Quantcast
Anyone commuting from Crossfield? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone commuting from Crossfield?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Default Anyone commuting from Crossfield?

Wife is 90% of the way to getting a cushy government gig in Red Deer, and im progressing well at my place in Calgary... our current compromise is Crossfield as im pretty sure any career growth at my end will crash if I ask to work remotely.. So we're looking part of the way..

Thoughts on this? Seem like better/bigger homes for the same price, but obviously going to be going from 30 minutes of commuting daily, to an hour (on the best of days).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, on your way into calgary, there's no traffic to worry about until south of Airdrie, so Crossfield, Carstairs, Didsbury are all about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

While I have no solid opinion on any of these towns, I'd figure Olds would be the nicest and give you the best flexibility on eventual resale.

Crossfield, Carstairs, Didsbury... bleh. Olds is twice the size, which isn't saying much, but at least has some modern amenities. And has its own town owned fibre line IIRC.

However, I don't know where you work. If you are on the south end of Calgary working, then I'd be looking more at Airdrie (better resale, larger community, better amenities, etc). It's easy to blast to Red Deer in under 1 hour from Airdrie, but getting to the south end of Calgary is a fucking gongshow even on a good day.

My 2 cents.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I’m off Blackfoot and 42

I commute from Water Valley so I come out onto the deerfoot North of Crossfield but south of Carstairs. Driving the speed limit exactly, from the entrance off the 292 on to Deerfoot going to McKnight and deerfoot takes about 25 minutes with not traffic back up.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    ...but obviously going to be going from 30 minutes of commuting daily, to an hour (on the best of days).
    No comments on the towns, but my wife commuted Calgary to Canmore daily for 4 years. Wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't worry about the 30mins to ~1hr.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'd commute an hour to work in Canmore as well!

it was a half hour bike ride in today, that i will miss..

Crap, I just can't get past 'commutting'.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'd commute an hour to work in Canmore as well!
    Have thought about this too but fuck, that's so much driving and even the Calgary-Canmore drive would get really boring after awhile. Driving it in the winter time would suck. And I can't remember who said it awhile ago but you'd be driving into the sun going to work and back home!

Waking up the mountains every morning would be epic though.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Have thought about this too but fuck, that's so much driving and even the Calgary-Canmore drive would get really boring after awhile. Driving it in the winter time would suck. And I can't remember who said it awhile ago but you'd be driving into the sun going to work and back home!

Waking up the mountains every morning would be epic though.
    I drive about 50min to 1 hour one way every day from Water Valley and I really don't mind it at all, and in fact I even enjoy it most of the time. I read a lot normally and now have gotten into audio books, so now it gives me an extra couple hours a day to squeeze in more books. The drive through the country is very pleasant and when I roll into my property in the forest and I am watching deer and birds and moose while having my morning coffee or evening scotch, the last thing I am concerned with is my commute. I wouldn't trade it for a baller home in the city ever!

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I drive about 50min to 1 hour one way every day from Water Valley and I really don't mind it at all, and in fact I even enjoy it most of the time. I read a lot normally and now have gotten into audio books, so now it gives me an extra couple hours a day to squeeze in more books. The drive through the country is very pleasant and when I roll into my property in the forest and I am watching deer and birds and moose while having my morning coffee or evening scotch, the last thing I am concerned with is my commute. I wouldn't trade it for a baller home in the city ever!
    This is my commute too...mostly being highway makes it way better. An hour on the highway is way better than 1/2 an hour in the city!

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

it was a half hour bike ride in today, that i will miss..
    Have you thought about parking somewhere along the deerfoot pathway and riding the rest of the way?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Have you thought about parking somewhere along the deerfoot pathway and riding the rest of the way?
    That will probably be what i do. We're looking a lot more at airdrie now, just due to resale and time on market. Crossfield can get a heck of a home for less money, but i feel we'd be stuck in the thing forever (as who wants to move to crossfield except retirees from the farm). If we're in airdrie, i can do the drive/bike combo, and then once a week do the full bike in.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

What about your wife doing the commute to Red Deer from Airdrie tho? Shit gets nasty in the winter (as in people die on QEII when the highway has 'one of those days') around the Carstairs to Innisfail area. I give it a year before your wife is pushing for a full move to Red Deer.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If it has one of those days, work says she can work from home.. zero chance we're moving to red deer as my career goes bye bye

My Ride
    KTM

That will probably be what i do. We're looking a lot more at airdrie now, just due to resale and time on market. Crossfield can get a heck of a home for less money, but i feel we'd be stuck in the thing forever (as who wants to move to crossfield except retirees from the farm). If we're in airdrie, i can do the drive/bike combo, and then once a week do the full bike in.
    I park off of 64 ave and ride in, I actually prefer only doing half the distance so I can jog at lunch and not be exhausted. (dont park at the mall, they will tow you)

Also interested on the route you plan to take from Airdrie, there is no decent connecting path. Would love to do the same from time to time but its seems pretty sketchy!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ya we'll see when i get to that point. Looks like there's a decent parking lot of 96th ave that has a fresh path up to near it on nose creek pathway.

the full way in does look kind of like hell, only real way is through harvest hills but not sure i want to do that

How about parking at the Dog park just below T&T, I have done that a few times.. Easy ride downtown.

My Ride
    KTM

Quote Originally Posted by silvercivicsir View Post
    How about parking at the Dog park just below T&T, I have done that a few times.. Easy ride downtown.
    Always see broken windows down there. I would maybe consider that depending on the time of year and available sunlight.....