Quantcast
Cheap Friends - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Friends

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For sure there has to be balance. I've had a lot of time to reflect on savings, earning, spending and the impacts each has on your quality of life. Particularly because I have kids, it makes sense to me to ensure a certain quality of life for them right now, vs scrimping so I'll have a nicer car when I'm 70.

That being said, quality of life and dollars spent aren't the same thing. A lot of things that are very cheap can be very fulfilling and rewarding for kids and adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Spending money isn't totally bad, I mean you kill yourself earning it... might as well enjoy the spoils a bit before your relatively short life is over.

I subscribe to the theory of balance. If you do nothing but save money for your future, you sacrifice your time now... if you spend it all now, you sacrifice your future. IMO the best course of action to have a good quality of life is to try and balance out your spending so you can enjoy the present, and the future. Sure, you won't die with a million bucks, but your also won't die with too many regrets.
    yea, your right, well said. I do the same, although I think debt is cancer, and I do get rid of any and all debt ASAP before buying or spending on stupid shit, like vacations or cars.

My Ride
    NC1

I have never felt so free until right now. ZERO debt lol

I can actually live paycheck to paycheck now and simply not give a fk haha it's great

- - - Updated - - -

It's as if everything in my life is disposable right now and that includes women haha they come, they go, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    When at restaurants, I had a friend that would ask strangers at other tables if they weren't going to finish their dishes if he could have it.....
    this crosses the line of being cheap to just being a fucked up thing to do. Can't imagine looking a stranger in the eye at a restaurant and asking for their leftover food no matter how broke/cheap i am.

My Ride
    ute

I knew a guy who would always take everyone's cash at a restaurant for the bill, and then pay for the whole thing with his credit card. (This was before the days when they had mobile card machines - which I find makes cash less common at restaurants). He would then would put a cheap tip, and the generous cash put people down would disappear. We even named the move after him. Cheap fucker that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I knew a guy who would always take everyone's cash at a restaurant for the bill, and then pay for the whole thing with his credit card. (This was before the days when they had mobile card machines - which I find makes cash less common at restaurants). He would then would put a cheap tip, and the generous cash put people down would disappear. We even named the move after him. Cheap fucker that guy.
    Oh I have met a few of those over the years at companies, typically that really weird/awkward Engineer who thinks no one notices and he is gaming the system. Usually find yourself not coming out to lunch with the group quickly. The best is when they were contractors and you know they kept the receipt for taxes. I don't think anyone was ever dumb enough to claim a client lunch but who knows, didn't follow up that much.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

That's pretty fucking sleazy.

I used to think I was a little cheap, but after reading these posts, not so much. I'm definitely more on the "value" train mentioned earlier.

My Ride
    NC1

I have seen this many times lol

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Even when I had money I was really cheap/frugal with some things and completely "fuck it" on others (mainly travel destinations during my off-season).

I still remember one day I was at Wal-Mart in Peace River looking at the various sponges and deciding which package had the best overall value. I mean we're talking less than $1 here and there I was, holding like 5 packages of fucking sponges in my hands really weighing my options
    Last edited by msommers; 04-18-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have seen people do this then claim it, people are sleezy fuckers I never expense anything. Never felt right.

I was trying to think of who my cheap friends are but I think I might be the cheap one
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

I'm pretty sure there are a few sales managers at car dealerships around the country that think I'm cheap.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I'm pretty sure there are a few sales managers at car dealerships around the country that think I'm cheap.
    Love it, beats them thinking you are a fool.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

I still remember one day I was at Wal-Mart in Peace River looking at the various sponges and deciding which package had the best overall value. I mean we're talking less than $1 here and there I was, holding like 5 packages of fucking sponges in my hands really weighing my options
    Fuck, that's so me. I'd have the calculator out checking the per-sponge cost vs surface area and expected longevity. Costco displaying price-per-weight on all their price tags saves me a lot of time.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I lived with a guy once when we were kids who would inventory everything he had foodwise, etc. and if god forbid you used something (or he THOUGHT you did) he'd deduct it off that month's rent portion that he owed. If you bought common stuff for the house like toilet paper for example, he'd only pay for the cheapest 2 ply and not what you actually spent because it wasn't his problem if you splurged. He worked at Earls and stole tons of dishes and then decided since they "were better" than what we had he had "bought" them for us all to use and deducted his perceived value.

He was literally the worst kind of person ever in so many ways but, somehow, we were friends for a decent enough length of time hahahaha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Love it, beats them thinking you are a fool.
    I swear you get treated better at dealerships (on a personal level), when they realize you are cheap but serious, compared to some sucker that is going to get taken to the cleaners.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Even when I had money I was really cheap/frugal with some things and completely "fuck it" on others (mainly travel destinations during my off-season).

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Fuck, that's so me. I'd have the calculator out checking the per-sponge cost vs surface area and expected longevity. Costco displaying price-per-weight on all their price tags saves me a lot of time.
    That's totally me too

Here's a bad one: I'll buy food when it's on sale, not because I need it, but because I might need it in the future and I don't want to pay more later on. And when it's time to eat it, I'm so stingy with it because I got it at such a good price that I don't want to use it all up and have to pay regular price after. And then of course, it spoils because I took so long to finish it and into the garbage it goes (along with any potential savings I may have had)

My Ride
    K20A2

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    lol i do this all the time
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Oh crap I used to be the cheapest bastard around. Especially for a white guy.

At first it was because I was a college student and literally had to watch every dollar I spent. I remember posting on my cork board that my friend owed me one beer. To me, buying a 6 pack was a luxury I could afford every 3-6 months.

Then even up until a few years ago I was making almost half of what I make now, and I really needed to watch what I spent. I wouldn't say I was "cheap" any more, but I was certainly selective on what I spent my money on.

Now, it's all different. I still like a deal and would consider myself thrifty, but my hand is not so tightly wrapped around my wallet and I actually splurge on things here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    That's totally me too

Here's a bad one: I'll buy food when it's on sale, not because I need it, but because I might need it in the future and I don't want to pay more later on. And when it's time to eat it, I'm so stingy with it because I got it at such a good price that I don't want to use it all up and have to pay regular price after. And then of course, it spoils because I took so long to finish it and into the garbage it goes (along with any potential savings I may have had)
    This happens to us all the time specifically potatoes and jumbo onions. So much cheaper to buy the 5-10lb bags than just a few that you need and about half of it ends up going bad because we don't use it.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Oh crap I used to be the cheapest bastard around. Especially for a white guy.

At first it was because I was a college student and literally had to watch every dollar I spent. I remember posting on my cork board that my friend owed me one beer. To me, buying a 6 pack was a luxury I could afford every 3-6 months.

Then even up until a few years ago I was making almost half of what I make now, and I really needed to watch what I spent. I wouldn't say I was "cheap" any more, but I was certainly selective on what I spent my money on.

Now, it's all different. I still like a deal and would consider myself thrifty, but my hand is not so tightly wrapped around my wallet and I actually splurge on things here and there.
    Yup, inflating your earnings but keeping the same spending (more or less), is a great strategy. I'm trying to do the same.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast