Quantcast
WTF happened to all the oil in my wife's car? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF happened to all the oil in my wife's car?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default WTF happened to all the oil in my wife's car?

So I bought my wife a 2013 Nissan Juke back before the winter, I changed the oil shortly after with Mobil 1 Synthetic+ oil filter. The car has a 1.6 L Turbo in it. It's now 10,000km since and I go to check her oil and it's so low that nothing is even registering on the dipstick (just a bit at the very end of the stick), I go to change her oil and sure enough, maybe like 2 litres (if even that) come out....do turbos burn oil or something? I've never noticed any leaks or smoke coming from her car...

I did a quick search on reddit and someone on there said that it's normal for newer cars to burn oil?

I've never encountered this before and I have owned tons of 03-2012ish vehicles...and the ones that had dropping oil levels were due to visible leaks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...o_to_burn_oil/

"1 year ago
    Many new cars burn oil. Up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is considered normal.

This is a result of lighter weight oils and looser machining tolerances to reduce friction and increase fuel economy. In fact most oils now also have a vastly reduced ZDDP (zinc) levels so as to not impact emissions equipment when so much of it ends up getting burned and sent out the engine.

However, it's preferably to not wait for the light to come on - check levels more often if possible."
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 04-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.

How many Km’s on the engine?

Not checking the oil in 10,000kms is pretty risky. I check oil once a week. All my vehicles burn a bit of oil between changes but I’d say only about half a quart in 5000kms so the consumption on your juke seems a bit high. If you’re over 100k though the turbo seals might just be starting their degradation.

FYI that quote is kind of silly “preferable to not wait for the light to come on”. Most oil pressure lights are set to come on at extremely low oil pressures (sub 10 psi). If your oil pressure light comes on you’ve already done irreparable engine damage.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I hope that you are aware of the Juke engine issues. Not sure of oil consumption is a symptom of things to come, but thats something I would be watching carefully. Turbos always consume a touch more oil than a N/A vehicle, but hard to gauge whats excessive.

This could also be due to a gentle, initial break in. The rings dont seal properly and can cause enough blow by to create an oil consuming engine.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I wasn't aware actually...fuck, I bought this car from the first owner, you guessed it, a woman who barely drive it, it's at 86,000km now, 2013 model, ya I'll have to keep an eye on it...

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

What kind of engine problems with the Juke? I googled it and found nothing...

If the turbo is leaking into the exhaust, you'll see blue smoke. If it's leaking into the intact tract, you'll see residue inside the piping.
    dv/dt

Definitely not normal for a new car to lose that much oil.

Check your drive way for oil spots. If it's all over your driveway, you've got a leak. If not, fill it back up and watch for any puffs of blue smoke especially under heavy load.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Definitely not normal for a new car to lose that much oil.
    This is completely false. As stated, 1 litre per 1000km's is what a lot of manufacturers say is the maximum acceptable consumption. You have to think, it was only a decade or so ago that long-interval oil changes were considered 5,000kms with a standard oil change being done every 3,000kms.

Easy way to slow it (especially if dealing with a turbo motor, which puts extra heat into the oil) is to run the next heavier weight of oil. And then still make sure to check. I bet the capacity of that car is 5L or less, so really, the car is only using 200ml of oil every 1,000km, well within modern day specs.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Ya, manual says 4.3 without a filter change... This car would be a nightmare for a single woman to own lol I don't even bother telling my wife to baby the turbo when the engine is cold or let it run for bit after coming home because I know she won't remember... God forbid she even had to check the oil every now and then.. I've driven behind her a few times and haven't noticed smoke, so knock on wood, hopefully it's somewhat normal.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 04-24-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    ...I don't even bother telling my wife to baby the turbo when the engine is cold or let it run for bit after coming home because I know she won't remember..
    Well if it makes you feel any better, modern turbos don't need that anyway. Water cooling means you don't have to idle down any longer than it takes to park the car and turn it off.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

I do see a lot of AWD Jukes on the road. May be people want AWD and the vehicle is small to their liking.

My Ride

Just make sure the timing chain recall was done - otherwise these engines can grenade themselves.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    Well if it makes you feel any better, modern turbos don't need that anyway. Water cooling means you don't have to idle down any longer than it takes to park the car and turn it off.
    And even then, that really only used to be an issue if you were into boost .... eg driving up hill on highway #1 in the mountains and then immediately turning off the engine at a rest stop. The average city driver doesn't have a lot to fear.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This is completely false. As stated, 1 litre per 1000km's is what a lot of manufacturers say is the maximum acceptable consumption. You have to think, it was only a decade or so ago that long-interval oil changes were considered 5,000kms with a standard oil change being done every 3,000kms.

Easy way to slow it (especially if dealing with a turbo motor, which puts extra heat into the oil) is to run the next heavier weight of oil. And then still make sure to check. I bet the capacity of that car is 5L or less, so really, the car is only using 200ml of oil every 1,000km, well within modern day specs.
    Yea, pretty normal these days. Mostly Audi/BMW are the biggest offenders.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm

The worst are BMW V8's because they're never driven hard, and never broken in properly.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

This really shouldn't happen to small hp engines, as it'll be pushed fairly hard against it's limits when driving/passing on highways.

Another reason why you should hard breakin your cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Certainly not a new car, but my wife had an early 2000's Corolla and it consumed oil like a pig. In fact, she blew the original engine because she assumed it would have oil up to the next oil change. (Even though I taught her how to check the oil. Grrrr).

Anyway, there was no sign of smoke of any sort, nor any drops on the driveway or even sweating on any of the seals. It simply... consumed it.

Now we're talking about a newer vehicle, but the point remains the same.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

All good to know, in a few years when I get really old I'll be looking into the newer Infinitis fitted with twin turbos

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    And even then, that really only used to be an issue if you were into boost .... eg driving up hill on highway #1 in the mountains and then immediately turning off the engine at a rest stop. The average city driver doesn't have a lot to fear.
    Even with that, modern turbos are designed to circulate coolant when they are off and hot. It uses convection ("thermal siphoning") to draw coolant through the turbo until it cools.

It's not the 1980's anymore, the design has come a long way.

My Ride
    LNF

I am surprised that with you being a NissanFanBoy that you have never experienced this before.

My dad has owned 4 Nissans, all different variations of the VQ V6 and every one of them has consistently burned 1qt every 3k.

I have just always gotten in to the habit of checking my oil every time that I fill my washer fluid (once per monthish).

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I have seen a little bit of dropping oil levels in my current VQs as well as past ones but it's been pretty minor, I just changed the oil in my Z after 10,000km and the oil was still just above the low indicator and the car has 158,000km on it...I changed the oil in my G37 at 223,000km and it's at 226,000 right now and it looks like it hasn't lost any at all... And all my other VQs had insane km, over 250,000 so I was using dinosaur oil and changing at 5,000km anyways..

Yeah I’d say it’s normal. Was shocked to see the oil light on my q5 light up only 5 months after I got an oil change. Called up the service dept and they said it’s normal and that I should just add a quart to hold me over until the next service

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast