Quantcast
David Suzuki Honored by UofA - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: David Suzuki Honored by UofA

Default David Suzuki Honored by UofA

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:39 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

Beyond cruise to meet and boo hiss his ass

I think its absolutely disgusting. Plus I think David Suzuki is a complete hypocrite. like Leonardo DiCaprio.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

“The conferral of an honorary degree by the University of Alberta is not a signal of institutional agreement with any individual perspective,” the U of A post said.
    I can assure you they've never given an honorary degree to someone who has done proper climate research that disagrees with his perspective. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

“Dr. Suzuki is being awarded an honorary degree for the breadth of his accomplishments and leadership as a public educator in science,” the post said
    Uh, what accomplishments? And "as a public educator" in a field of study he knows nothing about. A+. Having been on the UofA campus WAY too much in my life, I can unequivocally say fuck that place.

To: David Turpin, President and vice-chancellor of the University of Alberta
    David, I understand that the University of Alberta has decided to award an Honorary Degree to David Suzuki.
    I have tried over the years to support the University as a whole, the Law School and the Golden Bears Hockey team. In part, I am able to do this because of the support my community provides me, and in part because of my employment in an industry related to the energy industry.
    I view this recent action by the University of Alberta as showing a high level of disrespect to this industry, while ignoring its contributions to our Province. Like others, I hope the U of A reverses this action while it can.
    A friend recently sent me a note regarding STARS, the Air Ambulance Service that was so quick to assist with the Humboldt tragedy. The corporate sponsors of that service include Shell, TransCanada, Enbridge, Canadian Natural, Crescent Pont, Exxon and many others. I don’t believe those sponsors include the David Suzuki Foundation.
    Energy and energy services companies, infrastructure companies, and all the offshoots of these entities, are present and supportive at every philanthropic event I attend. They support our hospitals, our children’s schools and sporting teams, our charities, and our universities. Other entities are noticeably absent.
    I am aligned with the people who support my community and my family. I do not want to associate with an institution that is facilitating an attack on this community.
    These views are my own, but I will share them with many.
    Jeff Lawson is a Principal & Director in the Corporate Finance group at Peters & Co. Limited

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Is the UofA presidents name really David Turpin? Name:  turpin.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  30.7 KB

My personal take: when will people stop giving a shit and starting drama over who a university gives an honorary degree to? They are a business, they can do as they choose. At the end of the day when someone earns an honorary degree they are usually too old for it to be worth a damn thing in the world anyways.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are a publicly funded institution
    FTFY. Hence, why I give a shit. They also bestow credibility on someone who should not have it.

Just to bring this to your level in a way that will resonate with you, this is like Forbes putting Trump on the top 500 richest people list, even though he never should have been on it. It gave him legitimacy that allowed him to continue to peddle his bullshit.

My personal take: when will people stop giving a shit and starting drama over who a university gives an honorary degree to? They are a business, they can do as they choose. At the end of the day when someone earns an honorary degree they are usually too old for it to be worth a damn thing in the world anyways.

Is your brain broken?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    FTFY. Hence, why I give a shit. They also bestow credibility on someone who should not have it.

Just to bring this to your level in a way that will resonate with you, this is like Forbes putting Trump on the top 500 richest people list, even though he never should have been on it. It gave him legitimacy that allowed him to continue to peddle his bullshit.
    That’s pretty disengenous, they’re a combination of publicly funded and privately funded, let me know when tuition and books are free and I’ll be right back at school getting another degree haha.

honorary degrees are a joke. Ralph Klein was given a doctorate in law, the guy didn’t even have a bachelors as far as I know and also in a field he has no business having any credentials in.

Don’t get stressed about something so meaningless

Online petition has ~6000 signatures https://www.canadaaction.ca/revoke_suzuki_honorary

That’s pretty disengenous, they’re a combination of publicly funded and privately funded, let me know when tuition and books are free and I’ll be right back at school getting another degree haha.

honorary degrees are a joke. Ralph Klein was given a doctorate in law, the guy didn’t even have a bachelors as far as I know and also in a field he has no business having any credentials in.

Don’t get stressed about something so meaningless
    Attacks on the O&G Sector is a pressing issue today, which is why it is raising red flags to honor someone who is directly part of the problem.

I mean you have a campus that is largely funded by the Energy companies he loves to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ickyflex View Post
    Attacks on the O&G Sector is a pressing issue today, which is why it is raising red flags to honor someone who is directly part of the problem.

I mean you have a campus that is largely funded by the Energy companies he loves to hate.
    Trust me I don’t support the guy whatsoever. I just realize the only people that will care (in a positive way) about this or be influenced by this are people that are already his fanboys.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

That’s pretty disengenous, they’re a combination of publicly funded and privately funded
    The pedantic nature of your post is both humorous and also a little pity worthy. How's that koolaid?

If its publicly funded, its publicly funded. The university's could not function without public money. Ergo, they are considered publicly funded.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:39 PM.

He should just decline it out of his entrenched hatred for us. But I think his ego is too big to turn it down.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    The pedantic nature of your post is both humorous and also a little pity worthy. How's that koolaid?

If its publicly funded, its publicly funded. The university's could not function without public money. Ergo, they are considered publicly funded.
    Not sure why I’m stressing you out so much now haha.

Again who really cares, honorary degrees are so meaningless

Not sure why I’m stressing you out so much now haha.

Again who really cares, honorary degrees are so meaningless
    If you don’t care why have you waded in with a contrarian point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    If you don’t care why have you waded in with a contrarian point of view?
    As I stated I’m not for or against, just not sure why people are making a huge deal over it? Move on, the guys 82, he hasn’t even been relevant for years. This means nothing, don’t get so worked up about it hahaha

I don't like it.

It legitimizes the higher institution with free publicity and unaccounted credit. Say I dropped out of elementary school, but invented and patented the doughnut and parmesan cheese. Then a culinary university decided to give me an honorary degree for my contributions to humanity. Even though that university may or may not have ever had any student that came out of it that produced anything other than kraft dinner.

That's my take as a realist. Associations based on actual real associations should be recognized, not given afterwards because "You really like what the guy did, but he ever actually cracked a book open here, or set one foot anywhere on campus."

That being said: I wouldn't say no to an honorary, so as long as its not from Trump University.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-24-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast