Quantcast
2018 Golf Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Three years ago I got a "coach's pass" at Eaglequest Golf Dome during the off season, I think it was $500 ish. This included ten 30 minute lessons with Brent Grossart and unlimited range time at the Dome. It's a bit of a dump, dungey and kinda dirty but it really helped my game because he taught me fundamentals and then I just practiced over and over again. Then each subsequent session we would focus on a different club or strategies etc. My handicap is now ~20 and I feel like I can improve more on short game/putting but on the tee box and around the fairway I'm getting more comfortable.

My Ride
    V8s

Got out for my first 9 today. After rebuilding my swing over the last couple months, so now I hit a stock draw instead of fade, I still wound up shooting a 41 with some mediocre putting. Very happy with that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Beats my 114 this morning.

But I didn’t connect with my driver all round it was embarrassing.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

114 is my territory, or in fact, something I normally beat by two or three strokes. I haven't golfed a real round in two years, probably haven't shaved any strokes in that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had a really rough start and cleaned it up a bit over time.

Will see how tomorrow morning goes if my legs aren’t jello.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Toughen up bro
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I had a really rough start and cleaned it up a bit over time.

Will see how tomorrow morning goes if my legs aren’t jello.
    You don't carry, do you? I stopped carrying last year, best decision ever haha. Old man push cart all the way.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just a push yup. Couple nasty hills at VR. Tomorrow might take a cart for the back.

fact.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Well I just realized I have a tee time for 2 players at Kananaskis this Sunday around 10am. It looks like I won't be able to make it so in case anyone here would like to take it over send me a pm. I did have to put a $50 deposit so please be fine with sending me this via interac email transfer if you would like to play Kananaskis on its opening weekend. Weather report is looking great out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    You don't carry, do you? I stopped carrying last year, best decision ever haha. Old man push cart all the way.

Even when I was younger and in shape I hated carrying at about hole 16/17. Especially because I never ponied up for a really nice super light bag and between a few gatorades/bug spray/sun screen and enough balls to manage an ugly ass round it can get heavy.

Old man tourtrek push cart for the win. I laughed first round with Nam, matching cars and push carts
    I try to keep golf carting < 5 rounds a year and its only when my dad or buddies all give me shit about it. I much prefer getting the walk in.

I booked some group lessons through the National Golf Academy at the Dome. $200 for four 90-minute lessons, seemed to be pretty good. Group size is 6 which didn't seem too bad.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I booked some group lessons through the National Golf Academy at the Dome. $200 for four 90-minute lessons, seemed to be pretty good. Group size is 6 which didn't seem too bad.
    That's a great place to start. I find the most efficient lessons are pairs (i.e. my wife and I). Pro teaches you something, gets you to repeat a few times, then spends a few minutes with the other person while you practise it, rinse and repeat. Won't be quite as efficient with 6 people at a time, but it's definitely a great way to cut down on cost.

That's a great place to start. I find the most efficient lessons are pairs (i.e. my wife and I). Pro teaches you something, gets you to repeat a few times, then spends a few minutes with the other person while you practise it, rinse and repeat. Won't be quite as efficient with 6 people at a time, but it's definitely a great way to cut down on cost.
    Yeah I wanted to start on the cheaper side just to make sure I was getting something out of it before paying for 1on1 or 1on2. I picked the beginner lessons because even though I obviously know how to play, I'm sure there are some very basic things I am not doing properly contributing to me being generally bad at golf haha. Also since it's at the Dome, it will hopefully be easy to stay after the lesson and practice what I learned that day.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah I wanted to start on the cheaper side just to make sure I was getting something out of it before paying for 1on1 or 1on2. I picked the beginner lessons because even though I obviously know how to play, I'm sure there are some very basic things I am not doing properly contributing to me being generally bad at golf haha. Also since it's at the Dome, it will hopefully be easy to stay after the lesson and practice what I learned that day.
    Makes sense.

Just something to keep in mind that you might run the risk of with a beginner group lesson. The golf swing is a VERY individual thing. If at any point, your instructor says "everybody here should do x,y,z" (regarding grip, stance, etc), you should basically ask for your money back, IMO. What works for you will more than likely not work for your neighbour. If you have time, google "pitfalls of style based golf instruction" or something. There's plenty online about it.

My Ride
    VAG products

Makes sense.

Just something to keep in mind that you might run the risk of with a beginner group lesson. The golf swing is a VERY individual thing. If at any point, your instructor says "everybody here should do x,y,z" (regarding grip, stance, etc), you should basically ask for your money back, IMO. What works for you will more than likely not work for your neighbour. If you have time, google "pitfalls of style based golf instruction" or something. There's plenty online about it.
    I think this is pretty accurate - I did a group lesson about 3 years ago and it was an everybody should do x y z style of lessons, but because it was cheap I took the lessons as a loose guideline for tips and pointers and learned more with practice and youtube vids.

Thanks.

Currently my swing is kind of like this:

1) Draw back
    2) Begin Swing
    3) Half way through swing, the idea will pop into my head that this could be an amazing hit, so I death grip the club and finish the swing as hard as I can
    4) Put massive divet in the grass, or hit the ball 90 degrees to my intended target

Rinse & repeat haha. I actually can hit a driver not too bad, though I often need help aiming - what I think is straight is rarely lined up properly. But that is such a small part of golf, I can't hit an iron and that is where I really need to improve. I just want consistency.

The other issue I have is a psychological one. One time, I hit the ground so hard I injured my hand for ~6 months (probably wasn't holding the club correctly either). Now, I have a natural tendency to pull up just before impact to avoid the same injury, and I end up "topping" the ball with most of the iron hits I make. So I need to learn to not try and kill the ball, and to get confidence back that I won't smash the club into the ground.

^

Have you thought about buying alignment sticks to practice with? would probably help you a lot at the range which will carry over to the course.

That and I would suggest that if you have some spare time to watch some of the videos of channels, such as these guys https://www.youtube.com/user/meandmygolf

I often watch videos from a few users during off season of if I can find one on something that I am having issues with, then after that is just about getting to the range and spending time to try and fix.

Alignment sticks look handy. I have done a similar thing just by putting a couple of my clubs down, but I don't always have time if there are people behind me. Often I think I'm lined up and then someone will let me know that I am aiming way off into the trees

I will also check out some YouTube stuff, thanks - it seems to be good for everything else, so it's probably quite useful for Golf too.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Just using alignment sticks at the range will be a big help. Learning how to square yourself up to the ball(shoulders and stance) is a skill that's not really taught, but essential to hitting shots on target. Having a pre-shot routine sounds lame, but it's an easy way to make sure you are lined up properly, before you even start your backswing.

Alignment sticks look handy. I have done a similar thing just by putting a couple of my clubs down, but I don't always have time if there are people behind me. Often I think I'm lined up and then someone will let me know that I am aiming way off into the trees

I will also check out some YouTube stuff, thanks - it seems to be good for everything else, so it's probably quite useful for Golf too.
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes and grab the reflective fiberglass rods used for driveway markers. They're pretty much the same thing as tour sticks but just $4.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast