Quantcast
2018 Tow Rig Thread - ExtraSlow does it again! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Tow Rig Thread - ExtraSlow does it again!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default 2018 Tow Rig Thread - ExtraSlow does it again!

Everyone has had fun the last few years with these, only partly at my expense, so I'll start a thread for this year too.

Had been trying to make it make sense to buy a one year old F150, and had a good deal lined up through a family member, but in the end, it's crazy for an unemployed guy to be spending 30k+ on a vehicle.

Next thought was that I really hated the under $10,000 world of trucks, because you have to buy something with problems, or something 12+ years old, or something with insanely high mileage, or in many cases, more than one of those. Also, since the only thing I use this truck for is towing, and I always have four people plus firewood, generator, and other gear in the bed, plus tongue weight anticipated to be 900 lbs, I'm usually at or over the payload rating of a half-ton truck. So a 3/4 ton makes a lot of sense.

So, looking for a 3/4 (or 1 ton) crew cab 4x4 truck, 2008 or newer if GMC/Chev, and 2011 or newer if Ford. I hate Ram, so no dice there. Gasoline engines only. Must have no body damage, or at least no insurance claims for body damage or hail, since I'm the guy who loves to make hail claims.

Saw a few obvious ex-fleet Fords that looked decent, although all very low-spec and I could smell the smoke right through the kijiji ads. The more appealing Ford were past the $20k mark, which seemed like a lot. I'm a "ford guy", so I really wanted to be able to talk myself into a blue oval, but just couldn't find anything that clicked.

Despite my Ford Fanboyism, I do admit that the GMC 6.0L gas engine is very sweet when paired with the 6-sped transmission in the 2008+ GMT9000 trucks. See my thread from two years ago about my glorious CCLB hutterite truck.

So I stalked Kijiji, and all the auction listings for a few weeks, and I found my baby this week.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCSB. has the 4.10 gears, trailering package with the big mirrors and Trailer Brake Control, black leather heated seats and interior, basically "Enrichii loaded", everything except the sunroof as far as I know. Never been smoked in, one owner since new and it's a extremely anal engineer who gave me a spreadsheet of all the maintenance history along with the invoices. 221,000kms, but a lot of highway back and fort to a vacation property near Fernie. Guy is a real Chevy fan, he owns two other Chev trucks. I'm not normally one for Black paint, but I liked everything else enough that I can overlook it. Pretty when it's clean anyway.

Name:  20180420_182104.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  150.0 KB
    Name:  20180420_182054.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  96.0 KB
    Name:  20180420_182135.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  160.7 KB

Not sure I have the energy to flip trucks every year in perpetuity, but hey, we'll see how I feel later in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Very nice!

For an unemployed guy, you still appear to spend a fair amount of money.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Well, depends how you look at it. The last two years tow rigs have been money making propositions for me, and this one may be the same, if I sell it.

I have a cash-flow shortages, not a capital shortage . . . .
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Canyonero

Well bought, looks like a great rig

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Funny thing is, being unemployed buying cheaper trucks he’s likely better off financially than most here with jobs leasing trucks/cars they can’t afford

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Funny thing is, being unemployed buying cheaper trucks he’s likely better off financially than most here with jobs leasing trucks/cars they can’t afford
    I've been lucky with the hail claims, but even without them my costs for trucks for the last two summers is very low.

I don't know if I'm smart enough to curb trucks on a higher frequency, although the thought has crossed my mind. Might expose me to too much risk though.

Anyway, it's a useful discussion about financial planning, costs of certain lifestyles, and living within your means. I don't hold myself up as a model in any of these areas. But I don't mind being open about my situation and choices in the hopes that it can be helpful to others.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Nice buy. And rust in the usual GM places (bottom of the gate, rear quarters above the wheels, leading edge of the roof)?

My Ride
    K-car

Use for the summer sell in the states=profit!

Funny enough guys in the US love 3/4 ton Gas Chevy/GMC's.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

thats a really nice truck. nice job!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Nice buy. And rust in the usual GM places (bottom of the gate, rear quarters above the wheels, leading edge of the roof)?
    Bottom of gate is clean, one rock chip above windshield that is starting to rust, barely. Nothing on rear quarters.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Its because of those running boards. They look awful, but they prevent gm trucks from disintegrating into rust heaps. Even tubular bars help a ton. Enginerd you bough from knew what was up.

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Its because of those running boards. They look awful, but they prevent gm trucks from disintegrating into rust heaps. Even tubular bars help a ton. Enginerd you bough from knew what was up.
    Running board do absolutely nothing to prevent rust on the wheel wells though. They helped on the older trucks that were prone to rocker rust. These newer style have no exposed rockers, much like the super duty fords from this era. Still, they do help against all the gravel that pecks away at the paint on the door bottoms.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Without trying to look up the info, are these a 5 or 6 speed trans? If 6 how do you like the 4:10 rear end? I had a ford with 4:10 and I hated it
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Six speed. From what I recall gmc went from the very reliable 4 speed in 2007 to the also well regarded 6 speed in 2008.

I haven't done much driving yet, but the 4.10 gears would be the deepest option as far as I know, and probably a bad choice unless you are towing, as I am. You can for sure notice the higher rpm around town, but, I have the Honda Fit for getting groceries.

I know the ford's had five speeds for a while, so maybe the 4.10 gears would be worse in the highway with the five speed vs six speed.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 04-21-2018 at 07:44 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Six speed. From what I recall gmc went from the very reliable 4 speed in 2007 to the also well regarded 6 speed in 2008.

I haven't done much driving yet, but the 4.10 gears would be the deepest option as far as I know, and probably a bad choice unless you are towing, as I am. You can for sure notice the higher rpm around town, but, I have the Honda Fit for getting groceries.

I know the ford's had five speeds for a while, so maybe the 4.10 gears would be worse in the highway with the five speed vs six speed.
    I've got a 4.10 in my work truck (17 GMC 2500, 6.0 and 6 speed auto same as you). I get 16-20L/100km with it at ~120km/hr, according to the dash display. So it's not as hideous as you might think, and I agree it should be better for towing than a 3.73.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Name:  20180420_182054.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  96.0 KB
    Nice truck!

Great buy! that's a very nice looking truck.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Great buy! that's a very nice looking truck.
    it looks great... and I think it has everything you want in a truck PLUS that motor is far from tired.

Even when compared to the to the other HD gassers, the 6.0 may not be the most powerful but may be more durable than even the Ford 6.2 or Ram 6.4, so 220,000KM is nothing and being that the block has been around so long, repairs/maintenance is cheap

Also being IFS and a reasonably new body style, it really is a modern truck that drives well too boot

I reckon you may just end up keeping this one

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am pretty tired of selling them every year. But if I was daily driving a truck I'd probably prefer a half ton.

Need to rotate the tires and see if they quiet down. Otherwise I'll be on the hunt for some used tires soon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast