Quantcast
Thanking someone for moving out of the passing lane? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thanking someone for moving out of the passing lane?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default Thanking someone for moving out of the passing lane?

Is it customary in Calgary to wave a thank you if someone moves out of the way in the left lane going down Deerfoot? I feel like it is...I grew up Vancouver, nobody thanks anyone for anything, when I moved here I quickly learned that people thank each other for letting you in in heavy traffic...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:40 PM.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I think it's more " Wave after doing something stupid because that makes everything better and makes people forget the stupid thing I did" that happens more often. You are right that it's less of a thing in Vancouver, but in Vancouver they honk about all sorts of little things that don't make sense, which doesn't much happen here. I wave when people let me in at a zipper in at construction areas and traffic, but thats about it.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I've never waved or had someone wave to me, for moving over from the fast lane to allow a pass. It's just keeping the flow of traffic and is common sense.

I will wave if I'm doing something that might be disruptive, like having to do a merge and the other person clearly having to make way for in order to do so.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I think I just feel so damn grateful when someone actually moves over for you in the left lane haha these days it's just really surprising even though there are giant signs now coming in from Airdrie telling people that the lane is for passing.. Maybe I'm getting too old or I've been in Calgary too long but I actually feel myself getting emotionally upset if I let someone in in heavy traffic and I don't get a thank you haha
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 04-24-2018 at 07:08 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So someone who is going slower than traffic moves over and you want to thank them? Why? They were being a road nuisance first.

It's like when people wave after you honk at them for sitting at a green light. I don't want a wave I want you to fucking move.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline_Addict View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never waved or had someone wave to me, for moving over from the fast lane to allow a pass. It's just keeping the flow of traffic and is common sense.

I will wave if I'm doing something that might be disruptive, like having to do a merge and the other person clearly having to make way for in order to do so.
    I do a lot of highway driving and after I pass someone I immediately move over and never had anyone wave/thank me for doing it and vice versa. I only wave if someone clearly made room for me for like tight roads or merges, buuuut this is only in Calgary. I don't ever wave anywhere else especially in the US.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

No thanks needed. They are just doing what they are supposed to be doing. If you are getting passed on the right, you are in the wrong lane.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Lex350 View Post
    No thanks needed. They are just doing what they are supposed to be doing. If you are getting passed on the right, you are in the wrong lane.
    This. It just means they know how to drive.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    So someone who is going slower than traffic moves over and you want to thank them? Why? They were being a road nuisance first.

It's like when people wave after you honk at them for sitting at a green light. I don't want a wave I want you to fucking move.
    I should clarify, this is if I'm in the left lane coming up to someone already doing say 120-130...

My Ride
    This and that.

I always wave for other courteous drivers, although never if someone moves out of the fast lane as they shouldn't be there in the first fucking place. That's my biggest pet peeve, especially on highway. JUST FUCKING PASS AND MOVE OVER ALREADY! ARGH!

Anyway, I've noticed both in Edmonton and Calgary lately that fewer and fewer people are waving these days for obvious courtesy's that are being extended to them. Kind of a shitty trend but it is what it is I guess. A few years ago, every one waved now it's the odd person.

My Ride
    C43 Coupe

I've flashed my emergencies on for a quick second to show thanks once before (it's a huge thing in Europe). The driver who moved over actually turned his on for a quick second to acknowledge my thanks haha. How would you even have time to wave in the left lane? In the time it takes for them to move over and move back, I'm already gone lol.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I always wave for other courteous drivers, although never if someone moves out of the fast lane as they shouldn't be there in the first fucking place. That's my biggest pet peeve, especially on highway. JUST FUCKING PASS AND MOVE OVER ALREADY! ARGH!

Anyway, I've noticed both in Edmonton and Calgary lately that fewer and fewer people are waving these days for obvious courtesy's that are being extended to them. Kind of a shitty trend but it is what it is I guess. A few years ago, every one waved now it's the odd person.
    I think you passed me on the yellow head on Monday and we were both driving pretty slow and steady lol

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Hazards to say thanks for letting someone in is pretty common. ESP among truck drivers.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I think you passed me on the yellow head on Monday and we were both driving pretty slow and steady lol
    Lol. Serious? I was there on Monday I believe heading to Lloydminster. I was probably no more than 20 kmh over the limit. lol

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Since owning a truck I've noticed people seem more willing to GTFO youre way in the left lane lol.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Lol. Serious? I was there on Monday I believe heading to Lloydminster. I was probably no more than 20 kmh over the limit. lol
    At the time you definitely weren’t speeding at all, I just happened to notice your car.

Thankyous or any type of driver courtesy whatsoever is not customary in Calgary, if you see any behavior like that consider yourself lucky.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Last night while on the bike, I had a guy turn left from the side road to my right. He had ample room, but decided to take the turn at < 1KPH. Even with me already slowing down and watching him, I gave him my horn and he just waved I guess to say sorry? Why is it people wave when they do something stupid as if that makes it all ok?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    At the time you definitely weren’t speeding at all, I just happened to notice your car.
    Oh. That's excellent!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast