Quantcast
Moving to Calgary looking for home buying and area advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Moving to Calgary looking for home buying and area advice

Default Moving to Calgary looking for home buying and area advice

Hey guys i recently moved here and am a little overwhelmed with the amount of real estate in Calgary as of right now I am Renting in the N.E Redstone is the neighborhood I don't mind it and have looked at some town homes in the area Cornerstone is the area where the town homes are at they are 1505sq,ft detached garage built by Shane homes for around $340,000 they seem nice to me i am a little worried about parking and with all the town homes on the street it will turn into a "slum" of a neighborhood. would the town homes be a good investment?

my co workers said i should stay away from the N.E and said lots of crime is in the N.E it doesn't seem bad to me however

I'm looking to spend $400,000 or so, I would like to spend less however. I would like a garage. ideally 3 bedrooms, lawn and fence finished but that is not set in stone.

Pretty much as for right now i'm looking for advice on neighborhoods, home builders to stay away from and any Calgary home buying advice anyone has to offer

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Would uou consider an established neighbourhood? Do you have kids? What area of town do you work in? What do you do for fun after work?

All of these questions will help choose a neighbourhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by toster View Post
    Hey guys i recently moved here and am a little overwhelmed with the amount of real estate in Calgary as of right now I am Renting in the N.E Redstone is the neighborhood I don't mind it and have looked at some town homes in the area Cornerstone is the area where the town homes are at they are 1505sq,ft detached garage built by Shane homes for around $340,000 they seem nice to me i am a little worried about parking and with all the town homes on the street it will turn into a "slum" of a neighborhood. would the town homes be a good investment?

my co workers said i should stay away from the N.E and said lots of crime is in the N.E it doesn't seem bad to me however

I'm looking to spend $400,000 or so, I would like to spend less however. I would like a garage. ideally 3 bedrooms, lawn and fence finished but that is not set in stone.

Pretty much as for right now i'm looking for advice on neighborhoods, home builders to stay away from and any Calgary home buying advice anyone has to offer
    For that price you are probably looking at the far NE (where you are currently renting), SE calgary or new areas whereever they may be. Everything inner city what you are looking at is out of your 400k price range. The main problem with the area you are currently in other than it being NE is its ages from downtown (unsure if that matters) and the zero lot lines (2FT between houses rather than the usual 4FT).

You could also look at Airdrie or Cochrane if commuting distance is not a concern. I really like the newer areas of cochrane being that they are so close to the mountains but still affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    For that price you are probably looking at the far NE (where you are currently renting), SE calgary or new areas whereever they may be. Everything inner city what you are looking at is out of your 400k price range. The main problem with the area you are currently in other than it being NE is its ages from downtown (unsure if that matters) and the zero lot lines (2FT between houses rather than the usual 4FT).

You could also look at Airdrie or Cochrane if commuting distance is not a concern. I really like the newer areas of cochrane being that they are so close to the mountains but still affordable.
    yea a lot of the newer areas seem to be closer to my price range. The NE doesn't seem that much further away from downtown than any of the other new neighborhoods in my price range. Houses being closer might explain why parking seems so tight.

I would prefer to not to drive from out of town if i don't have to however

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Would uou consider an established neighbourhood? Do you have kids? What area of town do you work in? What do you do for fun after work?

All of these questions will help choose a neighbourhood.
    yea i'm okay with an established neighborhood. No kids. I start the day off in the SE but can end up anywhere in the day. snowboarding, biking, hiking,baseball are my usual hobbies

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Myself, unless you have family or employment out in the far NE, or you really like food and cultural events from the subcontinent, live somewhere else. It's fine, but otehr areas are nice.

Riverbend and Makenzie town are my top picks for you. I like riverbend a little more. Check out MLS # C4174300 as a starting point for your discussions.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That map is also a good starting point for discussion.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Best to give @JordanLotoski a call, he is our resident realtor and fantastic to work with. He can point you in the right direction for your search

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    That map is also a good starting point for discussion.
    I took some time looking at that map. Have been everywhere and know people from every sector and it is on fucking point lol

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The farther NE communities actually have lower than average per-capita crime rates compared to other neighborhoods in Calgary. They're mostly young middle-class families. The major downsides (like most new communities) are a total lack of transit access and amenities.

that maps amazing!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.

My Ride
    KTM

Panorama Hills needs to be moved to the NE quadrant.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Deer ridge is a pretty solid deal for what you get, proximity to the park, access to Deerfoot. Deer Run is the ghetto tho

Riverbend is pretty hard to beat for accessibility, being right beside the deerfoot/glenmore interchange is very convenient. Plus they have nice paths along the river. Starter/ mid level homes can be had for under $400K there I think.

Thanks everyone for your help and definitely thanks for the map haha. Will have to visit some open houses and check out as many neighborhoods as i can

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you start getting serious about a neighbourhood, go for a walk in the evening, you'll get a feel very quickly. Also try to visit during a work day as well.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by toster View Post
    yea i'm okay with an established neighborhood. No kids. I start the day off in the SE but can end up anywhere in the day. snowboarding, biking, hiking,baseball are my usual hobbies
    Neighborhood south of Glenmore, east of Deerfoot would be your best bet at that price range, except Quarry Park, I heard access is a problem, traffic jam.