Quantcast
Saw the new 2002 SL55 AMG - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saw the new 2002 SL55 AMG

Talking Saw the new 2002 SL55 AMG

I saw the car on center street by Chinatown, asian guy was driving, silver in color, 492 HP...all I gotta say is it's one sweet ride!

My Ride
    06 RX8 SE

492 HP ?!!!

My Ride
    changes daily :D

damn...that is my all time dream car....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Pulley, ECU, Exhaust, 550hp.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    Pulley, ECU, Exhaust, 550hp.
    how much hp will racegas add?

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

its a friggen expensive 113 US..id buy a new 911 t for that
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    how did you come to that conclusion? Have you driven either car?

My Ride

Originally posted by buh_buh

how did you come to that conclusion? Have you driven either car?
    naw dude..just personal preference...the gt2 was badass when I rode in it and im sure the 911t isnt far off, plus the 911's awd, turbo, a true sports car, the sl55 is nice but not for me
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Expensive? It's $160k cdn. It's the cheapest of the supercars. It does low 12's in the 1/4 on street tires. It pulls harder at speed than a Viper ACR, 911t, 911GT2, Murcielago, any other supercar.

It's the biggest bang for the buck you can get!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Expensive? It's $160k cdn. It's the cheapest of the supercars. It does low 12's in the 1/4 on street tires. It pulls harder at speed than a Viper ACR, 911t, 911GT2, Murcielago, any other supercar.

are you sure about it being 160, motor trend tv stated that it was 113 us...I realise how capable and perfect of a car it is, but damn I didnt realise it could run low 12's..

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

are you sure about it being 160, motor trend tv stated that it was 113 us...I realise how capable and perfect of a car it is, but damn I didnt realise it could run low 12's..
    The base price is $165, lots of options to bring the price up to around the $190 range. One of the mags tested it in June, ran a 12.3@118mph. The euro tests were crazier, from 200-300km/h, it pulled something like 20 seconds on the GT2, 10 seconds on the Murcielago (may not be exact number, but it's in that kind of a range).

The E55 is even faster when it debuts next fall, same motor but 300lbs lighter.

I know you are going to call me a bench racer, but you would be a hypocrite for doing so because you have already given numbers for comparing this car to other.On the track times that I have seen, the 911 Turbo is the faster of the two cars. On the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times the 911 Turbo has been the faster of the two. But I'm sure we have seen different stats.

And in my opinion, the best bang for the buck you can get is the Corvette Z06, the Mustang SVT Cobra, and the TVR Tuscan Speed Six.
    Last edited by turkeysilk; 10-03-2002 at 10:12 PM.

My Ride

iyes the porsche is faster on lap times but they are both 2 very different cars built for different purposes. Discussing lap times is not really the best way to examine the capabilities of a vehicle because there are so many other factors that come into play. I was surprised to see read from rage that the sl55 ran a 12.3, i thought it was in the high 12's low 13's. so rage would you rather have the sl 55 amg over the 911t?

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    changes daily :D

i know that i would in a heartbeat....

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    I know you are going to call me a bench racer, but you would be a hypocrite for doing so because you have already given numbers for comparing this car to other.On the track times that I have seen, the 911 Turbo is the faster of the two cars. On the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times the 911 Turbo has been the faster of the two. But I'm sure we have seen different stats.
    There's no doubt in my mind that the 911 GT2 is faster at most tracks than the SL55 AMG. The SL55 weighs in at over 4100lbs... weight is your enemy in corners, even with all the ABC, ESP, and other gizmos in the car.

As for the straight line speed test, it was a comparo of the cars, same day, same stretch of road, etc. The SL55 killed everyone by a huge margin, making it awesome for races on the street . It wasn't too quick off the line, but the 100-200 and the 200-300 times were amazing. And yes, there's varying #'s for the SL55. This months Car and Driver had it at 13.0@110mph... that's the same speed they got in the SLK 32. Fairly sure the SL 55 rapes the SLK 32 by a huge margin.

The only reason for choosing this car over the 911 GT2 would be because of the convertible factor, as well as the one button hardtop feature. It wouldn't be a very impressive track car, but it'd make a killer daily driver.

Originally posted by turkeysilk
    And in my opinion, the best bang for the buck you can get is the Corvette Z06, the Mustang SVT Cobra, and the TVR Tuscan Speed Six.
    True, if you're looking at the 400hp club. 400hp just isn't enough for me anymore unfortunately...

My Ride
    BMW E70

I'd definately take the Benz

Tuner1 is offline Tunerworks Guru (E36S50B32)
    My Ride
    ///MPower, 4x4, Bianchi & Trek

As for the straight line speed test, it was a comparo of the cars, same day, same stretch of road, etc. The SL55 killed everyone by a huge margin, making it awesome for races on the street...
    The SL55 is an amazing car! One of the finest on the planet. I must add a few things. I have driven an SL55 and it is blistering fast, even off the line. I also can't believe what a loud and aggressive exhaust note it has, considering it is a Benz, not a 'Vette! I want one The SL55 tested against all the "supercars" by a European magazine turned out to be a *special* test version from AMG with around 525HP, not the standard 493HP. Granted this isn't going to make a huge difference but I will reserve judgment on the SL55 vs. GT2 race until it is tried again...but I'd be happy with either car

Rob

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The story behind the SL55 "469hp engine" in that euro test was that the engines were initially underrated by MB. They dyno'd it and used a 20% factor for the auto and calculated out 525hp. MB/AMG then bench tested a bunch of engines, and upped the rating to 493hp. No changes were made to the engine, just that testing showed the minimum seen was 493hp therefore the revised rating. The euro test also had a "special SL55", ECU had no speed limit, and used special tires that can do over 200mph on a 4500lb car. US cars are 155mph limited, euro 180mph (around there anyways). Meaning production GT2's will outrun production SL55's due to the limiter anyways hehe.

The rumors of a power bump after the first few months due to E55 being faster are simply untrue as well. They just retested and put out a new number, engines are all identical in spec.

I'm still waiting for my SL55 ride...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast