Quantcast
Tell Me What Camera to Buy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me What Camera to Buy

My Ride
    V8s

Default Tell Me What Camera to Buy

Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting our first kid any day now, and she has mentioned a few times that she'd like a decent camera... something that will take better photos than our cell phones. I'd like to surprise her with something.

I have zero idea about photography. She has zero idea about photography. Her mom has some kind of Canon DSLR that both of us like, but I couldn't tell you what it is, or what lenses she has for it.

So what are we looking for? No idea. I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting a full size DSLR, but not entirely against it either. I quite like the idea of the smaller ones (mini DSLR?) that have a full size sensor, and you still have the ability to swap out different lenses, etc.

Not a specific budget in mind... looking to prioritize good value over low price. Not looking to spend $4k on something though either.

Looking forward to hearing anyones 2c on this topic, so at least I have a direction to start googling (aside from Best DSLR 2018 haha)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi All,

My wife and I are expecting our first kid any day now, and she has mentioned a few times that she'd like a decent camera... something that will take better photos than our cell phones. I'd like to surprise her with something.

I have zero idea about photography. She has zero idea about photography. Her mom has some kind of Canon DSLR that both of us like, but I couldn't tell you what it is, or what lenses she has for it.

So what are we looking for? No idea. I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting a full size DSLR, but not entirely against it either. I quite like the idea of the smaller ones (mini DSLR?) that have a full size sensor, and you still have the ability to swap out different lenses, etc.

Not a specific budget in mind... looking to prioritize good value over low price. Not looking to spend $4k on something though either.

Looking forward to hearing anyones 2c on this topic, so at least I have a direction to start googling (aside from Best DSLR 2018 haha)
    Get an entry-level DSLR from Nikon or Canon and a couple of universal use lenses. Most of the time, leaving the camera on auto will yield a good picture, and having a few lenses to use will let you take advantage of different perspectives/etc. You know this.

An entry-level camera + lens kit from either brand can be found for less than $750 (includes camera body, battery, lens).

Don't make the mistake of underbuying. Entry-level DSLR will be very versatile and last a long time, even if just for basic use. And, should either of you find you have an interest/knack for it, it will empower your creativity and extend how long you can use it before running into limitations.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm going to make your life simple and easy. Buy this:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10509382.aspx?

Fantastic auto focus and low life performance. For what you need, this thing will last a very long time.
    Ultracrepidarian

love my Sony A6000. its small like the camera above, but takes fantastic photos!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Dunno if Costco still does dslr kits but that’s what I did and set me up pretty good.

Congrats btw.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I'm going to make your life simple and easy. Buy this:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10509382.aspx?

Fantastic auto focus and low life performance. For what you need, this thing will last a very long time.
    Low life performance, popular in the NE then?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by EnRichii View Post
    love my Sony A6000. its small like the camera above, but takes fantastic photos!
    http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/sony-...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Body + 16-50mm + 55-210mm

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/acce...03847230431029

Body + 16-50mm

A6000 is pretty good bang for the bucks comparable to the entry level kit like Nikon D5500 or Canon T7i that would be in the $1000 range with kit lens. It's more portable but you need to carry a few spare batteries if you take a lot of shots for the day. You choose Nikon and Canon basically for the lens selection. A6000 do have some other lens available but not much.

RX100 is a fixed lens point and shoot that doesn't need much tinkering. All 5 gens are available today and each gen is more expensive than the previous.

And if you are serious about the hobby then look into what's next.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-21-2018 at 09:39 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven’t touched my dslr in over a year. I’ve been shooting all my kids with my iPhone. As long as there’s enough light, the quality is impressive. Only time I want to use dslr would be in low light settings, or if I want to print enlargements. With the iPhone X all my bokeh shots are covered too. You’re capturing way more moments with a cell phone than a dslr, unless you’re lugging it around everywhere.

Actually even low light ain’t too shabby. Wouldn’t look terrible printed at 4x6.

Name:  1E96FDA3-07C6-4680-BD31-E0353F34F81E.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  66.7 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Unless you have a strong desire to swap lenses all the time, dslr is just too large. One of the high quality compact models is a better idea, because you'll bring it with you more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I made this desicion just last week too - DSLR or a serious P/S - after I destroyed my last P/S (RX 100 mk4)

I also ended up getting the RX100 V. It has a crap ton of features and very good manual modes, which one should master first before getting a DSLR.... IMO.

The biggest factor was portability though. Carrying around a body and lenses is not very good for what I do when on vacation (eco tourism) and for our son, it has been great for videos as wel.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think using a DSLR is mostly about the fun of using it.

If you thinking using a dslr is a pain, and you just want to take pictures I agree with rage just use an iPhone.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Goes without saying that there will be a pile of cell phone pics, but she's gonna be a stay at home mom, so this could be a good opportunity to introduce her to a new hobby. For the next couple years at least, we don't really need super-portability, and for some reason I just don't like the idea of spending >$1k on a point and shoot haha. Top contenders right now are A6000 or Nikon D3400 package.

Thanks for all the responses, keep em coming.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Small DSLR (or mirrorless) is way to go, since you will carry lots of baby stuffs anyway, a compact zoom DC may save you 1lb or 2 from the 30lb baby stuffs.

Get a fast lens, like 35mm 1.8....
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I second the motion to just use a good cell phone camera like the iPhone X or the S9.

If you are having your first kid, sharing the photos is so much easier when it is already on your phone. Transferring, editing and filtering through photos after the fact will never be done.

Also, with my iPhone, my photos get backed up to iCloud automagically and I never have to worry about storing them someplace and worrying about losing them.

I almost bough a 5D mkIV in Japan when I was there, but came to my senses. I have a 5D mkIII and never use it. I have $15K in lenses that just collect dust.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any android phone should have automatic photo backup and the Samsung editing software is plenty good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Goes without saying that there will be a pile of cell phone pics, but she's gonna be a stay at home mom, so this could be a good opportunity to introduce her to a new hobby. For the next couple years at least, we don't really need super-portability, and for some reason I just don't like the idea of spending >$1k on a point and shoot haha. Top contenders right now are A6000 or Nikon D3400 package.

Thanks for all the responses, keep em coming.
    http://cameradecision.com/compare/So...vs-Nikon-D3400

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I haven’t touched my dslr in over a year. I’ve been shooting all my kids with my iPhone. As long as there’s enough light, the quality is impressive. Only time I want to use dslr would be in low light settings, or if I want to print enlargements. With the iPhone X all my bokeh shots are covered too. You’re capturing way more moments with a cell phone than a dslr, unless you’re lugging it around everywhere.

Actually even low light ain’t too shabby. Wouldn’t look terrible printed at 4x6.
    this, I tend to shoot with my Iphone X most of the time now, but as a photo junkie I still prefer having an actual camera with me.
    I wouldn't hesitate printing my Iphone X shots up to 8x10, anything bigger and it would be pushing it for me.

if you want to take some candid portrait shots of your baby, pick any entry level camera and stick the native 50mm 1.8 lens for that system.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

No one has mentioned it, but some of these p/s cameras do video very well too .... personally I prefer video to photos. Video captures the moment 1000x better. 60fps is great for kids.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-23-2018 at 08:28 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    this, I tend to shoot with my Iphone X most of the time now, but as a photo junkie I still prefer having an actual camera with me.
    I wouldn't hesitate printing my Iphone X shots up to 8x10, anything bigger and it would be pushing it for me.
    Something that nobody has mentioned, probably better to invest in an intro photography course than to invest in a camera. That will yield way better results by improving the finger behind the camera than improving the camera itself.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    No one has mentioned it, but some of these p/s cameras do video very well too .... personally I prefer video to photos. Video captures the moment 1000x better. 60fps is great for kids.
    I've been making video compilations over music for our vacations for the last 4 years. Super popular with the kids, they still regularly watch the videos a couple times a month.

This is going to sound like an Apple commercial, but the latest iPhones does 4K/60 and our last vacation looks absolutely stunning in 4K. I typically have everyone on vacation with us with iPhones shooting whatever clips they can manage, transfer them to my phone over Airdrop for full quality at the end of the day, and edit it all on iMovie right off the phone. By breakfast, I'm showing compilation in progress, and the kids will all beg for video clips through the next day.

The downside to all this is to make sure you choose a song you don't like, because I'm sick of so many songs now that the kids watch our vacations on repeat.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t think this is all to say that using a DSLR doesn’t have value as a hobby. Just that you don’t need a 1000 dollar dedicated camera to capture the moment anymore.

If your wife is interested in it as a hobby I would still recommend just picking up a DSLR kit bundle of some kind from whatever brand you intend to stick with the most. If you get really into it the bodies can be sold for reasonable salvage and if you stay with the same brand your lens investment doesn’t become worthless for the most part.

Personally, I loved my Canon. Though I don’t use it as much as I would like because I find using an SLR becomes a dedicated task in and of itself and takes over whatever you are doing. When you are travelling with it you are spending all your time thinking of angles, lighting. Cool perspectives and you aren’t really enjoying what you are doing and experiencing in the moment.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-23-2018 at 01:10 PM.

fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast