their only advantage or makes them useless for security. Also the Netgear forums are littered with people complaining about battery life in winter, which is not surprising. For 1 Arlo you can buy almost 4 Wyzecams and I think you still need to add an Arlo base station on top of that for another $110.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.

I bought 3 wyze cams..pretty happy with them so far, especially for the price.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Thx for sharing the Wyze and your positive experiences, also just ordered 3 - Will update when they arrive.

How were you guys able to order Wyze cams? I tried and it says they don't ship to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    How were you guys able to order Wyze cams? I tried and it says they don't ship to Canada.
    You probably just accidentally went to amazon.com and not amazon.ca. They are still there:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076H3SRXG/...531925581&sr=3

Just one thing to note guys, they are a US-only company and can't help you with warranty claims beyond technical support. Not a big deal given Amazon's customer service and how ridiculously cheap the cameras are, but just something to note if that is really important to you.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076H3SRXG/..._-t1tBbGW4C4GK

This is the exact one I bought. You are on Amazon.ca correct?

Sorry guys, should have been more specific; I was trying to order this one:

https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-pan/

Sorry guys, should have been more specific; I was trying to order this one:

https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-pan/
    The Pan is not in Canada yet as far as I know. I spoke to WyzeCam staff and they told me that Amazon.ca is actually selling their products against their will. Apparently they have tried many times to get them to stop and it's proving difficult.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Got mine setup last night. Important to note, they ONLY work on 2.4Ghz Wifi. (I had the 2.4 wifi turned off for some reason so I had to go set that up on the Shaw router.)

Once that was working the setup took about 5 minutes. So far I'm very impressed with the quality and the night-vision, considering the price! Now I can check in on my dog during the day. Have to finish setting the other cameras up tonight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast